News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Toys 'R' Us to file bankruptcy

Started by LM117, September 18, 2017, 08:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTComposer

The Babies R Us closest to us is closing. Not surprised as I never saw it terribly busy, but we found the staff to be much nicer and more helpful than the Buy Buy Baby a mile away. Our little one has grown out of needing either store, and we now visit our local independent toyseller or shop online.

kkt

"I don't wanna go bust, I'm a Toys-R-Us kid..."

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

US71

My local Toys R Us is advertising "At least 50 percent off "everything, but most items are 20-30 percent off, except Legos which are still full price.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

wanderer2575

This is what happens when a business is bought by an investment firm that sets its sights on "maximizing leverage" and "value-added synergy" but has absolutely no idea how to actually run the business.

US71

Quote from: wanderer2575 on March 10, 2018, 10:19:24 AM
This is what happens when a business is bought by an investment firm that sets its sights on "maximizing leverage" and "value-added synergy" but has absolutely no idea how to actually run the business.

Private Equity firms are more about squeezing all the money out a company, then selling the empty husk.

formulanone

Quote from: US71 on March 10, 2018, 10:03:19 AM
My local Toys R Us is advertising "At least 50 percent off "everything, but most items are 20-30 percent off, except Legos which are still full price.

Naturally, the one thing I was was interested in. Oh, and my son.

kkt

Quote from: formulanone on March 10, 2018, 05:01:09 PM
Quote from: US71 on March 10, 2018, 10:03:19 AM

Naturally, the one thing I was was interested in. Oh, and my son.

Yes, likewise.  Although I don't know that there's a Toys-R-Us anywhere near me anymore.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: US71 on March 10, 2018, 01:48:11 PM

Private Equity firms are more about squeezing all the money out a company, then selling the empty husk.

Planned liquidation is a perfectly acceptable strategy to protect shareholder wealth, particularly if the future looks bleak for the company or industry.

US71

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on March 10, 2018, 09:53:53 PM

Planned liquidation is a perfectly acceptable strategy to protect shareholder wealth, particularly if the future looks bleak for the company or industry.

I didn't know private equity firms had shareholders.?

AlexandriaVA

Good catch, didn't see that, but same principle. Liquidate, get out of the market, let someone else bear the loss.

Quote from: US71 on March 10, 2018, 09:56:48 PM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on March 10, 2018, 09:53:53 PM

I didn't know private equity firms had shareholders.?

Scott5114

The thing they have in common is the pathological focus on quarterly profits rather than long-term growth.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brandon

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 11, 2018, 02:44:08 PM
The thing they have in common is the pathological focus on quarterly profits rather than long-term growth.

That sums up Wall Street in general.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

AlexandriaVA

Too much emphasis on long-term growth can lead to forgone opportunities or allow competitors to cut into the market. There's simply no perfect solution...some firms get it right, others don't. In retail, like with Toys-R-Us, the long-term strategy is probably getting out of the market unless you are Amazon, Target, or Wal-Mart. The point is that liquidations, even self-imposed, are a natural part of the business cycle. Preservation for preservation's sake can be a very misguided philosophy.

kkt

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 11, 2018, 02:44:08 PM

"The speed of technological advancement isn't nearly as important as short term quarterly gains." - Quark, Deep Space 9 'Little Green Men'

GCrites

In my area, most TRUs that are left are in buildings that are at least 25 years old if not 35. Standalones that old around here tend to be in areas that have been supplanted by newer developments further from the core. Had they moved at the same time as other retailers they would have had a better chance of making it I feel.

US71

Looks like Stein Marts may be next.

GCrites

I think we had plenty of warning with Stein Mart. Three of the showcase fixtures in one of my stores are from a Stein Mart in Cincinnati that closed over 10 years ago. So I have store fixtures from Blockbuster and Stein Mart there and the space itself is an old Kay-Bee. The other showcases in it look Suncoast-y but I can't verify that.

US71

Quote from: GCrites80s on March 11, 2018, 09:44:51 PM
I think we had plenty of warning with Stein Mart. Three of the showcase fixtures in one of my stores are from a Stein Mart in Cincinnati that closed over 10 years ago. So I have store fixtures from Blockbuster and Stein Mart there and the space itself is an old Kay-Bee. The other showcases in it look Suncoast-y but I can't verify that.

Do you sell old store fixtures?

cl94

Quote from: GCrites80s on March 11, 2018, 09:03:52 PM
In my area, most TRUs that are left are in buildings that are at least 25 years old if not 35. Standalones that old around here tend to be in areas that have been supplanted by newer developments further from the core. Had they moved at the same time as other retailers they would have had a better chance of making it I feel.
That's generally the case in the northeast, too. With a few exceptions, most of them are OLD and in bad locations (either far from other major shopping or hard to access).

Quote from: US71 on March 11, 2018, 09:10:59 PM
Looks like Stein Marts may be next.
Agree that we had quite a bit of warning. They've been slowly closing for a while.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Road Hog

Brick-and-mortar retail is a complete bear trap right now. Very few companies thriving out there right now, and most of those are working on inertia like Walmart. (Kinda sounds like newspapers when you think of it.)

formulanone

Quote from: GCrites80s on March 11, 2018, 09:03:52 PM

I've also noticed that a bunch of Toys R Us stores are located near shopping malls. So when the malls went bust...

Brandon

Quote from: Road Hog on March 12, 2018, 02:32:08 AM
Brick-and-mortar retail is a complete bear trap right now. Very few companies thriving out there right now, and most of those are working on inertia like Walmart. (Kinda sounds like newspapers when you think of it.)

It's not like Amazon makes money from its retail operations.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmarkman/2017/05/23/the-amazon-era-no-profits-no-problem/#138e9468437a
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

GCrites

Quote from: US71 on March 11, 2018, 09:50:13 PM

No, I have game stores. I don't have any unneeded fixtures right now. Columbus is definitely the hub of store fixtures stores/warehouses in Ohio though.

US71

Quote from: GCrites80s on March 12, 2018, 10:46:26 AM
Quote from: US71 on March 11, 2018, 09:50:13 PM

No, I have game stores. I don't have any unneeded fixtures right now. Columbus is definitely the hub of store fixtures stores/warehouses in Ohio though.

Just curious since you mentioned old store fixtures.  :)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.