News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianP

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 02, 2019, 11:43:33 AM
Quote from: J3ebrules on October 02, 2019, 08:28:33 AM
Quote from: Rothman on September 11, 2019, 08:30:48 PM
As has been stated many times on here, the cost of converting the ACE to I-76 would be considerable for not much more benefit than is being attained currently.

I can imagine that upgrading the ACE to interstate standards would also have significant environmental impact, considering it goes straight through the Pinelands. Regardless of cost, there may also be some protected land involved.

The relatively-recent widening of the Expressway Eastbound took a few extra years in planning due to additional environmental research, even though the majority of the widening occurred in the median of the roadway.

As for an 'interstate standard' Expressway, honestly there isn't much to do.  The most significant issues would be raising of the bridge overpasses.  Otherwise, lanes, signage, lighting, shoulders, protection, etc are pretty much standard.  The intercept lot, gas stations and former visitors center in the median have proper ingress/egress.  Any substandard issues should be approved without much issue, or at worst a timeline of when it could be completed.

There's more issues with NJ 42 than with the Expressway in terms of interstate quality.
There are some underpass bridges with insufficient shoulders on the ACE. (NJ 50,
NJ 54, rail crossing between NJ 73 & 54, Albertson Rd / Rail, NJ 73, and here, and the west end at NJ 42).  So I would consider that significant work needed that the SJTA is very unlikely to want to do. 

I think NJ 42 is closer to interstate standard than the ACE.  I am not aware of it having insufficient shoulders or clearance issues.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: BrianP on October 02, 2019, 12:25:48 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 02, 2019, 11:43:33 AM
Quote from: J3ebrules on October 02, 2019, 08:28:33 AM
Quote from: Rothman on September 11, 2019, 08:30:48 PM
As has been stated many times on here, the cost of converting the ACE to I-76 would be considerable for not much more benefit than is being attained currently.

I can imagine that upgrading the ACE to interstate standards would also have significant environmental impact, considering it goes straight through the Pinelands. Regardless of cost, there may also be some protected land involved.

The relatively-recent widening of the Expressway Eastbound took a few extra years in planning due to additional environmental research, even though the majority of the widening occurred in the median of the roadway.

As for an 'interstate standard' Expressway, honestly there isn't much to do.  The most significant issues would be raising of the bridge overpasses.  Otherwise, lanes, signage, lighting, shoulders, protection, etc are pretty much standard.  The intercept lot, gas stations and former visitors center in the median have proper ingress/egress.  Any substandard issues should be approved without much issue, or at worst a timeline of when it could be completed.

There's more issues with NJ 42 than with the Expressway in terms of interstate quality.
There are some underpass bridges with insufficient shoulders on the ACE. (NJ 50,
NJ 54, rail crossing between NJ 73 & 54, Albertson Rd / Rail, NJ 73, and here, and the west end at NJ 42).  So I would consider that significant work needed that the SJTA is very unlikely to want to do. 

I think NJ 42 is closer to interstate standard than the ACE.  I am not aware of it having insufficient shoulders or clearance issues.

There's some ramp issues, such as very substandard turning radii and accel/decal lanes.

https://goo.gl/maps/rhhLecbueFjLgc5z7

https://goo.gl/maps/Ui2azjNCvYeyfpjeA

Some of the older accel/decal lanes are just the width of the shoulder, so they're only 10' wide, including overpasses.

Some of the regular lanes are only 11' wide in places.

ekt8750

The Creek Rd interchange is a right-in/right-out on both sides. Big no no.

BrianP

Quote from: ekt8750 on October 02, 2019, 02:43:39 PM
I think that problem could get rectified by the missing moves project.
http://www.rdvsystems.com/portfolio/i295-missing-moves-nj/

The project goes to bid next month. 
https://www.nj.gov/transportation/business/procurement/ConstrServ/documents/NOTICETOCONTRACTORS_DP19144.pdf

I'm guessing that this is not a design-build contract so the final design of the project is complete.  Wish I could see that.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: BrianP on October 02, 2019, 03:20:35 PM
I think that problem could get rectified by the missing moves project.
http://www.rdvsystems.com/portfolio/i295-missing-moves-nj/

The project goes to bid next month. 
https://www.nj.gov/transportation/business/procurement/ConstrServ/documents/NOTICETOCONTRACTORS_DP19144.pdf

I'm guessing that this is not a design-build contract so the final design of the project is complete.  Wish I could see that.

