News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-73 & I-74 in S.C.

Started by Grzrd, October 23, 2013, 09:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

Quote from: Strider on January 19, 2020, 01:59:11 AM
While they're fighting down here, I still think the Northern corridor should be built first. It would enable I-73 to be built from NC line to I-95, serving the small cities along the way. Oh well. Let's see if this one works out.

Since I-74 (and US 74 for that matter) is only 30-odd miles north of the projected northern I-73 corridor segment along SC 38 (at least at I-95), there is likely to be less perceived need to complete that segment.  The portion from I-95 southeast to Myrtle diverges from the US/I-74 path, so it presents a more direct as well as independent access facility to that recreational area than does the I-74 routing in NC (one of the things that have over the years caused many of us to wonder what the planners were smoking!).   The northern part will likely be built later simply to close the gap on a continuous route down from central NC and to avoid an annoying "zig-zag" over I-95 between the two corridor segments.  To Myrtle Beach interests, getting to I-95 is Job #1; expediting traffic northwest of there will come later. 

AcE_Wolf_287

I-74 in South Carolina is a little unnecessary, my opinion, because there would be no need for it if the have I-73 and they both are coming from the same city, Rockingham, High Point!

Roadsguy

Quote from: AcE_Wolf_287 on March 21, 2020, 04:37:06 PM
I-74 in South Carolina is a little unnecessary, my opinion, because there would be no need for it if the have I-73 and they both are coming from the same city, Rockingham, High Point!

Well the part of the road being built in SC is perfectly fine, it's just that having the I-74 designation head toward Wilmington and then turn through the middle of nowhere down to Myrtle Beach is extremely dumb.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

AcE_Wolf_287

Quote from: Roadsguy on March 21, 2020, 04:45:50 PM

Well the part of the road being built in SC is perfectly fine, it's just that having the I-74 designation head toward Wilmington and then turn through the middle of nowhere down to Myrtle Beach is extremely dumb.

I-20 should get extended to Wilmington, it could relieve traffic and Truckers from Memphis to Wilmington. as a native to south Carolina, i visit Myrtle beach 2 times a year and I see stuff for I-73 and i Believe it'll help out from people on the other side of the state to MB, but I-74 makes a Dead's man Curve for no reason.

Roadsguy

Quote from: AcE_Wolf_287 on March 21, 2020, 04:48:59 PM

I-20 should get extended to Wilmington, it could relieve traffic and Truckers from Memphis to Wilmington. as a native to south Carolina, i visit Myrtle beach 2 times a year and I see stuff for I-73 and i Believe it'll help out from people on the other side of the state to MB, but I-74 makes a Dead's man Curve for no reason.

NCDOT wanted to extend I-20, but SC wasn't having it. I-74 going to Wilmington is adequate anyway since I-95 to I-74 from Florence isn't all that out of the way. It's already the quickest way according to Google Maps, and cutting that off by extending I-20 likely wouldn't save enough time to be worthwhile.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

AcE_Wolf_287

Quote from: Roadsguy on March 21, 2020, 04:54:30 PM
Quote from: AcE_Wolf_287 on March 21, 2020, 04:48:59 PM

SCDOT probably either didn't want to waste money, or didn't wanna run a Highway through Florence which i respect

NCDOT wanted to extend I-20, but SC wasn't having it. I-74 going to Wilmington is adequate anyway since I-95 to I-74 from Florence isn't all that out of the way. It's already the quickest way according to Google Maps, and cutting that off by extending I-20 likely wouldn't save enough time to be worthwhile.

sprjus4

Here's my thoughts on the situation, though this is getting fictional...

I-20 - Any extension east of I-95 is unrealistic in today's environment. Two existing / planned interstate highway corridors (I-95 and I-74) already serve this movement adequately, and an extension would at best shave 5-10 minutes off the current trip at the cost of a few billion dollars, as if South Carolina isn't already struggling to fund the $2+ billion I-73 between the North Carolina border and Myrtle Beach. If no interstate highway corridor existed between I-20 and US-74, I could see more of a desire for this, however one already does (I-95) and the only improvements needed are widening along I-95.

I-73 - Should be completed as currently planned between Roanoke, VA and Myrtle Beach.

