News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

orulz

Quote from: LM117 on April 15, 2019, 05:12:49 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on April 14, 2019, 10:00:12 PM
http://www.dailyadvance.com/News/2019/04/10/Chowan-trucker-dies-after-collision-on-US-17.html

Happened last week, but still...

A women stopped in the middle of US-17 (a four-lane divided 55 MPH highway) north of Edenton to let a turtle cross, and a trucker, who didn't have enough time to stop, crashed into the back of the women's vehicle, resulting in him veering into the ditch, totaling the truck, and causing him to eventually pass away at the hospital later on.

Who's in the wrong? The women stopped in the middle of a high-speed highway, or the trucker, who didn't have enough time to fully stop after realizing she's not moving at all?

IMHO, the women should be charged with involuntary manslaughter. You don't stop in the middle of a highway. It's common sense. The turtle was apparently more important than the person she killed. And interestingly enough, the turtle didn't even survive. Shameful.

Pure stupidity on her part. :banghead: No turtle is worth risking people's lives.

As for who's legally at fault...unless things have changed since I last lived in NC, it would be the truck driver. According to state law, hitting somebody in the ass automatically puts you at fault, no matter the circumstances. That's probably why the cops are "re-examining the charges."  If that truck driver had survived, he would be the one getting charged for her stupidity. Either way, dead or alive, he was screwed.
What if the turtle were a large object that fell from a vehicle in front? What if it were a person? I agree stopping for the turtle was not the right thing to do but it is possible the deceased truck driver was not blameless either. Really we don't yet know all the details so any judgement on our parts is premature.

These days, absolutely nobody leaves enough space in front of them when driving. 2 seconds is the absolute minimum in perfect conditions with perfect reaction time and with immediate full application of brakes, either with antilock or perfectly modulated to avoid loss of control, and with everybody's vehicle capable of stopping fast enough (good tires, good brake pads, no heavy loads, no trailers, etc.)

One thing they really drill into you when getting your CDL is safe following distance. Hint: it's MUCH longer for trucks. Sometimes drivers cut in front of truckers who are doing the right thing, merging into their space, which does suck but is not a reason for truck drivers to follow too closely.

When I was 17, I stopped fairly hard for a yellow light because a police car was at the cross street at the intersection. I then got rear ended by a truck that was following too closely. He got a ticket but I got whiplash. That day I learned to check my rearview before stopping hard if I have any choice about it at all.

LM117

Quote from: orulz on April 15, 2019, 10:05:55 PM
Quote from: LM117 on April 15, 2019, 05:12:49 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on April 14, 2019, 10:00:12 PM
http://www.dailyadvance.com/News/2019/04/10/Chowan-trucker-dies-after-collision-on-US-17.html

Happened last week, but still...

A women stopped in the middle of US-17 (a four-lane divided 55 MPH highway) north of Edenton to let a turtle cross, and a trucker, who didn't have enough time to stop, crashed into the back of the women's vehicle, resulting in him veering into the ditch, totaling the truck, and causing him to eventually pass away at the hospital later on.

Who's in the wrong? The women stopped in the middle of a high-speed highway, or the trucker, who didn't have enough time to fully stop after realizing she's not moving at all?

IMHO, the women should be charged with involuntary manslaughter. You don't stop in the middle of a highway. It's common sense. The turtle was apparently more important than the person she killed. And interestingly enough, the turtle didn't even survive. Shameful.

Pure stupidity on her part. :banghead: No turtle is worth risking people's lives.

As for who's legally at fault...unless things have changed since I last lived in NC, it would be the truck driver. According to state law, hitting somebody in the ass automatically puts you at fault, no matter the circumstances. That's probably why the cops are "re-examining the charges."  If that truck driver had survived, he would be the one getting charged for her stupidity. Either way, dead or alive, he was screwed.

What if the turtle were a large object that fell from a vehicle in front? What if it were a person? I agree stopping for the turtle was not the right thing to do but it is possible the deceased truck driver was not blameless either. Really we don't yet know all the details so any judgement on our parts is premature.

These days, absolutely nobody leaves enough space in front of them when driving. 2 seconds is the absolute minimum in perfect conditions with perfect reaction time and with immediate full application of brakes, either with antilock or perfectly modulated to avoid loss of control, and with everybody's vehicle capable of stopping fast enough (good tires, good brake pads, no heavy loads, no trailers, etc.)

One thing they really drill into you when getting your CDL is safe following distance. Hint: it's MUCH longer for trucks. Sometimes drivers cut in front of truckers who are doing the right thing, merging into their space, which does suck but is not a reason for truck drivers to follow too closely.

