News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Cities that aren't

Started by hotdogPi, April 27, 2018, 05:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on April 30, 2018, 11:32:39 AM
I guess I can do West Virginia.

Barrackville.  Named for a guy named Barrack, never was a military barracks.

I think we can guess who it WASN'T named after.  :bigass:

QuoteGlen, Glen Dale, Glen Daniel, Glen Easton, Glen Ferris, Glen Fork, Glen Jean, Glen Rogers, Glenferris, Glendon, Glenhayes, Glenville and Glenhayes, were all named by Scottish or Scots-Irish immigrants and none are in a glen.

I had noticed a lot of "Glen ..." names in West Virginia, many of them around Beckley.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

index

South Charleston, WV is north of Charleston.
East Liverpool, OH has no Liverpool counterpart.
Frostproof, FL is not frostproof.
Seven Lakes, NC has more than seven lakes.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Doctor Whom

In Maryland, Ellicott City and Maryland City are CDP's, and Chesapeake City, Cottage City, and Ocean City are towns.

bing101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unincorporated_area

This??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arden-Arcade,_California

Arden-Arcade, CA and its Sacramento County Territory

Note Here are  other unincorporated areas of Sacramento COunty that we sometimes think as cities.

Antelope, Arden-Arcade, Carmichael, Clay, Courtland, Elverta, Fair Oaks, Florin, Foothill Farms, Franklin, Freeport, Fruitridge Pocket ,Gold River, Herald ,Hood ,La Riviera Lemon Hill, Mather, McClellan Park, North Highlands, Orangevale ,Parkway, Rancho Murieta, Rio Linda, Rosemont, Vineyard ,Walnut Grove and Wilton

bing101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise,_Nevada

There is Paradise, NV a Clark County Territory that has "The Strip" but everybody else outside of Nevada thinks the Strip is in Las Vegas when its not.

LM117

A few from NC:

Siler City
Seven Springs
Four Oaks
Surf City
Oak Island
Pink Hill
Snow Hill
Rose Hill
Magnolia
Oak City
Turkey
Roseboro
Spring Lake
Red Oak
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

hbelkins

One more comment about West Virginia, specifically Hurricane (which is pronounced "Her-ih-kuhn," not "Her-ih-kane.")

There are also communities named Cyclone and Tornado. Tornado isn't too far away, but Cyclone is up in the mountains. In around two hours, you can drive to all three communities.

https://goo.gl/maps/AjZBphgMzcm

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US 89

Quote from: hbelkins on April 30, 2018, 08:57:16 PM
One more comment about West Virginia, specifically Hurricane (which is pronounced "Her-ih-kuhn," not "Her-ih-kane.")

That's the pronunciation of Hurricane, UT as well. It rhymes with nearby "La Verkin".

GenExpwy

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 30, 2018, 09:18:55 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 27, 2018, 11:19:19 PM
Many people consider each of NYC's five boroughs to be cities in themselves.   As each borough are like their own municipality (and each one in itself is several times larger than most American cities) many just treat them as five completely different cities even though all part of the Great New York.

Of course, it gets more complicated once the Post Office gets involved.  Addresses in the Bronx are addressed "Bronx, NY."  Addresses in Brooklyn are addressed "Brooklyn, NY."  Addresses on Staten Island are addressed "Staten Island, NY."  With me so far?  Addresses in Manhattan are addressed "New York, NY" and addresses in Queens are addressed "[neighborhood in Queens], NY" (such as Astoria, NY or Kew Gardens, NY).

For most of NYC, the Post Office name is the same as what that section had before the 1898 consolidation.

SP Cook

Quote from: index on April 30, 2018, 03:43:46 PM
South Charleston, WV is north of Charleston.

Because of crazy quilt annexations that never should have been permitted, parts of South Charleston are north, south, east, and west of parts of Charleston.  Downtown South Charleston is directly across the river, and thus south of the Charleston neighborhood of North Charleston.  But it is correct that downtown Charleston is both east and slightly south of downtown South Charleston. 