I-74 - Designation needs to be fully deleted from North Carolina. The segment of I-73 that I-74 overlaps between Asheboro and Rockingham becomes solely I-73, the segment between Asheboro and I-77 becomes I-x73 / I-x77 / I-4x. The segment along US-74 becomes apart of a new cross-state interstate (see below). The segment through the Green Swamp is not constructed.

US-74 Corridor - New interstate designation between I-26 southeast of Asheville and Downtown Wilmington along the US-74 via Charlotte and Rockingham. Likely an I-3x.

Carolina Bays Pkwy / US-17 Corridor - The road should be completed to Shallote as currently proposed, and further extended to I-140 at Wilmington built to full interstate standards. Tying into the existing Carolina Bays Pkwy to the south, the existing I-140 to the north, and also to the proposed Hampstead bypass on the northern end of I-140, this would complete around 100 miles of freeway along the US-17 corridor. This could either become an extension of I-140, or apart of a new interstate designation (i.e. I-99) in the future for the US-17 corridor between Myrtle Beach and I-87 (proposed Norfolk <-> Raleigh corridor) at Williamston.

AcE_Wolf_287

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 21, 2020, 05:45:12 PM
Here's my thoughts on the situation, though this is getting fictional...

I-20 - Any extension east of I-95 is unrealistic in today's environment. Two existing / planned interstate highway corridors (I-95 and I-74) already serve this movement adequately, and an extension would at best shave 5-10 minutes off the current trip at the cost of a few billion dollars, as if South Carolina isn't already struggling to fund the $2+ billion I-73 between the North Carolina border and Myrtle Beach. If no interstate highway corridor existed between I-20 and US-74, I could see more of a desire for this, however one already does (I-95) and the only improvements needed are widening along I-95.

I-73 - Should be completed as currently planned between Roanoke, VA and Myrtle Beach.

I-74 - Designation needs to be fully deleted from North Carolina. The segment of I-73 that I-74 overlaps between Asheboro and Rockingham becomes solely I-73, the segment between Asheboro and I-77 becomes I-x73 / I-x77 / I-4x. The segment along US-74 becomes apart of a new cross-state interstate (see below). The segment through the Green Swamp is not constructed.

US-74 Corridor - New interstate designation between I-26 southeast of Asheville and Downtown Wilmington along the US-74 via Charlotte and Rockingham. Likely an I-3x.

Carolina Bays Pkwy / US-17 Corridor - The road should be completed to Shallote as currently proposed, and further extended to I-140 at Wilmington built to full interstate standards. Tying into the existing Carolina Bays Pkwy to the south, the existing I-140 to the north, and also to the proposed Hampstead bypass on the northern end of I-140, this would complete around 100 miles of freeway along the US-17 corridor. This could either become an extension of I-140, or apart of a new interstate designation (i.e. I-99) in the future for the US-17 corridor between Myrtle Beach and I-87 (proposed Norfolk <-> Raleigh corridor) at Williamston.

thats what i thought, i knew SCDOT was struggling with Funds especially since living here, most roads look like shit, but SC should just have their main focus be I-73, then they can talke about anything else, and I-74 Should end at I-73 in Portsmouth, OH because I-74 is Completely Usless in NC, and the I-74 between Mt Airy and Winston Salem is a Extended I-285. I-640 would be the Winston-Salem Beltway, but NCDOT Loves Interstates so let them have it!

Strider

Thread resurrected. A update:

A court ruled against the environmental groups who sued to block the construction of I-73 due to permit arguments, so Horry County and the city of Myrtle Beach (and SCDOT) can proceed with securing the funding for I-73 (if they can manage to find money for it):

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/article253947153.html

chrisdiaz

Quote from: Strider on September 08, 2021, 04:28:01 PM

A court ruled against the environmental groups who sued to block the construction of I-73 due to permit arguments, so Horry County and the city of Myrtle Beach (and SCDOT) can proceed with securing the funding for I-73 (if they can manage to find money for it):

Finally!! It's about time that something gets done. Traffic here is horrendous with the amount of cars coming through rural/inland Horry County

Strider

Quote from: chrisdiaz on September 08, 2021, 08:55:08 PM

Finally!! It's about time that something gets done. Traffic here is horrendous with the amount of cars coming through rural/inland Horry County

That's the only reason why I have not been down there these years. They better get to get I-73 built fast.