When I was 17, I stopped fairly hard for a yellow light because a police car was at the cross street at the intersection. I then got rear ended by a truck that was following too closely. He got a ticket but I got whiplash. That day I learned to check my rearview before stopping hard if I have any choice about it at all.

If it were a large object or a person, then yes, I could understand stopping. I get what your saying and you may be right that the truck driver was following too closely and if he was, then that was a dumb move on his part, but my beef is the fact that the woman put lives at risk over a turtle that still ended up dead.

I guess it's all moot anyway since the truck driver is automatically at fault by law, regardless of whether or not he was following too closely. I would be shocked if the cops don't drop the charges against the woman.

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-04-16-speed-limit-reduced-burke-i-40.aspx

QuoteASHEVILLE – The N.C. Department of Transportation and State Highway Patrol have agreed to a speed limit reduction for a five-mile section of Interstate 40 in Burke County that includes two active work zones.

A new speed limit of 55 mph for eastbound and westbound traffic will be enforced starting Tuesday between mile markers 111 and 116 to increase safety for drivers and road workers in the area. The speed limit in the area was 65 mph in areas outside the work zones.

This section of I-40 includes the active work zones to build new bridges over Mineral Springs Mountain Road and Berea Church Road. The new regulation will last until construction is complete on both projects.

"The reduction of the speed limit from 65 to 55 mph, and increased enforcement from the State Highway Patrol is intended to raise awareness of those traveling through the work zone,"  Division 13 Assistant Construction Engineer Nathan Moneyham said. "It is critical for drivers to slow down and be alert, especially when there are construction delays and backups."

The speed reduction from 65 mph to 55 mph only adds 48 more seconds to this five-mile drive.

The two projects replace four bridges on this section of I-40 for a total combined cost of $20.9 million.

The project near Icard replaces the two bridges – one eastbound and the other westbound – over Berea Church Road. This $8.5 million project is scheduled to be complete in March of 2020. The project on I-40 over Mineral Springs Mountain Road, began in July of 2018 and should be completed by June of 2021 at a cost of $12.4 million.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/EKxk7YiUeWGQwHSK8
Still no I-87 in the field.  I guess NCDOT is on their own timeline.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sprjus4

Quote from: roadman65 on April 16, 2019, 10:35:37 PM
It's planned to get completed by July 2019. I'm driving through there today, and will be taking US 64 up to I-95 North. I'll post any updates if anything has changed.

Roadsguy

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 17, 2019, 11:11:38 AM
It's planned to get completed by July 2019. I'm driving through there today, and will be taking US 64 up to I-95 North. I'll post any updates if anything has changed.

Are they in the middle of a project to replace I-495 with I-87 on the major signs, or are you referring to something else?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Takumi

There are a handful of I-87 shields east of 540, but none past Wendell or so.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

The Ghostbuster

Shouldn't the comments on Interstate 87 be on the Interstate 87 (NC-VA) thread instead of this one, which is about North Carolina in general?

wdcrft63

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 17, 2019, 01:10:00 PM
Shouldn't the comments on Interstate 87 be on the Interstate 87 (NC-VA) thread instead of this one, which is about North Carolina in general?
Yes.

sprjus4

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 17, 2019, 11:25:33 AM

Are they in the middle of a project to replace I-495 with I-87 on the major signs, or are you referring to something else?
Apart of the I-40 widening south of the I-87 / I-40 junction, the contractors are responsible for replacing all the of the I-495 shields & overhead signs with I-87. Hopefully, by July or so, I-495 signs will be fully removed, and I-87 will be correctly posted.

Drove by there today, it's still signed I-495 on all of the overheads as it has been.

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-04-18-new-hanover-county-market-street-lane-closures.aspx

QuoteWILMINGTON- The N.C. Department of Transportation is improving a New Hanover County road and has planned lane closures for the construction.

Intermittent lanes closures will occur on Market Street tonight through mid-November of 2022. Lane closures will be restricted to 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., seven days a week, to minimize traffic delays.

During the closures, NCDOT will widen the road to install medians, concrete islands and turn lanes from​​​​​ Lendire Road to Mendenhall Road.

Drivers are urged to stay alert, obey the posted speed limit in the work zone and allow for extra travel time, but if possible, seek alternate routes.

LM117

A contract has been awarded for preservation work on the US-64 bridges over Jordan Lake. Work can begin April 29 and will finish by September 1, 2020.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-04-18-jordan-lake-bridge-preservation.aspx

LM117

NCDOT is holding two public meetings (April 29 in Wilmington, April 30 in Leland) to discuss the proposed Cape Fear Crossing.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-04-22-cape-fear-crossing-hearing-open-house.aspx

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-04-23-pitt-county-bell-arthur-closure.aspx

QuoteGREENVILLE — The N.C. Department of Transportation continues work on a bypass in Pitt County, which is expected to relieve congestion and improve safety in the area. Starting late this month, crews will close a road as pa​rt of that future freeway project.

