News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-240: OK 118?

Started by bugo, April 07, 2020, 08:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

This excerpt from the 1956 Oklahoma County Control Section Map published by the Oklahoma Department of Highways shows what became I-240 as a control section of a route called 118. The map seems to indicate that part of what is now I-240 was open east of where I-35 is now. Was this section of I-240 opened before the other sections that are shown as P&S? Was this road ever signed as an OK 118?

rte66man

That part of 240 sits on top of SE 74th Street but I don't recall that ever being a state highway.  Since this was hand-drawn, maybe it's a mistake.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Scott5114

I don't think it's a mistake–114 and 119 were both commissioned in 1957 (according to uncited information on Wikipedia), so the 118 number fits as being added as part of a block of designations from that time period.

I don't know that 118 was necessarily signed–if I remember correctly, only the part of I-240 west of I-35 was part of the original 1956 Interstate system, and the part east of I-35 was added later. That would explain why I-240 was P&S (it was actually funded). It could be that ODOT had planned to extend I-240 east, and 118 was a placeholder designation until that could be added in a later Interstate funding bill.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rte66man

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 08, 2020, 06:16:36 PM
I don't think it's a mistake–114 and 119 were both commissioned in 1957 (according to uncited information on Wikipedia), so the 118 number fits as being added as part of a block of designations from that time period.

I don't know that 118 was necessarily signed–if I remember correctly, only the part of I-240 west of I-35 was part of the original 1956 Interstate system, and the part east of I-35 was added later. That would explain why I-240 was P&S (it was actually funded). It could be that ODOT had planned to extend I-240 east, and 118 was a placeholder designation until that could be added in a later Interstate funding bill.

You are correct about the eastern part of I-240. IIRC, it was added in the late 60's.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.