RoadPelican

I was down in Myrtle Beach earlier this year in March and I couldn't believe the traffic coming into Myrtle Beach from Conway was backed up over a mile and this was on a Monday around 10 in the morning!!!!  They need to widen US 501 to 6 lanes and convert the traffic lights to interchanges between Conway and SC 31.

I'm not sure if I-73 is going to solve the US 501 traffic congestion because it's just going to follow the Conway Bypass (SC 22) for half of it's route and nobody uses SC 22 because it goes too far north from Central M.B. (except me and a few others)

abqtraveler

Quote from: Strider on September 09, 2021, 11:03:59 AM

That's the only reason why I have not been down there these years. They better get to get I-73 built fast.
Before the environmental groups appeal the judge's ruling to the Circuit Court of Appeals.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

chrisdiaz

Quote from: RoadPelican on September 09, 2021, 12:42:54 PM

I was down in Myrtle Beach earlier this year in March and I couldn't believe the traffic coming into Myrtle Beach from Conway was backed up over a mile and this was on a Monday around 10 in the morning!!!!  They need to widen US 501 to 6 lanes and convert the traffic lights to interchanges between Conway and SC 31.

I'm not sure if I-73 is going to solve the US 501 traffic congestion because it's just going to follow the Conway Bypass (SC 22) for half of it's route and nobody uses SC 22 because it goes too far north from Central M.B. (except me and a few others)
It took me 10 minutes to go a half mile on 501 this morning so I completely feel your pain. Eventually (hopefully) the SELL will be built and take traffic away from 544 and 501. I do agree with you on the lanes perspective. 501 needs to be made 6 lanes immediately, and SCDOT should seriously consider making it a Texas style expressway with frontage roads, especially in Carolina Forest.

sprjus4

Quote from: RoadPelican on September 09, 2021, 12:42:54 PM
I-73 will tie into SC-22 more directly than US-501 currently does, so there would be more incentive to simply stay on it until SC-31.

US 89

I have lost many hours of my life in Myrtle Beach sitting in the endless traffic that plagues US 17. Did not realize those issues also extended to 501.

sparker

Wow, that took a long time to resolve.  But hopefully what state funds were originally apportioned toward the project haven't all been redirected elsewhere, so the initial processes can begin.  And it looks like Lindsey Graham's actually good for something after all (yeah, this from a nominally liberal CA guy!), although I have my doubts about what $12M will buy in ROW parcels (not much out here except in the non-Palm-Springs desert!).  Obviously, job #1 is the section from I-95 to MB; wonder if the northern section to the state line will be somehow expedited; it's been 26 years since the I-73 corridor inception; let's hope full SC completion doesn't take another 26! 

Strider

Quote from: abqtraveler on September 09, 2021, 03:05:02 PM

Before the environmental groups appeal the judge's ruling to the Circuit Court of Appeals.

I won't be surprised if they decide to appeal to try to force settlement... however, they're going to lose again. They have been losing these days.

sparker

Quote from: Strider on September 09, 2021, 10:40:21 PM
Quote from: abqtraveler on September 09, 2021, 03:05:02 PM

I won't be surprised if they decide to appeal to try to force settlement... however, they're going to lose again. They have been losing these days.

The attorneys for the South Carolina Coastal Environmental League, who brought the suit in the first place, are stating that they accept the court decision -- but broadly hinted that their clients would likely try to exert political pressure to ensure I-73 state funding remains on the back burner.  It's equally likely such an effort will fall short; except for generally anti-freeway activists it appears that both the state legislature and the individual county jurisdictions are on board with this corridor project.   Another contributing factor may be the perception that I-74, over the state line, is only being improved incrementally, with that corridor portion having no hard and fast ETA (particularly the "cutoff" along NC 211) with the bottom line that they can't depend upon NC to expedite building a corridor that funnels traffic to a SC recreational zone; it's more a matter of doing it themselves. 

