News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-35 NB lanes open in Waco

Started by longhorn, August 10, 2022, 09:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longhorn

YES, YES, YES!!! At last I-35 NB lanes open through Waco. Congrats to the construction company who completed the project ahead of schedule. Enjoy the bonuses, well deserved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmdZf0S0M6I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akTm9iM8Trk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQIHEf375XE

kernals12

I drove past this in May on my journey from Dallas to Austin. It's good to see they finished it.

longhorn

Outside of the Hillsboro split, I-35 reconstruction is almost done. Amazing how fast it was accomplished.

Bobby5280

Are there plans to make I-35 in a 4x4 lanes configuration all the way through Waco? This 4x4 widening project just seems to run from just North of Exit 334 in the middle of Waco up to the interchange with Loop 340. The rest of I-35 in the Southern half of Waco has been 3x3 for around 20 or so years.

MaxConcrete

Quote from: Bobby5280 on August 10, 2022, 12:25:08 PM
Are there plans to make I-35 in a 4x4 lanes configuration all the way through Waco? This 4x4 widening project just seems to run from just North of Exit 334 in the middle of Waco up to the interchange with Loop 340. The rest of I-35 in the Southern half of Waco has been 3x3 for around 20 or so years.

The 2023 UTP has a $263 million project (currently 50% funded) to widen I-35 between South Loop 340 and 12th Street. See page 134.

I've driven I-35 between Austin and DFW on the weekend a few times in the last 2-3 years. Of course Waco was a major delay. But even on the sections outside cities, the freeway was nearly at capacity and barely able to maintain posted speed limits. So I think TxDOT needs to start planning for continuous 4x4 between Austin and Hillsboro.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

ski-man

Quote from: longhorn on August 10, 2022, 11:23:21 AM
Outside of the Hillsboro split, I-35 reconstruction is almost done. Amazing how fast it was accomplished.
Fast?? Are you talking just about this Waco section? For the whole project, didn't it start in the early 90's in the San Marcos area from what I remember.

In_Correct

I spotted the Video Thumbnails: What is with the stupid Cable Stays ?! These bridges are not even very long. Perhaps they put the Cable Stays for Decorations. It makes sense if they like to destroy "The New Dallas Highway" in the process. An embarrassment, not unlike what they are going to be doing for Valley View.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

longhorn

Quote from: Bobby5280 on August 10, 2022, 12:25:08 PM

Are you referring to the AUS-SAT part of I-35? Yes, its been 3x3 since the late 90s

The reconstructed Waco part should be 4x4.

The Hillsboro to Salado I-35 section of bridges are built for 4x4 configuration, so going from 3x3 to 4x4 should be easy.

longhorn

Quote from: ski-man on August 10, 2022, 04:00:00 PM
Quote from: longhorn on August 10, 2022, 11:23:21 AM
Fast?? Are you talking just about this Waco section? For the whole project, didn't it start in the early 90's in the San Marcos area from what I remember.

Referring to the Salado to Hillsboro reconstruction of I-35. Considering the miles involved that section of I-35 was reconstructed relatively fast for a construction project.

longhorn

Went through Waco yesterday both ways and the completed construction is G L O R I O U S !!! No more bottle necks and the four lanes in each direction is nice. It is truly amazing how I-35 has been transformed in a decade. Its amazing the old four lane road worked at all with the amount of truck traffic that is on it.

Next project is the rebuilding of I-35 from Temple to the Belton I-14 interchange. Expanding from 3 to 4 lanes each direction

kernals12

Seems like they could've saved some money and just reduced the number of interchanges within Waco.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.