Keeping with the "city" theme two other neighborhoods in Charleston are "Elk City" and "Kanawha City", neither of which are cities, just neighborhoods.  Huntington also has a "Central City" neighborhood which is not a city, just a neighborhood and on the edge of town, not in its center. 

Quote from: hbelkins on April 30, 2018, 08:57:16 PM

Yes.  And it is like Versailles in Kentucky or Toledo in Ohio.   That is just the way it is pronounced, by everybody who knows how to pronounce it correctly, not a function of an Appalachian accent.  If I said the phrase "There has never been a hurricane in Hurricane", I would pronounce the two words differently, as would everybody else here.

BTW, there is also a Mount Storm.

bing101

There are Two Londons in the UK https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_London     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_London  and in  the same general spot.

bing101

Hollywood, California its a district in Los Angeles plus TV,Radio,Film, Podcasts and Youtube shows are not really filmed in Hollywood but near the CA-134 freeway. People outside of Los Angeles think Hollywood is a city in the area and films are based

Also the kicker Alabama Claims to have the real Hollywood along with Florida.

http://www.al.com/living/index.ssf/2012/11/more_than_2_decades_ago_the_re.html

PHLBOS

Quote from: GenExpwy on April 28, 2018, 02:03:00 AM
Quote from: Takumi on April 27, 2018, 09:56:53 PM
Rhode Island is neither a road nor an island.
However, it does have an island called "Rhode Island" , best known for the city of Newport.
Actually, that island (which also includes Middletown & Portsmouth & is a portion of Newport County) is known as Aquidneck Island.

Quote from: oscar on April 28, 2018, 04:57:00 PM
Quote from: wxfree on April 28, 2018, 09:43:17 AM
Quote from: oscar on April 27, 2018, 10:10:26 PMOf course, "Rhode Island" isn't "Rhode Island". Official state name is "Rhode Island and Providence Plantations". Smallest state, biggest name.
In 2010 there was a failed attempt at a constitutional amendment to change the name to "State of Rhode Island."  The No vote won with 78%.  I would have voted to approve it, but I can understand why people are reluctant to change something as foundational as the name of a state, even a name almost no one knows.
The long name for the state of Rhode Island stuck in my mind because long ago I was working on a project with the state attorney general's office. We felt compelled to include "and Providence Plantations" in the state name, in all our correspondence with attorneys in the office. Copy and paste came in handy for that.
Interestingly, all the RI Professional Licensing seals (PE, LS, Architect, etc.) only list STATE OF RHODE ISLAND in them.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

english si

Quote from: bing101 on May 01, 2018, 03:05:45 PMThere are Two Londons in the UK https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_London     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_London  and in  the same general spot.
CP Grey doesn't get things quite right. I find this is typical of him when it comes to stuff I know about, though obviously can't say for the stuff I don't. It really irks me as he's close, comes off as correct, but is actually spreading mistruths.

Westminster predates William the Conqueror (it's where he was crowned as it was already the seat of power), with the Abbey built by Edward the Confessor, on the site of an older one. CP implies it post-dates 'Guillieme the Bastard' (as he was known then, and should be known now, especially the bastard part - and not in the sense that his parents weren't married).

Then 'lands and buildings far outside its border' - is accompanied by captioned photos: one is lands outside the border, and two are buildings inside the border. Where's Parliament Hill Lido or the City of London Crematorium for buildings (lands outside the border are easier than buildings)?

Plus, and most importantly, Greater London with a hole doesn't have a mayor - it's a regional post, not the county, and so includes the City of London. The City of London is more independent of the Mayor though, with it's own police force and the like (also Police Forces in the UK might cover more than one county, and until the regional government of London was created, the boundaries of the Met weren't the same as the boundaries of the county).

Greater London (the county) has a coat of arms and a flag, but the county doesn't have any functions - no council, no nothing as everything is either covered by the boroughs, or by the regional authority. Given CP repeatedly confused the county with the region, I'm surprised he said that Greater London doesn't have these things - because the county does.