Henry

Despite the holdup, I wouldn't be surprised if I-73 in SC were completed first, especially given the slower and far more painful process that I-74 is going through. Then again, Roanoke is playing the waiting game as well, which puts VA in the same boat.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

LM117

Quote from: Henry on September 10, 2021, 12:19:09 PM
Despite the holdup, I wouldn't be surprised if I-73 in SC were completed first, especially given the slower and far more painful process that I-74 is going through. Then again, Roanoke is playing the waiting game as well, which puts VA in the same boat.

I don't think Myrtle Beach gives a shit about I-74 anymore. Wilmington, on the other hand...
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

sparker

Quote from: LM117 on September 10, 2021, 12:42:17 PM

I don't think Myrtle Beach gives a shit about I-74 anymore. Wilmington, on the other hand...

The original HPC #5 authorizing legislation, along with the dual Interstate designations four years later, were promulgated by developmental interests in the SC coastal area; Wilmington, while nearby, wasn't even part of the initial equation.  The purpose was a corridor which would funnel midwest folks directly to Myrtle Beach, Georgetown, and, originally, Charleston.  NC was just another state to traverse, not a destination.  Of course, environmental and/or NIMBY concerns eliminated the Georgetown-Charleston section, leaving the coastline north of there as the target.  NCDOT went along with this concept because it fit into their plans for upgrades of US 74 east of Rockingham -- but it seems they had scant interest in the connector down NC 211 that diverted I-74 to US 17 and hence south into SC.  So a while back they cobbled up the I-20 extension proposal along US 76 as a way to include Wilmington in the plan, but SC would have none of it.  But, according to the authorizing legislation, I-74 is still supposed to head south down the coast into SC to serve the Myrtle Beach area.  It's surprising, at least to me, that to date there hasn't been an effort within NC and involving NCDOT as well as the state's congressional delegation to amend the HPC #5 legislation to take I-74 directly east into Wilmington, with the coastal corridor along US 17 being either an extension of I-140 or, fancifully, a 2di (a southern I-97?), with the NC 211-following portion simply deleted.  In any case, it's unlikely that the original plans will be followed; a more realistic configuration that serves more than just the MB area will eventually emerge and be implemented.   

Strider

Exactly. They only want I-73 to go there. I-74 should just go to Wilmington and end there.

LM117

Quote from: sparker on September 10, 2021, 06:56:56 PM

It's surprising, at least to me, that to date there hasn't been an effort within NC and involving NCDOT as well as the state's congressional delegation to amend the HPC #5 legislation to take I-74 directly east into Wilmington, with the coastal corridor along US 17 being either an extension of I-140 or, fancifully, a 2di (a southern I-97?), with the NC 211-following portion simply deleted.

Wilmington has definitely been lobbying NCDOT in recent years for I-74 to go to the city, and NCDOT seems very receptive to it. However, there's been no word from the Congressional delegation so far. I'd bet my house that if Congress wasn't an issue, NCDOT would send I-74 to Wilmington.

QuoteIn any case, it's unlikely that the original plans will be followed; a more realistic configuration that serves more than just the MB area will eventually emerge and be implemented.

Agreed. Nobody in their right mind heading to Myrtle Beach from Rockingham and points west and north is gonna follow I-74's crooked path to get there. They're gonna take I-73, and if they're coming from Lumberton and points north along I-95, safe bet is they're taking I-95 to I-73, and NCDOT appears to realize that. I also have a hard time believing that the Army Corps of Engineers will sign off on the proposed route south of Bolton, not only because of the sensitive wetlands, but because it's simply not needed, for the reason I just mentioned.

I'd like to know what the idiots who came up with the original idea were smoking.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

cowboy_wilhelm

I didn't realize this had been held up in litigation for so long. I just assumed it was moving forward at South Carolina speed.

While I-73 and I-74 each serve their purpose of reaching popular destinations, you have to admit it's rather redundant having two rural interstates running parallel to each other only 20-40 miles apart for the majority of the way. That's hard to sell with today's costs. I'd personally have I-73 hook towards Cheraw, Darlington and Florence before heading for Myrtle, but they're probably trying to avoid crossing the Pee Dee. I wouldn't be surprised if it never makes it north of I-95.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.