News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by Henry - Today at 09:59:20 PM
They ought to tear down the fucking bridge right now, and build a new one in its place; the remainder doesn't look safe to me, not even as a fishing pier.
Quote from: thenetwork on Today at 09:38:21 PMHoward Johnsons at every service plaza along the Ohio Turnpike...

...and just off of damn near every exit off the Turnpike as well (at least between Toledo and Youngstown)!!!

The NJ Turnpike was mostly HJs as well. The evidence they left behind includes street names leading to the rear of the plazas for employees and deliveries.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/9NCAJRLuUWkUfYW66
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Indiana Notes
Last post by ilpt4u - Today at 09:45:23 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on Today at 08:06:10 PMI believe the busiest freeways in Indiana are 80/94 from the state line to 65, 70 on the east side of indy from 65 to 465, and 465 from 70 to 69.
I assume that is NE side 70-69 465 stretch (I guess technically the SW 70-69 stretch doesn't quite involve 69 just yet...), but that is all fully believable.
General Highway Talk / Re: Road-Geeky Things Of The P...
Last post by thenetwork - Today at 09:38:21 PM
Howard Johnsons at every service plaza along the Ohio Turnpike...

...and just off of damn near every exit off the Turnpike as well (at least between Toledo and Youngstown)!!!
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Virginia
Last post by 74/171FAN - Today at 09:35:47 PM
Photos from April 21st along I-81 NB/VA 100 NB at VA 99/SR F047 (Exits 94A-B):  (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10220259468317379&set=a.10220259629721414)

So we go from Service Road to an Old Route 100 reference

Back to Service Road

May as well do the VA 99 NB Exit while I am at it.

General Highway Talk / Re: Roadgeek Memes
Last post by vdeane - Today at 09:29:11 PM
Southeast / Re: Interstate 42
Last post by ElishaGOtis - Today at 09:28:57 PM
I don't think I have enough hands for how many times Google Maps has done this :poke:

For a while the I-42 name showed on street view, but this is the first time I've seen the shield for it appear. Desktop  website version.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Virginia
Last post by Mapmikey - Today at 09:13:43 PM
Quote from: Joseph R P on Today at 04:34:21 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on April 22, 2024, 11:37:57 AMRandom observation: apparently VA 2's northern end in Fredericksburg was truncated to VA 3 Business at some point. The VDOT route overlap ArcGIS map no longer shows VA 2 continuing up Caroline and Princess Anne Sts to US 1...although US 1/US 17 Business still does. VA 2 has no reason to exist north of mainline US 17 in Spotsylvania County...

I think it's been like that for years, at least a decade or so. I could be wrong, though.

There was a VA 2 end shield at VA 3 Bus until about 2000 when signage was removed (US 1-17 postings removed then too). 
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by vdeane - Today at 09:09:22 PM
Quote from: vdeane on April 27, 2024, 05:14:03 PMIn a non-money related one, Vivaldi appears to have adopted Chrome's large-text menus rather than using the system menus with no option to change back.  Ugh.  Chrome's are ugly and too big.
To follow up, it appears that Google is forcing this change on all Chromium-based browsers.  Between this and the Chromium adblocker woes (which I had hoped to avoid with Vivaldi, but Vivaldi is no longer able to block ads on YouTube, and paying for YouTube Premium feels like rewarding Google for their bad behavior).

Because of all this, I'm very seriously considering switching to Firefox, but there are a couple problems: Firefox doesn't have a way to block JavaScript on a per-site basis (necessary for getting around some adblock detectors and news paywalls), and doesn't appear to be an equivalent of the reading list (especially not in any way that can be synced between desktop and mobile), a feature I have come to rely on not only for saving pages for later, keeping track of where I am for reading fanfic or online serials, but also in doing all this while switching between my computers and phone.  I can get around the JavaScript problem with extensions (probably, haven't looked into it, but I had with Vivaldi before the one I used stopped working, at which point Vivaldi had the feature so I never found a new one), but the lack of a reading list is a deal-breaker, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do about my YouTube problems for now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.