News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 24, 2019, 06:15:50 PM
Quote from: LM117 on April 24, 2019, 03:00:21 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 08, 2019, 06:16:13 PM
Here's news about another OBX bridge project. The Federal Record of Decision has arrived for the Mid-Currituck Bridge.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-02-08-mid-currituck-bridge-record-of-decision.aspx
This allows ROW acquisition and final design to begin. It's a toll project, so the Turnpike Authority will be pushing it along.
The SELC has filed a lawsuit.
https://www.wavy.com/news/north-carolina/obx/groups-file-lawsuit-over-approval-of-north-carolina-bridge/1949293824
For god's sake, they will never give up. These environmental activist groups are nothing but a joke that is purposely to delay and get in the way of needed projects. They have really no other agenda but to obstruct and block any type of highway project.

Yeah, but the RE/T groups are worried about the global warming and the "rising seas".

Seems like every time you see a newspaper nowadays they have another article about the "rising seas". 

You would think by now that the OBX would be completely under water.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on April 24, 2019, 08:32:34 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on April 24, 2019, 06:15:50 PM
Quote from: LM117 on April 24, 2019, 03:00:21 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 08, 2019, 06:16:13 PM
Here's news about another OBX bridge project. The Federal Record of Decision has arrived for the Mid-Currituck Bridge.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-02-08-mid-currituck-bridge-record-of-decision.aspx
This allows ROW acquisition and final design to begin. It's a toll project, so the Turnpike Authority will be pushing it along.
The SELC has filed a lawsuit.
https://www.wavy.com/news/north-carolina/obx/groups-file-lawsuit-over-approval-of-north-carolina-bridge/1949293824
For god's sake, they will never give up. These environmental activist groups are nothing but a joke that is purposely to delay and get in the way of needed projects. They have really no other agenda but to obstruct and block any type of highway project.

Yeah, but the RE/T groups are worried about the global warming and the "rising seas".

Seems like every time you see a newspaper nowadays they have another article about the "rising seas". 

You would think by now that the OBX would be completely under water.
It's all bogus, that's simply it. Climate change certainly is occurring to some extent and rising seas may be happening extremely slowly, but the way it's taken nowadays is way to excessive IMHO. Just a political and environmental push it seems, though I'm not going to get into politics on here.

It's likely this will just die out in the courts, and construction will continue forward and begin in 2021 as planned. The feds have already approved the project for construction, there's not much stopping it except for this last attempt from SELC.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 24, 2019, 08:40:02 PM
It's all bogus, that's simply it. Climate change certainly is occurring to some extent and rising seas may be happening extremely slowly, but the way it's taken nowadays is way to excessive IMHO. Just a political and environmental push it seems, though I'm not going to get into politics on here.
It's likely this will just die out in the courts, and construction will continue forward and begin in 2021 as planned. The feds have already approved the project for construction, there's not much stopping it except for this last attempt from SELC.

Actually the first attempt.  The RE/T groups need to wait until a federal approval of the project (FEIS and ROD) takes place before there is an issue that can be challenged in the federal courts.  And then the only thing they can challenge is whether the correct process was followed step by step, that an exhaustive evaluation of all environmental impacts was conducted.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on April 24, 2019, 08:53:07 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on April 24, 2019, 08:40:02 PM

Actually the first attempt.  The RE/T groups need to wait until a federal approval of the project (FEIS and ROD) takes place before there is an issue that can be challenged in the federal courts.  And then the only thing they can challenge is whether the correct process was followed step by step, that an exhaustive evaluation of all environmental impacts was conducted.
The FEIS was published on January 12, 2012, and was recently reevaluated. Both the reevaluated FEIS, and the ROD were published March 6, 2019.

Now that the project is able to begin construction once final funding is secured, and is schedule to occur in 2021, the SELC is trying to kill the project right before it starts. It's their "first" shot at NCDOT, but a final attempt to kill it even after it's already been through extensive study and is permitted for construction. That's what I was getting at with "last attempt".

They tried the same thing after I-73 in South Carolina was permitted for construction, but failed. The only thing stopping that project now is the lack of funding. But once SCDOT or the localities (they're planning on pitching in some funding) comes up with the money, or if a toll road is instead pursued, construction is allowed to begin.

wanderer2575

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 17, 2019, 09:24:44 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on April 17, 2019, 11:25:33 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on April 17, 2019, 11:11:38 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 16, 2019, 10:35:37 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/EKxk7YiUeWGQwHSK8
Still no I-87 in the field.  I guess NCDOT is on their own timeline.
It's planned to get completed by July 2019. I'm driving through there today, and will be taking US 64 up to I-95 North. I'll post any updates if anything has changed.

Are they in the middle of a project to replace I-495 with I-87 on the major signs, or are you referring to something else?
Apart of the I-40 widening south of the I-87 / I-40 junction, the contractors are responsible for replacing all the of the I-495 shields & overhead signs with I-87. Hopefully, by July or so, I-495 signs will be fully removed, and I-87 will be correctly posted.

Drove by there today, it's still signed I-495 on all of the overheads as it has been.

On the other hand, this Michigander was on a roadtrip through North Carolina just last week, drove a stretch of US-264 east of Raleigh, and saw one or two of these displays.  Interesting that NC was so eager to post I-87 that they installed a separate signpost for it rather than waiting until they were ready to replace all the I-495 shields:

Maybe it's some kind of insecurity complex.  To steer this back to a more general NC topic, the state is also anxious to be sure we are aware of what's coming, such as:

sprjus4

Quote from: wanderer2575 on April 24, 2019, 09:19:38 PM
On the other hand, this Michigander was on a roadtrip through North Carolina just last week, drove a stretch of US-264 east of Raleigh, and saw one or two of these displays.  Interesting that NC was so eager to post I-87 that they installed a separate signpost for it rather than waiting until they were ready to replace all the I-495 shields:

Maybe it's some kind of insecurity complex.  To steer this back to a more general NC topic, the state is also anxious to be sure we are aware of what's coming, such as:
My comment was more or less referring to the overhead signage that still displays "I-495". The shields you've posted were put up back in September 2017, and has been there since. They still have yet to fix the overhead signage, and replace the "I-495" signage on the three-shield sign with "I-87".