Then the second video fails to understand 'Time Immemorial' (it's having such rights in 1275 since before 1189 and thus not needing to prove how or when they got them) and blames the age of the city for the messy electoral system - but none of Bangor, Canterbury, Durham, Exeter, Hereford, Lichfield, Wells, Winchester, Worcester, nor York (ditto Lincoln, Chichester, Bath, Norwich, Coventry and Carlisle, which could claim Time Immemorial if they wanted to, but use the actual charter) don't have a complex system of electing a Lord Mayor (and not all those cities have Lord Mayors, which are a separate status symbol granted by the monarch).

----------

As city status in the UK is something granted by the monarch at certain times (normally Jubilees and other special ceremonial occasions), there's quite a few impostor attempts, as well as genuine historic nicknames that don't reflect the actual status.

These signs have since been replaced, and while technically true that MK was called 'New City' in planning documents (but not legal instruments), it is not a city*. They have since, both accurately and misleadingly, called themselves a county.

*and it's deeply controversial to say so, but it won't be for some time - on every criteria that candidates submit their bids on, it is no better than third-best, and often much further down the list. Yet people - even those who you can't blame civic pride for - treat it as if it is the second most-obvious place, behind Reading, to get city status. There was a 'huh?' when Chelmsford got it in 2012, but as a cathedral town that is the seat of the second most populous county council, that's not close to other cities and has a lot of people (as many as Reading 'city' proper, who's urban area overspills beyond the borders), it ticks a lot of boxes. Whereas Reading is 'lots of people, large urban area, former county town for just over 100 years of a mid-sized county' and doesn't tick as many - just ticks the urban area one better.

abefroman329

It is surprising that Reading is not a city, but I also remember from living there that the bus tickets read "Reading Town Centre" and not "City Centre," so.

english si

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 02, 2018, 03:23:25 PMIt is surprising that Reading is not a city, but I also remember from living there that the bus tickets read "Reading Town Centre" and not "City Centre," so.
They changed that to City Centre, then had to change that back because it wasn't a city, IIRC.

It doesn't help Reading that the border is very tight and so half the urban area is outside it - Berks would have been better with Wokingham split between Bracknell Forest, Windsor & Maidenhead and Reading. It doesn't help that Berkshire County Council was abolished. It doesn't help that Oxford isn't that far away (and so there never needed to be a cathedral in Reading). It doesn't help that sheer size is low down the criteria looked at. It certainly doesn't help that Reading seems to think it's owed city status, so doesn't make amazing bids as it doesn't think it needs to.

Reading will probably become a city in 2026 or 2027 (assuming the Queen lives as long as her mum and that they do city status for the 100th Birthday, and/or the 75th Jubilee) - I don't think 2022 (70th Jubilee) will be successful for Reading if certain other towns bid as Reading isn't top even on criteria designed to favour Reading (other than 'is called Reading' obviously) like urban area population. And if the criteria are the same as the other times...

lepidopteran

Quote from: bing101 on May 02, 2018, 12:29:56 AM
Hollywood, California its a district in Los Angeles plus TV,Radio,Film, Podcasts and Youtube shows are not really filmed in Hollywood but near the CA-134 freeway. People outside of Los Angeles think Hollywood is a city in the area and films are in the area
I might be showing my age here, but...

When "All in the Family" originally aired on CBS, just before the opening theme song commenced, a voiceover against a black background proclaimed, "From Television City in Hollywood".  Yet that studio complex is actually located in the Fairfax district of L.A., not Hollywood.  The ticket plugs on The Price is Right, also taped at Television City, clearly say "7800 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles".  (Rumor has it that the studio's days may be numbered, FWIW.)

