News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Defunct restaurant chains and retailers

Started by Stephane Dumas, September 05, 2016, 03:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: Brandon on May 31, 2018, 01:33:38 PM
Actually, Amoco is Standard Oil Of Indiana and has little to so with Standard Oil of New Jersey (Esso/Exxon) after 1911.

Indiana Standard history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amoco

So, they're the ones who bought the Patchogue Lace Mill.

http://digitalpml.pmlib.org/search.php?search=item&item=61

Quote from: roadman65 on June 01, 2018, 10:31:04 PM
Amoco in NJ was called American brand before the late 70’s.
New York too, and a lot of other places in the country. None of which I have a complete list of, BTW.

cjk374

My first time seeing Amoco gas was in Missouri. That was the best gas my old car ever burned. Sipped on it like a fine wine.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: roadman65 on May 30, 2018, 04:54:56 PM
I cant think of its name but in Bucks County, PA there was a store called Clover (not the defunct Strawbridge and Clover) but a small five and dime that used the name clover.  There was one at the former end of the Trenton Freeway near Morrisville where US 1 Business now ends at its parent since the Oxford Valley Bypass was extended.

I believe some existed in NJ (primarily way South Jersey) but cannot be sure.

We used to shop at Clover quite a bit.  It was similar to a Caldor or Bradlees.  There was one just of NJ 42 on NJ 168 in the Blackwood area and another on Cuthbert Blvd in Haddon Twp.  It was owned by Strawbridge and Clothier - Wiki:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clover_(store)

WR of USA

Sports Authority shut down sometime in the last few years. Since it was the only large scale sports store on Cape Cod, everyone drives a half hour to Plymouth to get some decent sneaks and equipment.
Traffic? No problem, enjoy the scenery!

Long live the lovely Sagamore and Bourne bridges and their welcoming traffic bottlenecks for the tourists!

hotdogPi

Quote from: WR of USA on June 07, 2018, 08:43:36 PM
Sports Authority shut down sometime in the last few years. Since it was the only large scale sports store on Cape Cod, everyone drives a half hour to Plymouth to get some decent sneaks and equipment.

Plymouth isn't on Cape Cod. Was this location in Plymouth or on Cape Cod?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

WR of USA

It was in Hyannis, but since that was the only sports store on the Cape, everyone goes to Dicks now by Route 44 in Plymouth in the Colony Place. It's harder in the summer because all the tourist traffic by the canal.
Traffic? No problem, enjoy the scenery!

Long live the lovely Sagamore and Bourne bridges and their welcoming traffic bottlenecks for the tourists!

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

The Lone Star Steakhouse and Saloon near Disney is now defunct.  A new steak place is being built in its place.  Don't know if its a big thing or just that one (or many other regional stores (as their website still is saying they are open).  However, its been there for decades and sits right at I-4 and SR 535 next to Landry's Restaurant.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SP Cook

And the latest retailer to go under is Magic Mart, which plied the very narrow market of being slightly below Wal-Mart (and in the old days, the general mid-market discount stores WM mostly replaced) but above seconds and rejects stores like Big Lot; also tended towards smaller towns and cheap rent locations where other retailers had left.

About 100 stores at it peak, down to 17 at the end, southern WV, southwestern VA, eastern KY, at one time upper east TN and northwest NC.

Closing by September.

roadman65

Are there any Shoney's left?  It seems that they all have gone from Central Florida.  They closed em one by one so it was hard to not see them go as a whole, but wondered if any exist in other states still.

Sheryl Crowe

Big John

abefroman329

Shoney's was attempting some sort of fast-casual version of the restaurant in Buford, GA, but it looks like it's no longer in operation.

If there's no midnight breakfast buffet, it's not a Shoney's.

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on July 02, 2018, 03:06:24 PM
And the latest retailer to go under is Magic Mart, which plied the very narrow market of being slightly below Wal-Mart (and in the old days, the general mid-market discount stores WM mostly replaced) but above seconds and rejects stores like Big Lot; also tended towards smaller towns and cheap rent locations where other retailers had left.

About 100 stores at it peak, down to 17 at the end, southern WV, southwestern VA, eastern KY, at one time upper east TN and northwest NC.

Closing by September.

Two in Kentucky that I know of, Hazard (in a very awkward location) and Pikeville/Coal Run Village (the US 23 strip.) I've never been in either.

The town this is really going to hurt is Welch. Their Kmart closed many years ago, but a new Walmart was built. It closed a couple of years ago. Magic Mart was left, and from all indications, it was doing a good business in Welch. McDowell County has enough issues as it is, and Magic Mart closing won't help from either a shopping or employment perspective.

I can't remember if Tazewell had a Kmart or not. Magic Mart closing will leave them without a major retailer, but it's an easy drive to either Pounding Mill/Claypool Hill/Richlands or Bluefield. Welch, not so much.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SP Cook

Sad to say, but anybody who cares about themselves or, yet more tragic, their children, has GTFO of Welch.  Which is exactly what four out of five have had the human decency to do.
Decades ago you could say "well, it does not have this or that, but it is where my work is".  Now there is no work.  What is left are people who simply do not care.

