News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Aging road signs

Started by Billy F 1988, December 26, 2012, 12:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on May 21, 2013, 04:34:21 PM
I can understand your point on the carjacking

Are you sure?  Because it really sounds like you didn't get that it was a joke.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Billy F 1988

Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

kphoger

whoosh...

OK.  "Park no through traffic."  If it's one's own vehicle that he intends to park, then it is by definition not through traffic.  The only way one can possibly disobey the sign is to carjack someone else's vehicle–someone who intends to reach another destination–and then park it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Billy F 1988

This one has been here in Missoula for while. Only thing that could have made this one better was using regular case instead of all-caps and no black background on the 93 shield. A copy of that is seen on the westbound side going to the airport.

Don't know what year this one was installed, but my guess is that it's 1987, 88, or 89, and it's wood, too. Probably one of only around five or six wooden examples left in this town.

Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

agentsteel53

the 93 shield looks to have been added later.  if it was rerouted in a given year, then that may nail down when the sign was modified.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Billy F 1988

This looks pretty old but I do wonder what the highway was before it was renumbered to 42. It looks like there was a suffixed 2di highway before it was changed to 42 which explains the overlap on the route marker.

NE2

The Goog says MT 24W, which fits.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Billy F 1988

Still soldering on after over 30 years. This sits along I-90 Business/US 93 Business.

SidS1045

I'm sure someone has a picture of the way-past-its-usable-life pull-through on northbound I-95/MA-128 at the Lexington service area/MA-2A exit.  I haven't been able to get a clear picture of it myself.  In case no one has the picture, the reflective sheeting is full of holes and the I-95 shield's paint has faded into nothing.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

ET21

Worse nowadays. The interstate shield is barely legible on very sunny days.

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

NE2

I can't see any Interstate shield in that image hosted by Angelfire.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SidS1045

Quote from: NE2 on May 25, 2013, 01:47:42 AM
I can't see any image in that image hosted by Angelfire.

Fixed.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

1995hoo

I still don't see any image, just a "hosted by Angelfire" box.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

PurdueBill

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 26, 2013, 12:46:32 PM
I still don't see any image, just a "hosted by Angelfire" box.

Same here.

Billy F 1988

Did you put a URL tag in the IMG string? That may be why the Angelfire image is showing because of hotlink issues and such.

Zeffy

Quote from: ET21 on May 25, 2013, 01:40:04 AM
Worse nowadays. The interstate shield is barely legible on very sunny days.

Fixed for you:

Fun fact: You can't link images from AngelFire.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

PHLBOS

Ian/PennDOTfan has a photo of it in his flickr account.

I drove by there yesterday; that BGS is still there.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Scott5114

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on May 20, 2013, 09:14:37 PM
If you look closely, you can see rivets attaching each legend and symbol to the sign, so you could call this somewhat a button copy.

That's a different beast: demountable copy, which in my opinion is almost as awesome as button copy, since it has all the hand-assembled feel of button copy but is entirely retroreflective. Kansas was using it well into the 2000s.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

^^^

Kentucky still uses demountable copy. There aren't many instances of greenout in use in the Bluegrass State.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Billy F 1988

Apologies for the bump.

Some straggling 1961 series US square shields are still up in service in Missoula.

There are only maybe 5 or 6 of these '61 spec US shields leftover in Missoula. This US 12 example along 5th Street is one clue to that.

You already had seen the eastbound panel. This westbound panel is nearing its last days on those metal posts. Compare this one to the Chris Kalina photo from over five years ago. There is absolutely no red on the crown, and the '57 series Interstate 90 shield is slowly beginning to deteriorate. The tip of the crown in essence has begun to peel off. Under MUTCD 2009 specs, this sign should be long gone with the '61/'70 series Interstate shield, and the '70 US shield.

:hmmm: WTF? An EAST cardinal auxiliary sign with no white border?! Yeah, it may be aged, but why was this put up when several months before, I pass by it and it had the standard white border? Did someone climb up the post and unscrew the bordered one off or something? Don't know the answer to that but I'd say it is the first time I've seen a borderless cardinal auxiliary sign. Erroneous? Yes. But I'm not going that far in putting this in Erroneous Road Signs.

The days of embossed contractor signs have since been "replaced", but I have come across this example as I trot along Central Avenue. There are a couple more at a property along Front Street just across from St. Patrick Hospital like this one.

Mergingtraffic

Here's one....aging but STILL there as of last week.

and I guess you would call this riveted?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

D-Dey65

Quote from: roadman65 on February 07, 2013, 08:10:39 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Washington+Heights,+New+York,+NY&hl=en&ll=40.84943,-73.939351&spn=0.001984,0.005284&sll=27.698638,-83.804601&sspn=9.892242,21.643066&oq=washington+h&t=h&hnear=Washington+Heights,+New+York&z=18&layer=c&cbll=40.849457,-73.939477&panoid=tlr-NdD1cOPyxpEDqt79BA&cbp=12,274.33,,0,0

The shield in the assembly not only is faded, but it on a blue sign.  I am guessing this was a US 9 shield as this is at the 179th Street entrance to the George Washington Bridge in NYC, where US 9 SB enters the I-95/ US 1 Freeway.
I found a couple of others where the bus on-ramp and US 9 on-ramp merge before both join I-95 and US 1 on the GWB, and at the police U-Turn back to Manhattan.

PA Bus and US 9 On-Ramp merge;
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.849611,-73.9411201,3a,75y,305.31h,95.88t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZmGKwU4xVyeOAG8fxBSV7Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

U-Turn:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8496159,-73.9412416,3a,15y,199.53h,92.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZkJEu9POl5ceU8ay28lgHw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Quote from: Zeffy on May 26, 2013, 09:11:15 PM
Fun fact: You can't link images from AngelFire.
And now, it's the same with Photobucket.

paulthemapguy

I'm gonna respond to this thread with a Mitch Hedberg bit.  "My friend showed me a photo and said 'this is a picture of me when I was younger.'  Every picture is a picture of you when you were younger."

"Show me a road sign that is aging."
"Every road sign is a road sign that is aging."  :sombrero:

Not directly analogous but it still reminded me of Mitch lol

I maintain the road sign database for the public road agency where I work...I could post all 4000+ of our proprietary photos...but I probably shouldn't do that.  We have some pretty dismally old signs out here, but that's why I was appointed this position relatively recently.  Things are starting to get better, I think.

So, instead....look at my flickr account?  https://www.flickr.com/photos/138603251@N02/albums  :D
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

hockeyjohn

Harrisville, Mich.

Sheridan, Ind.

Calumet, Mich. (these must be from at least the 1940s if not the '30s?) - the hexagonal arrow sign beneath the M-203 sign went missing sometime between my first (1997) and second trips (2014) to the Keweenaw Peninsula.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.