Meanwhile, on NBC, during the last 20 years that Johnny Carson hosted The Tonight Show, Ed McMahon's famous schpeil ending in "Heeeeere's Johnny!" used to begin with "Frommmmm Hollywood! The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson".  Only problem is, NBC's studios are on Alameda Ave. in Burbank -- this is in the San Fernando Valley, which is nowhere near Hollywood.  (Ahhh, but it is near North Hollywood!  ;-))  Indeed, when Jay Leno took over, the new intro sequence made specific mention of Burbank.  Of course, now with Jimmy Fallon, The Tonight Show broadcast from neither Burbank, L.A., or Hollywood -- like Carson's first 10 years and before, it's back in New York.

I once asked a tour guide why they used Hollywood when it wasn't.  They replied along the lines of, those folks out east think it's all the same place.

abefroman329

Quote from: lepidopteran on May 02, 2018, 07:56:27 PM
Meanwhile, on NBC, during the last 20 years that Johnny Carson hosted The Tonight Show, Ed McMahon's famous schpeil ending in "Heeeeere's Johnny!" used to begin with "Frommmmm Hollywood! The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson".  Only problem is, NBC's studios are on Alameda Ave. in Burbank -- this is in the San Fernando Valley, which is nowhere near Hollywood.

"From Burbank!" wouldn't have jibed well with Carson's regular jokes about Burbank, though.

CNGL-Leudimin

At first I thought this was about any location that doesn't live up to its name, but since others have mentioned cities in function that don't have that title, I thus bring up Madrid, Spain, which isn't a city either but a town :sombrero:. But that is just honorary, as there is only one type of municipalities in Spain.

N.b.: I took the liberty of translating Villa as "Town".
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

hotdogPi

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 03, 2018, 11:27:13 AM
At first I thought this was about any location that doesn't live up to its name, but since others have mentioned cities in function that don't have that title, I thus bring up Madrid, Spain, which isn't a city either but a town :sombrero:. But that is just honorary, as there is only one type of municipalities in Spain.

N.b.: I took the liberty of translating Villa as "Town".

Other people have been interpreting this thread much more narrowly than I intended.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Mrt90

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 28, 2018, 07:28:52 PM
WI:
Genoa City - a village
Junction City - also a village
Marathon City - I guess to distinguish from the county - but still a village.  Marathon, Marathon, WI
Pleasant Prairie - I don't see prairies there.
Wrightstown....

You need to look a little harder for the prairie in Pleasant Prairie...

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/lands/naturalareas/index.asp?SNA=54

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5038687,-87.8126504,1069m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

briantroutman

"From Television City in Hollywood"

In addition to All in the Family, I think many if not most shows taped at CBS Television City (that made mention of their taping location) also referenced "Hollywood" –I can think of The Price Is Right, Press Your Luck, and the $25,000 Pyramid just offhand.

Likewise, I notice that Universal will distinguish its California attraction from its Florida one by referring to it as "Universal Studios Hollywood" –and sometimes with the tagline "The Entertainment Capital of L.A."  That despite it being neither in Hollywood nor the city of Los Angeles. It's quite a turnabout from their years of promoting productions as being filmed in "Universal City, Calif." –when it seemed that they were positioning themselves almost as a counter to the Hollywood establishment.

I think the NBC tour guide was more or less correct; most people across the country (and across the world) probably associate any film or TV production in southern California with "Hollywood" –regardless of the specific geography. Heck, when I lived in the San Francisco area, I remember getting inane questions from less sophisticated relatives when they merely heard that I lived "...in California" –as if everyone in the state rubbed elbows with celebrities and had summer-like weather year round.

kphoger

Here are some trees in Notrees, TX.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mrsman

Quote from: bing101 on May 02, 2018, 12:29:56 AM
Hollywood, California its a district in Los Angeles plus TV,Radio,Film, Podcasts and Youtube shows are not really filmed in Hollywood but near the CA-134 freeway. People outside of Los Angeles think Hollywood is a city in the area and films are in the area
I might be showing my age here, but...

When "All in the Family" originally aired on CBS, just before the opening theme song commenced, a voiceover against a black background proclaimed, "From Television City in Hollywood".  Yet that studio complex is actually located in the Fairfax district of L.A., not Hollywood.  The ticket plugs on The Price is Right, also taped at Television City, clearly say "7800 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles".  (Rumor has it that the studio's days may be numbered, FWIW.)