Bell Arthur Road in Greenville will be closed from 7 a.m., April 29, through November. During the closure, the contractor will replace a box culvert.

While Bell Arthur Road is closed, traffic will be detoured onto U.S. 13/264A and Nash Joyner Road.

This construction is part of the Southwest Bypass, which will be a four-lane, 12.6-mile freeway between two miles south of Ayden on N.C. 11, wrapping around the west side of Ayden and Winterville and ending at the U.S. 264 Bypass, west of Greenville. The new highway should open in 2020.

Drivers should anticipate needing extra time through November and should use caution when approaching the work zone.

RoadPelican

Can someone please tell me when the US 264 NW Bypass opened by Greenville?

sprjus4

Quote from: RoadPelican on April 23, 2019, 06:34:05 PM
Sometime between 1993 - 1995. The 1993-1994 official does not show it, though it is listed as open on the 1995 official.

RoadPelican

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 23, 2019, 07:43:59 PM
Quote from: RoadPelican on April 23, 2019, 06:34:05 PM
Sometime between 1993 - 1995. The 1993-1994 official does not show it, though it is listed as open on the 1995 official.

Thanks!

roadman65

Is there plans to connect I-140 to the future I-74 to connect the future interstate with Wilmington?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-04-24-pitt-county-tenth-street-connector-closure.aspx

QuoteGREENVILLE- The N.C. Department of Transportation will perform a "˜marathon weekend' of construction, working around the clock for one weekend, as part of the 10th Street Connector project.

After the evening rush hour, at 7 p.m. on April 26, NCDOT will close the intersection of Memorial Drive and Stantonsburg Road. Crews will reopen the Greenville intersection by 5 a.m. April 29. These dates are weather permitting.

The NCDOT will raise the elevation of the intersection by wedging the intersection with asphalt, preparing it for the final layer of asphalt. Closing the intersection is needed because of the amount of asphalt that has to be placed and for the safety of the workers, as well as the public.

Traffic will be detoured onto Arlington Boulevard, Dickinson Avenue and N.C. 43/ 5th Street. The streets between Arlington Boulevard and 14th Street should allow access for all businesses and residents to be maintained.

This work is part of the 10th Street Connector project. Once the project is completed, it will transform the Greenville road into a four-lane divided road with a landscaped median that directly links Memorial Drive to 10th Street at Evans Street.

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 08, 2019, 06:16:13 PM
Here's news about another OBX bridge project. The Federal Record of Decision has arrived for the Mid-Currituck Bridge.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-02-08-mid-currituck-bridge-record-of-decision.aspx

This allows ROW acquisition and final design to begin. It's a toll project, so the Turnpike Authority will be pushing it along.

The SELC has filed a lawsuit.

https://www.wavy.com/news/north-carolina/obx/groups-file-lawsuit-over-approval-of-north-carolina-bridge/1949293824

wdcrft63

Quote from: roadman65 on April 23, 2019, 10:08:57 PM
Is there plans to connect I-140 to the future I-74 to connect the future interstate with Wilmington?
Not yet, but stay tuned. This is an idea that seems inevitable.

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on April 24, 2019, 03:00:21 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 08, 2019, 06:16:13 PM
Here's news about another OBX bridge project. The Federal Record of Decision has arrived for the Mid-Currituck Bridge.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-02-08-mid-currituck-bridge-record-of-decision.aspx

This allows ROW acquisition and final design to begin. It's a toll project, so the Turnpike Authority will be pushing it along.

The SELC has filed a lawsuit.

https://www.wavy.com/news/north-carolina/obx/groups-file-lawsuit-over-approval-of-north-carolina-bridge/1949293824
For god's sake, they will never give up. These environmental activist groups are nothing but a joke that is purposely to delay and get in the way of needed projects. They have really no other agenda but to obstruct and block any type of highway project.

They will loose. This will hopefully eventually get built. We saw how well they did with NC-540. They're still trying with I-73 in North Carolina even though permits have been issued, they just need funding and construction could start tomorrow.

Roadsguy

How serious has NC been about I-74 past Rockingham? The push to take it to Myrtle Beach was from SC, right?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 24, 2019, 08:17:32 PM
How serious has NC been about I-74 past Rockingham? The push to take it to Myrtle Beach was from SC, right?

NC is definitely going to get I-74 finished to east of Whiteville.  After that it is less certain...most people think it would make more sense to get the law changed to have I-74 go to Wilmington instead of looping back southwest to Myrtle Beach from Bolton.

SC is trying to get I-73 from Rockingham to Myrtle Beach

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.