News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Foodie fun

Started by Alps, July 04, 2019, 09:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Calling all my fellow foodies in this community. What are your favorite oddball food places or foods? What's the strangest thing you've ever eaten? I'm up to loving BBQ raccoon and having eating guinea pig eye. Muskrat, various brains, horse, whale, hakarl, I guess most of my list is meat. I have not yet tried durian but I've had cheese that makes Limburger seem tame. (But not casa marzu.) Your turn.

(ETA food combinations I've tried. Eclairs and guacamole. Whole anchovies and honey mustard. Scrapple milkshake.)

(Just have fun with the weird foods you've had. This isn't about one-upmanship, but if you've eaten something even weirder than me, cool!)

oscar

My weird food favorite is frozen glazed individual-serving cherry pies, preferably Krispy Kreme though any that will freeze solid (unlike Hostess or some other brands) will do. Totally unhealthy, so I reserve that for major sports or political victories (not much of the latter for me lately).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

AlexandriaVA

A lot of Cantonese cuisine can be interesting on its way down...sea cucumber has to be on the top of the list. A delicacy at Chinese banquets, but quite gelatinous.

1995hoo

There used to be (it's long closed now) a pizza place named PieWorks near my apartment in Durham and they were known for their many unconventional toppings. My favorite was the rattlesnake sausage. PieWorks was also the first place I tried alligator, again as a pizza topping, but it didn't do much for me there–basically tasted like chicken. I later tried smoked gator ribs at a place near Tampa and didn't much care for them because they were too tough and chewy, though the fried gator tail was delicious.

I've grilled mako shark steaks a couple of times but have never been satisfied with the results, so I haven't tried it in a long time.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

OracleUsr

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 05, 2019, 12:52:44 PM
There used to be (it's long closed now) a pizza place named PieWorks near my apartment in Durham and they were known for their many unconventional toppings. My favorite was the rattlesnake sausage. PieWorks was also the first place I tried alligator, again as a pizza topping, but it didn't do much for me there–basically tasted like chicken. I later tried smoked gator ribs at a place near Tampa and didn't much care for them because they were too tough and chewy, though the fried gator tail was delicious.

I've grilled mako shark steaks a couple of times but have never been satisfied with the results, so I haven't tried it in a long time.

PieWorks rocked (they had two locations in Greensboro, too).

Shrimp on pizza is one I have tried recently from Brixx.

I have had Korean food where they serve you a fish whole with some spicy sauce on top.  Now that's some good food!!
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

sparker

On my way to get Thai takeout in Santa Clara earlier this evening, I passed a place advertising ice cream tacos.  Was in a hurry so didn't check it out -- but I'm going to bet they had some taco-shaped sugar cones made.  I'll probably stop in sometime in the next couple of weeks -- if they last that long (this area is notorious for short-lived eating places)!

nexus73

Quote from: OracleUsr on July 07, 2019, 11:35:50 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 05, 2019, 12:52:44 PM
There used to be (it's long closed now) a pizza place named PieWorks near my apartment in Durham and they were known for their many unconventional toppings. My favorite was the rattlesnake sausage. PieWorks was also the first place I tried alligator, again as a pizza topping, but it didn't do much for me there—basically tasted like chicken. I later tried smoked gator ribs at a place near Tampa and didn't much care for them because they were too tough and chewy, though the fried gator tail was delicious.

PieWorks rocked (they had two locations in Greensboro, too).

Shrimp on pizza is one I have tried recently from Brixx.

I have had Korean food where they serve you a fish whole with some spicy sauce on top.  Now that's some good food!!

Shrimp on pizza shows up on menus about half the time around here.  My order is called the "Louisiana Special" (by me) and it has shrimp, Italian sausage, white onion, green bell peppers, light on the mozzarella cheese and heavy on the red sauce, all placed on a thin crust.  Sprinkle a few hot pepper flakes on and your taste buds will light up!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: OracleUsr on July 07, 2019, 11:35:50 PM

In almost every instance where I've had fish in Asia (or at an Asian restaurant in the US), the fish is served whole (skin, bones, head included) with whatever topping/sauce that comes with it. You pick meat off of the fish, which is served to the table as a whole (as with most entrees).