What do you mean you wish you could see that? You posted the link to it.

Now, I think there were some changes...I don't think the roundabout is part of the final design. But otherwise it's pretty much as shown I believe.

BrianP

That's what I meant.  That probably isn't the final design since that video is four years old.  That's more like an intermediate design. The initial design or idea had the ramps more SW of where they propose them to be now.  I think it gives a good idea of what it will look like.  But they may have made changes due to local feedback.  So seeing the final design plans would be nice to see if anything has changed. 

roadman65

I-80 has Hainesville Road a RIRO in Knowlton Township.  The feds have not said anything yet.   That one was left over from when US 611 entered NJ for a brief moment which maybe why it was allowed out of grandfather clause rule.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on October 03, 2019, 11:16:40 PM
I-80 has Hainesville Road a RIRO in Knowlton Township.  The feds have not said anything yet.   That one was left over from when US 611 entered NJ for a brief moment which maybe why it was allowed out of grandfather clause rule.

I-295's Exit 15, 16A & 16B are RIROs as well.  Several others from Exits 17 - 22 were eliminated.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: BrianP on October 03, 2019, 10:34:18 AM
That's what I meant.  That probably isn't the final design since that video is four years old.  That's more like an intermediate design. The initial design or idea had the ramps more SW of where they propose them to be now.  I think it gives a good idea of what it will look like.  But they may have made changes due to local feedback.  So seeing the final design plans would be nice to see if anything has changed. 

Looking back in my pics, on 6/13/18 there was a public meeting where I took pics.  If I knew how to load them on here I would!  But basically, the only thing I can see different is the roundabout is removed.  It appears the RIRO ramps along 42 South are basically the same; if anything, the radii may have been increased ever so slightly.

Since then, I recall seeing somewhere that they are still working with the developer on improving access to the shopping center (that may or may not ever happen).  Basically, they would close off the current access from Creek Road to/from 42 South, and extend Leaf Ave to meet further south on Creek Road (closer to where the Lawnmower Parts Store is located along Creek Rd).  I don't think I have any pictures of that, and I don't think that's going to be part of this current project.

If you keep an eye on the www.bidx.com website, while the main plans aren't available for public viewing, they will often post updated design plans viewable to the public.  However, these are construction plans, not overall designs of the area, so they're a bit hard to read and figure out on occasion!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: BrianP on October 03, 2019, 10:34:18 AM

Figured it out...at least the best you'll find now.  www.bidx.com .  Go to New Jersey Department of Transportation.  Look up Proposal 19144 (find a link to it...any one will do).  Look at the Geotech Report and Boring Logs.  It's a big file, but downloaded fast for me.  If you look and zoom in on page 257, that will probably be the best look at the actual design.  Many pages before that contain interesting info, although you will probably need a good idea of the area to understand exactly where they're referring to. 

storm2k

someone in the /r/newjersey reddit posted this beautiful image of the western end of 80 in nj in the water gap from 1965. look at the font on that sign:

KEVIN_224

All of those advertisements on the hillside!

Alps

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on October 18, 2019, 04:15:23 PM
Exactly my thought! That's a National Recreation Area.

ixnay

Quote from: Alps on October 20, 2019, 01:23:55 AM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on October 18, 2019, 04:15:23 PM
Exactly my thought! That's a National Recreation Area.

It is now.  It wasn't then, not until after the Tocks Island Dam project was canceled in the '70s.  Google "Tocks Island".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware_Water_Gap_National_Recreation_Area

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tocks_Island_Dam_controversy

ixnay

ixnay

Quote from: storm2k on October 18, 2019, 12:55:07 PM
someone in the /r/newjersey reddit posted this beautiful image of the western end of 80 in nj in the water gap from 1965. look at the font on that sign:

A funky font.  Too bad the sign right at the beginning of the deceleration lane is to distant to read.

ixnay

CrystalWalrein

https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/12002165__-.pdf

So this is Middlesex CR 2165, one of the new county routes that made it into the Straight Line Diagrams. Apparently the roads in Merrill Park, a county-run park, are now county highways in their own right.

However, the aforementioned route is just a car park.