That 9-mile stretch is officially designated and recognized by FHWA as "I-87", not "I-495". FHWA and NCDOT decommissioned I-495 in the last year or so, and designated "I-87" in September 2017. That currently is the only stretch of freeway between Raleigh and I-95 that meets interstate standards. That 9-mile stretch was constructed in 2006, while the rest of the freeway to I-95 was built in phases throughout the late 70s, lacking full 10-foot right shoulders. It's still a highly-effective 70 MPH freeway link to I-95 north from Raleigh nonetheless. The only missing piece is a freeway all the way to coastal VA and northeastern NC, and that's the goal of the I-87 corridor in the long run.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

NE2

Oh look, spreltway are both on the wrong side of history. Fuck 'em.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

nerdom

Finally! They have found common ground. Hey beltway and sprjus. It snowed, in January. Climate change?  Yeah right. Why does it still snow then? Clearly it is a hoax, that 99% of scientist agree on and 100% dumb ass, fossil fuel lobby puppeted politicians, oh, and couple of road geeks disagree with. What a scam.  :popcorn:

The Ghostbuster

Do you have to be so rude?

Roadsguy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 25, 2019, 03:51:10 PM
Do you have to be so rude?

They think Wrong Things™, therefore anything goes.

(/s in case it wasn't obvious)
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

The Ghostbuster

I felt nerdom and NE2 were being disrespectful to sprjus4 and Beltway with their comments. There was no need for that.

sprjus4

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 25, 2019, 04:05:08 PM
I felt nerdom and NE2 were being disrespectful to sprjus4 and Beltway with their comments. There was no need for that.
You learn to just ignore it. It's not worth the time to deal with, they're not going to change their opinions / position, and likewise, I'm not going to change my opinion / position either.

An argument would go nowhere, so I'm not getting into it.

NE2

I felt nerdom and NE2 were being disrespectful to sprjus4 and Beltway with their comments.
No shit, fucko.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 25, 2019, 04:48:55 PM
You learn to just ignore it. It's not worth the time to deal with, they're not going to change their opinions / position, and likewise, I'm not going to change my opinion / position either.  An argument would go nowhere, so I'm not getting into it.

This is a job for Demonbusters.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

LM117

sprjus4

Google Earth was updated with new aerial imagery from March 12, 2019 along the US-17 corridor, showing progress on the Maysville / Pollocksville bypasses & the segment in between. Here's some of that imagery.

This is the northern tie of the Pollocksville Bypass to the existing US-17 Bypass. By this point, the existing bypass had been closed (which is still currently closed) to work on that tie in -

Simmons Loop Rd overpass -

10 Mile Fork Rd overpass -

Oak Grove Rd overpass -

Bridges over the Trent River -

Bridges over the Goshen Branch & Goshen Rd overpass -

Also by this point, 2 miles of the bypass opened between the southern terminus and the NC-58 interchange. Here's the US-17 Bypass / NC-58 interchange (note you can see where traffic is forced to exit at this point) -

Segment of the Pollocksville bypass that's currently open. Note that this short 2 mile segment has all four lanes open, whereas the at-grade widening segment south of here and the Maysville Bypasses only have one lane open. Until it's fully completed, this segment sort of acts like a "passing lane" area for traffic to safely pass slower vehicles.

Southern tie in of the Pollocksville bypass with the existing US-17 -

Segments of the four-lane at-grade widening. Note in the second picture a small part of the eastern roadway open solely for property access. Also note that only one lane in each direction is open as opposed to all four seen on the short segment of the Pollocksville Bypass -

Maysville Bypass northern tie in -

Maysville Bypass bridges over the White Oak River & wetlands south of White Oak River. Note that on this bypass, only one lane in each direction is open as opposed to all four seen on the short segment of the Pollocksville Bypass -

Maysville Bypass southern tie in -

Roadsguy

Google Maps still has the old imagery. I wonder how long it'll take to update there...
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

The Ghostbuster

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 28, 2019, 05:44:01 PM
Google Maps still has the old imagery. I wonder how long it'll take to update there...

2220. lol.

Henry

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 29, 2019, 11:38:05 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on April 28, 2019, 05:44:01 PM

2220. lol.
More like the 26th century! :bigass:
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cowboy_wilhelm

Asheville is still rockin' imagery from 2015 in Google.

LM117

Speaking of Google, I've noticed that some of the satellite images on the Google Maps app on my iPhone hasn't caught up to those seen on the desktop version.

For example, the satellite image of the US-117/O'Berry Road interchange in Dudley on the app still shows an old image of it as an intersection before the interchange conversion. Using the desktop version shows the completed interchange and also shows the current construction of an interchange further south at Country Club Road.

My Google Maps app is up to date. What gives?

roadman65

Is there a reason why the freeway part of Wade Avenue through Cary is not given an interstate designation being it now connects two interstates and was a long time ago the actual I-40 until the state extended it east to Wilmington?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sparker

Quote from: roadman65 on May 02, 2019, 11:51:04 PM
Is there a reason why the freeway part of Wade Avenue through Cary is not given an interstate designation being it now connects two interstates and was a long time ago the actual I-40 until the state extended it east to Wilmington?

A 2nd question about this:  was the former I-40/Wade Avenue constructed with chargeable Interstate funds?  :confused:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.