Meanwhile, on NBC, during the last 20 years that Johnny Carson hosted The Tonight Show, Ed McMahon's famous schpeil ending in "Heeeeere's Johnny!" used to begin with "Frommmmm Hollywood! The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson".  Only problem is, NBC's studios are on Alameda Ave. in Burbank -- this is in the San Fernando Valley, which is nowhere near Hollywood.  (Ahhh, but it is near North Hollywood!  ;-))  Indeed, when Jay Leno took over, the new intro sequence made specific mention of Burbank.  Of course, now with Jimmy Fallon, The Tonight Show broadcast from neither Burbank, L.A., or Hollywood -- like Carson's first 10 years and before, it's back in New York.

I once asked a tour guide why they used Hollywood when it wasn't.  They replied along the lines of, those folks out east think it's all the same place.

As an L.A. native who actually grew up in the Hollywood district I understand that there is a lot of cachet to use the term "Hollywood". 

In the old days, Hollywood was essentially defined as being roughly the area surrounded by Doheny-Melrose-Hyperion and the mid-point of the "hills" (Mullholland Dr. if you are west of the 101).  Hollywood's CBD, was of course along Hollywood Blvd, between La Brea and Gower.  It was L.A.'s entertainment mecca for movies as well as stage (i.e. Pantages Theater).  As certain neighborhoods within the Hollywood area became more prominent, the definition of what is Hollywood shrunk.  West Hollywood was not part of LA (and eventually became its own city) so it had a distinct character, Los Feliz and Hollywood Hills could be easily defined as being separate from the main part of Hollywood.  There even was a term for East Hollywood for the section east of Western Ave which is distinct from the entertainment focused zones of the area west of Western.   

In the oldest days, the studios were all within the boundaries of Hollywood for movies, TV, and some radio.  There were some studios in East Hollywood near the Sunset/Hollywood intersection and some substantial studios also in the south section of Hollywood.  (Paramount is still there along Melrose  Ave.)  The networks' west coast presence was very close to the CBD with NBC right on the corner of Sunset/Vine and the other networks relatively close.

As more movies got produced, the production company needed more land and expanded outside of the Hollywood area.  MGM was in Culver City; 20th Century Fox in West L.A. (now known as Century City); Warner Bros. and Disney moved to Burbank; and Universal moved just over the hill to North Hollywood (its land is still not part of the city of L.A. and is known as Universal City).  The TV networks and the local LA TV channels largely took over many of the smaller studios that the movie studios left.

But even TV grew more and more.  CBS still kept their west coast business offices at Columbia Square (Sunset Blvd) for a while, but started filming shows in Studio City in the Valley and certain shows with a live studio audience at Television City.  Television City is on Beverly near Fairfax only 1/2 mile south of Hollywood's border and 1 mile east of Beverly/La Cienega, the center of the TMZ.  Calling this area Hollywood is reasonable IMO, even if not precise. 

NBC was the first network to leave Hollywood for Burbank.  While the intro to Carson identified the place as Hollywood, "Laugh-in" was more than happy to be identified as coming from "Beautiful Downtown Burbank."

With NBC, Warner, and Disney all in Burbank, and Universal just outside the Burbank city limits - Burbank has become the new media district.  More and more movie and TV production is happening along the 134 corridor (even into Glendale).  And as the networks were all bought out by movie studios, there is now an even bigger push to consolidate the network properties within the confines of the movie studios.  So while it was OK for many years for ABC to handle their west coast operations on Prospect Av in East Hollywood, when Disney bought them, they moved them to Glendale.  NBC is making their way out of Burbank to property within the Universal Studios property etc.

So to me, if an area is close to Hollywood (Universal, TV City) we can call it Hollywood.  Otherwise, it should be known as where it is actually from.  West Los Angeles, Culver City, Burbank, Glendale.

RobbieL2415

Then there's the town of Agawam, MA.  A municipality that is legally incorporated as a city but calls itself a town.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.