cjk374

Quote from: sparker on July 14, 2019, 02:16:34 AM
On my way to get Thai takeout in Santa Clara earlier this evening, I passed a place advertising ice cream tacos.  Was in a hurry so didn't check it out -- but I'm going to bet they had some taco-shaped sugar cones made.  I'll probably stop in sometime in the next couple of weeks -- if they last that long (this area is notorious for short-lived eating places)!

https://images.app.goo.gl/jVX6ZkSESfTfYtaH8
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

tolbs17

I love eating chicken with fries. My favorite! Either Jersey Chicken or KFC or even Popeyes. :)

nexus73

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 27, 2019, 06:36:36 PM
I love eating chicken with fries. My favorite! Either Jersey Chicken or KFC or even Popeyes. :)

Just wait until you dine at a Raising Cane's.  Succulent chicken tenders are their specialty and yes, they do have fries!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

tolbs17

Quote from: nexus73 on July 28, 2019, 09:59:28 AM

Just wait until you dine at a Raising Cane's.  Succulent chicken tenders are their specialty and yes, they do have fries!

Rick

I have to look that up and see where it is. And I will give it a shot if it's near me!

nexus73

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 28, 2019, 10:41:17 AM

Rick

I have to look that up and see where it is. And I will give it a shot if it's near me!

Here ya' go: 501 E 10th St, Greenville, NC 27858

Rick

tolbs17

Quote from: nexus73 on July 28, 2019, 02:21:53 PM
Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 28, 2019, 10:41:17 AM

Rick

Here ya' go: 501 E 10th St, Greenville, NC 27858

Rick

Going to try it out when I return to Greenville!

english si

Black pudding: if it's in the breakfast buffet, I'm eating it. Likewise if 'trio of puddings' (black, white and haggis) is on the menu as a starter in Scotland, that probably gets my order.

Crocodile: not that enjoyable - a bit like fishy chicken and my steak was quite far down the tail, so had little meat and quite a lot of cartilage

Durian: I think if I didn't get surprised by the taste, I'd have enjoyed it enough to have a second piece rather than spit out the first - but it struck me that the group of Westerners living in SE Asia that I was with were only eating it to show off to each other, even if they actually liked it.

lorries (the autocorrect still has the British words that are US abusive terms for homosexuals the wrong way around. I mean the offal balls that rhyme with baggots, not the smoking sticks that rhymes with bags): have this whenever I'm in the right part of the world - delicious.

Frogs legs: never seen on a menu in France, but ate in Indonesia - a bit like chicken wings (though with the similar slightly fishy taste that crocodile has) but with less meat - fine but fiddly and nothing special

Intestines: had this (presumably beef, but might have been veal, sheep or horse) in a family theme park in France as their specialty lunch - I enjoyed it enough to eat my brother's that he baulked at, despite knowing it was 'offal' (despite phrase books coming out they weren't specific - it really was mystery meat!) when he ordered it rather than his normal slice of plastic ham and some fries (standard French children's menu).

Locusts: didn't like the way they disintegrated in your mouth that much, but the flavor was fine (a bit like Twiglets).

Marmite and Marmalade sandwiches: a taste explosion, and something I can't seem to convince others on (I tend to get funny looks if I make it in front of others). 'MarMars' has umami, salty, sour, sweet and bitter - the whole caboodle.

Snails: another 'French delicacy' that I've never seen on the menu in France, ate in Catalonia - they needed the chilli they were served covered in (I brushed it off one and ate just the snail without it) and so it is unsurprising that the French cover them in garlic butter!

kphoger

Quote from: english si on July 30, 2019, 06:02:26 AM
Frogs legs: never seen on a menu in France, but ate in Indonesia - a bit like chicken wings (though with the similar slightly fishy taste that crocodile has) but with less meat - fine but fiddly and nothing special

Yeah, I never saw the appeal in spending money on something that's half bone and tastes like chicken.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

davmillar

I like lengua tacos, because it's the only way I can get someone to slip me the tongue.  :-P
Try out my puzzle game Interst8 at https://interst8.us

noelbotevera

Oh, boy oh boy am I going to enjoy this thread.

It's ironic, because I was pretty picky when I was younger, but nowadays I eat practically anything. Though I still can't quite take too much fat (it's fine if it's mixed with meat or used as an ingredient, but I can't eat fat by itself) or cartilage. Still haven't tried bone marrow too.