NJRoadfan

Seems that numbers were randomly assigned to most of those park roads. Middlesex County doesn't appear to keep an actual inventory of park roads with route numbers. Union County by contrast does, they are all 700 series routes. At the end of the day, using the SLDs as a primary data source for county route information shouldn't be trusted. There is still a ton of outdated and incorrect information found within them.

roadman65

Quote from: NJRoadfan on October 27, 2019, 10:06:25 PM
Seems that numbers were randomly assigned to most of those park roads. Middlesex County doesn't appear to keep an actual inventory of park roads with route numbers. Union County by contrast does, they are all 700 series routes. At the end of the day, using the SLDs as a primary data source for county route information shouldn't be trusted. There is still a ton of outdated and incorrect information found within them.
WM. Tracey Drive in Mountainside is a 600 series number which is a park road in Union County.  Its the main N-S route in the Reservation linking New Providence Road with Glenside Ave. (CR 527).
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

WR Tracy Dr. (CR-645) and Summit Ln. (CR-642) are both part of longer thru routes that extend beyond the park.

Alps

Quote from: CrystalWalrein on October 27, 2019, 08:34:05 PM
https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/12002165__-.pdf

So this is Middlesex CR 2165, one of the new county routes that made it into the Straight Line Diagrams. Apparently the roads in Merrill Park, a county-run park, are now county highways in their own right.

However, the aforementioned route is just a car park.
I see a host of 2100 routes on that SLD that I know are not 2100 routes.

TheGrassGuy

For all of you who are interested, here's a list of all county routes in Bergen County signed with pentagons:

CR 4 (W Oakland Ave) and I-287 NB exit/entrance ramp
CR 7 (Sheridan Ave) and E Prospect St
CR 12 (Market St) and CR 507 (River Rd)
CR 17 (River Rd) and Northumberland Rd
CR 17 (River Rd) and NJ-4 EB exit/entrance ramp
CR 29 (Linwood Ave) and US-9W
CR 48 (Fairview Ave) and US-1-9
CR 55 (Polifly Rd) and I-80 WB exit ramp
CR 62 (Paramus Rd) and Red Mill Rd
CR 65 (Terrace Ave) and NJ-17 SB entrance ramp
CR 65 (Westminster Pl) and US-46
CR 67 (Midland Ave) and NJ-4 (Broadway)
CR 75 (E Saddle River Rd) and E Glen Ave
CR 76 (Fair Lawn Ave) and NJ-208 EB exit ramp
CR 79 (Saddle River Rd) and Red Mill Rd
CR 82 (E Glen Ave) and E Saddle River Rd
CR 124 (Bergen Tpk) and US-46
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Alps

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on December 22, 2019, 03:37:18 PM
For all of you who are interested, here's a list of all county routes in Bergen County signed with pentagons:

CR 4 (W Oakland Ave) and I-287 NB exit/entrance ramp
CR 7 (Sheridan Ave) and E Prospect St
CR 12 (Market St) and CR 507 (River Rd)
CR 17 (River Rd) and Northumberland Rd
CR 17 (River Rd) and NJ-4 EB exit/entrance ramp
CR 29 (Linwood Ave) and US-9W
CR 48 (Fairview Ave) and US-1-9
CR 55 (Polifly Rd) and I-80 WB exit ramp
CR 62 (Paramus Rd) and Red Mill Rd
CR 65 (Terrace Ave) and NJ-17 SB entrance ramp
CR 65 (Westminster Pl) and US-46
CR 67 (Midland Ave) and NJ-4 (Broadway)
CR 75 (E Saddle River Rd) and E Glen Ave
CR 76 (Fair Lawn Ave) and NJ-208 EB exit ramp
CR 79 (Saddle River Rd) and Red Mill Rd
CR 82 (E Glen Ave) and E Saddle River Rd
CR 124 (Bergen Tpk) and US-46

Roadgeek Adam

CR 5/69 signed as CR 5 by Passaic County on the Bergen/Passaic line in Glen Rock.

Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

ixnay

I imagine you can count the number of white, (almost) square NJ county road shields still deployed on one's hands.  I vaguely remember them.

ixnay

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ixnay on December 23, 2019, 05:46:18 AM
I imagine you can count the number of white, (almost) square NJ county road shields still deployed on one's hands.  I vaguely remember them.

ixnay

Nah. I know Camden County has numerous white shields.  On some roads they may be combined with 5 sided shields, but they still have a lot of the older shields down there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.