News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Bonjour ! *

Started by Dr Frankenstein, October 25, 2010, 09:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Frankenstein

* Hello!

I'm sort of a roadgeek from around Montréal. (more exactly near the multiplex between Routes 132 and 138. ;) )

I got pulled into that world when I started reading about the A-30 expansion project. Tried making some "fantasy-but-not-for-so-long" signs for the new exits, then I started reading the US MUTCD after a trip on the Interstates to Boston at the beginning of the year.

I got especially fascinated by the strategies Québec uses to make signs that, in best scenarios, are language-agnostic; usually using symbols... though I must admit that doesn't always end up with very clear results...

I... don't know what else to add yet, except that I'm very happy to be here. :)

OH! Yes. I wonder how many Quebecers we are here. :p

Good evening.

Alps

I've wanted to organize a road meetup in Montreal to look at A-30, Turcot, Decarie, A-25, and other construction projects going on now or over the next 1-2 years.  Maybe you could help me plan that out!!

Dr Frankenstein

Oh definitely! I live almost next to the future A-30 and that's how I got interested.

One section is due for December (the one through St-Constant), and the section where I live is due for Dec. 2012.

Turcot... looks more like ruins than anything, to be honest.

The A-25 bridge is, I believe, under construction, but I don't go around there often at all. Never had to drive there.

(and great site you've got BTW, I've been reading through it for the past 6 months. :) )

Ian

Welcome! I really do like Quebec, especially their road network and unique signage. I hope to go back up there very soon.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Dr Frankenstein

BigMattFromTexas

Howdy, from West-Central Texas.

I like cake! What about you? Pie's good too but not as good as cake. I also have a slight obsession with tacos.. But I haven't brought that up since the *tear* chat room  :-( *more tears* was here.. But anyways, it's good to have another Canadian!
Just wondrin' do you like hockey?
BigMatt

rickmastfan67

Welcome to the forums Dr Frankenstein!

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on October 25, 2010, 10:50:50 PM
Oh definitely! I live almost next to the future A-30 and that's how I got interested.

One section is due for December (the one through St-Constant), and the section where I live is due for Dec. 2012.

About A-30, could you post the info about what will be opening over @ the CHM site?  I saw that you registered over there and I bet Tim (admin @ the CHM forums) would be appreciate if you could give him a heads up on that. ;)

Scott5114

I split all the stuff about language choices in Quebec off to a new thread in the Canada board so that more people will be able to see and weigh in on the discussion. It's not often that an intriguing topic like this one shows up in the Welcome board! :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Dr Frankenstein

Hi josef.

There is some new construction in Québec, but many construction sites are also just maintenance. One could argue that many years ago the roads suffered a generalized lack of maintenance and that Quebec's roads were in a notoriously bad shape. Now the omnipresent potholes have been replaced by omnipresent construction sites. We'll see how it works out.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.