As to Shoney's it is slowly dying.  It has been in and out of bankruptcy at least twice.  Maybe three times.  And has spun off both its hotel business and Captain D's to raise cash.  Also used to own a small quasi chain of nicer restaurants, somewhat similar to Steak and Ale or such (I call it a quasi chain because while the restaurants were the same, the names were local.  I think there were about 12 or so.  In Charleston is was called "Fifth Quarter" becasue it was next to the arena.)    The places that remain, I think, are building they actually own or have long term favorable leases on.  The places are filthy and the food is the poorest quality available. 

formulanone

Amazingly, the Shoney's in Clanton, Alabama had decent food, was neat/clean, didn't look disheveled, and had good service. The interior was right out of the late-1980s but was surprisingly kept up. For really low expectations, it thankfully punched above its weight.

Usually, I steer clear of them, but there isn't much open at a late hour around there.

roadman65

Quote from: SP Cook on July 03, 2018, 10:16:50 AM
Sad to say, but anybody who cares about themselves or, yet more tragic, their children, has GTFO of Welch.  Which is exactly what four out of five have had the human decency to do.
Decades ago you could say "well, it does not have this or that, but it is where my work is".  Now there is no work.  What is left are people who simply do not care.

As to Shoney's it is slowly dying.  It has been in and out of bankruptcy at least twice.  Maybe three times.  And has spun off both its hotel business and Captain D's to raise cash.  Also used to own a small quasi chain of nicer restaurants, somewhat similar to Steak and Ale or such (I call it a quasi chain because while the restaurants were the same, the names were local.  I think there were about 12 or so.  In Charleston is was called "Fifth Quarter" becasue it was next to the arena.)    The places that remain, I think, are building they actually own or have long term favorable leases on.  The places are filthy and the food is the poorest quality available. 
Shoneys used to rule the south!  It used to have the Big Boy Franchise for years until it started to open stores in states that had the Big Boy Franchise to other vendors like Frisks in Florida and Bobs in Maryland. 

I do not know why they objected as in Virginia both Bobs Big Boy (former Marriot company) and Shoneys operated under the Big Boy Banner.

Then in 1997 their stock on the NASDAQ was doing more than well, and then all of a sudden they fell and fell fast.  I used to like their buffet in the morn and loved their corn beef hash.

Sheryl Crowe

ftballfan

Quote from: roadman65 on July 02, 2018, 07:28:05 PM
Are there any Shoney's left?  It seems that they all have gone from Central Florida.  They closed em one by one so it was hard to not see them go as a whole, but wondered if any exist in other states still.

According to Shoney's official website, there is one left in Central Florida, on Apopka-Vineland Road by Disney World

LM117

There used to be a pretty decent Shoney's off of I-95 (Exit 145) in NC just north of Rocky Mount in the Gold Rock area. We were stopped by there once in January 2002 on our way to a funeral in Orange, VA. It closed a long time ago and the rest of Gold Rock went to shit. The building is still there.

There was also one in Farmville, VA when we lived there from 2009-2011. No complaints there, either. It closed not long after we left. The building is now La Parota Grill.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

roadman65

Quote from: ftballfan on July 03, 2018, 04:17:38 PM

According to Shoney's official website, there is one left in Central Florida, on Apopka-Vineland Road by Disney World
I thought that one closed. 

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Quote from: ftballfan on July 03, 2018, 04:17:38 PM

We last went to that one in 2013. Food was unremarkable, the A/C was broken, service was okay, but hey...the kids were happy. Can't get them to eat vegetables on their own, but somehow when they can choose it themselves, they fill right up.

Flint1979

I haven't been to a Shoney's in years. In fact I didn't even know they still had locations open. They had one in Saginaw and one in Birch Run but those have been gone for several years. The one in Saginaw was a Lone Star and is now an IHOP and the one in Birch Run was a Big Boy and is now a Leo's Coney Island. I know they had some locations in Ohio too but never saw them much elsewhere.

Flint1979

Shoney's is still showing about 150 locations on their website.

jdb1234

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 06, 2018, 09:37:51 PM

And a new one opening north of me in Fultondale later this summer.

Flint1979

Quote from: jdb1234 on July 07, 2018, 02:57:02 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 06, 2018, 09:37:51 PM

And a new one opening north of me in Fultondale later this summer.
I saw on there where they have one opening in October 2018 in Defiance, Ohio too.

Brandon

Not defunct (by any means with 3 flipping stores on every flipping street corner), Mattress Firm is apparently headed to bankruptcy.

Mattress Firm explores U.S. bankruptcy to close stores

QuoteMattress Firm's deliberations offer the latest example of a U.S. brick-and-mortar retailer struggling financially amid competition from e-commerce firms such as Amazon.com Inc (AMZN.O).

I take issue with this as who the hell buys a mattress online?  The real issues are quoted below in the story.

QuoteMattress Firm lost Tempur Sealy International Inc (TPX.N), the maker of popular mattress brand Tempur-Pedic, as a supplier last year, limiting its offerings.

When you lose a big supplier like that, you get really screwed, and...

QuoteMattress Firm acquired HMK Mattress Holdings LLC, the parent company of competitor Sleepy's, in 2016 for $780 million and then rebranded the shops. Sleepy's had over 1,050 stores on the U.S. East Coast and Illinois.

Now we get to the real reason Mattress Firm is in trouble.  When you over-acquire competitors and have two or three stores on a corner, you've over-saturated the market for your own stores.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.