If you truly want something interesting to eat, look towards Asian cuisine. One of my favorite dishes is a Philippine dish called sisig, where the head of the pig is roasted and eaten with a sauce and some vegetables. I do mean the entire head - you can eat the eyes, nose, brain, etc. It's delicious.

And pro tip to eating unfamiliar/uncomfortable dishes: eat it with a lot of rice, or don't ask/look at what comprises it. You can concentrate more on the taste than your thoughts that way.

kphoger

Quote from: davmillar on July 30, 2019, 02:43:20 PM
I like lengua tacos, because it's the only way I can get someone to slip me the tongue.  :-P

Beef tongue is also a great tostada topping.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

sparker

Quote from: english si on July 30, 2019, 06:02:26 AM
Crocodile: not that enjoyable - a bit like fishy chicken and my steak was quite far down the tail, so had little meat and quite a lot of cartilage

Snails: another 'French delicacy' that I've never seen on the menu in France, ate in Catalonia - they needed the chilli they were served covered in (I brushed it off one and ate just the snail without it) and so it is unsurprising that the French cover them in garlic butter!

Had some unusual experiences with variants of both of these.  Many years ago, on a road trip with my parents to Disney World in FL, my mother pulled something of a practical joke on me -- when we stopped for gas (near Crystal Springs on US 19; we were side-tripping through St. Petersburg), she went in to the small market/food stand attached to the gas station and returned with "nuggets".  I wasn't particularly hungry anyway, but she set them down next to me to snack on during the next leg (I was doing all the driving).  After a couple of minutes, I decided "what the hell" and grabbed a piece or two and popped them in my mouth.  The above description of "fishy chicken" was accurate, along with a decidedly rubbery texture.  My reaction was essentially "WTF is this?" -- my mom was trying not to laugh, but admitted it was actually alligator!  I think I got down the first piece, but put the remaining pieces back in the bag and politely declined to continue down that path.

When I was living in Portland in the early '90's, I was dating a lady who had a seemingly inexhaustible enthusiasm for escargot (and liked me paying for that as well!); she insisted I try the stuff.  Not a lot of flavor save the garlic butter cited above, but again a very rubbery texture that bordered on the positively slimy!  Fortunately, had extra napkins in which to relocate said snail -- but was met with several derisive comments from my companion (the relationship ended quite badly a few months later!).  Needless to say, escargot hasn't been anywhere near my menu since!

cjk374

Quote from: english si link=topic=25280.msg2433423#msg2433423

Intestines: had this (presumably beef, but might have been veal, sheep or horse) in a family theme park in France as their specialty lunch - I enjoyed it enough to eat my brother's that he baulked at, despite knowing it was 'offal' (despite phrase books coming out they weren't specific - it really was mystery meat!) when he ordered it rather than his normal slice of plastic ham and some fries (standard French children's menu).

Down here in the south we call this "chitlins" (proper spelling: chitterlings). These are usually prepared boiled. There are 2 kinds of chitlins: hand-flung and stump-whooped.

If corn is found in your chitlins, it is perfectly ok to declare OH SHIT!! and throw them away.  :bigass:  :-D
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

AlexandriaVA

I still can't get myself to eat cold tripe - a fairly common staple of Chinese cuisine.

davmillar

That reminds me, I've also had and enjoyed 'tripas' tacos, which are intestines. Tripas and lengua are no big deal to me, but I can't stomach the texture of chicharron tacos; the slimy skin is bizarre and most places don't flavor it well enough. There are probably other weird ones I haven't recalled yet; I blog at http://allthetacos.com and am trying to do one of every taco in Fort Worth.

I'm also a fan and supporter of the company Chirps which makes cricket-based chips, cookie mixes, and protein powder.

Quote from: sparker on July 14, 2019, 02:16:34 AM
I passed a place advertising ice cream tacos.

A local "farm-to-cone" ice cream shop called Melt does this on Taco Tuesdays. It's a waffle shell, ice cream, chocolate syrup, and whipped cream. Tasty but hard to eat.
Try out my puzzle game Interst8 at https://interst8.us

kphoger

Chicharrones from a bag, drizzled with hot sauce.  A yummy, typical Mexican snack food.
Male pronouns, please.

TheHighwayMan3561

I've had peanut butter burgers a couple times. I don't remember if there was jelly on any of them, but it was better than I thought it would be.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.