News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

AZ: I-15 bridge work in Virgin River Gorge

Started by roadfro, April 06, 2014, 05:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

Long waits are here for travelers using I-15 through Virgin River Canyon gorge
Richard Velotta, Las Vegas Review Journal, Sunday 4/06/2014

The Arizona Department of Transportation has begun work on a major overhaul of I-15 through the Virgin River Canyon gorge about 85 miles northeast of Las Vegas.

It's the largest project in more than 40 years on a real geographic oddity – a 29-mile stretch of interstate highway with just three exits, none of which serve any major commerce.

Much of the construction challenge has been in building and maintaining seven bridges over the Virgin River.

The refurbishment of the bridges and the highway will cost an estimated $250 million, and the state of Arizona has opted to work on it in chunks. ADOT began setting up traffic controls in late March on a $27 million portion of the project on Virgin River Bridge No. 6. Contracts already are underway on bridges 2, 3 and 7.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

thenetwork

Quote from: roadfro on April 06, 2014, 05:26:46 PM

The Arizona Department of Transportation has begun work on a major overhaul of I-15 through the Virgin River Canyon gorge about 85 miles northeast of Las Vegas.

It's the largest project in more than 40 years on a real geographic oddity – a 29-mile stretch of interstate highway with just three exits, none of which serve any major commerce.

Much of the construction challenge has been in building and maintaining seven bridges over the Virgin River.

The refurbishment of the bridges and the highway will cost an estimated $250 million, and the state of Arizona has opted to work on it in chunks. ADOT began setting up traffic controls in late March on a $27 million portion of the project on Virgin River Bridge No. 6. Contracts already are underway on bridges 2, 3 and 7.

Has anybody traveled the old road (Old US 89) between Mesquite and St. George as of late?  How much extra time &/or mileage is involved if one is to avoid the Gorge area altogether? 

Not to say that I've never had seen much traffic thru the Gorge the few times I have traveled it, but it might entice me to travel the old way next time...Especially if I'm heading north & uphill.

Rover_0

Quote from: thenetwork on April 06, 2014, 07:40:55 PM
Quote from: roadfro on April 06, 2014, 05:26:46 PM

Has anybody traveled the old road (Old US 89) between Mesquite and St. George as of late?  How much extra time &/or mileage is involved if one is to avoid the Gorge area altogether? 

Not to say that I've never had seen much traffic thru the Gorge the few times I have traveled it, but it might entice me to travel the old way next time...Especially if I'm heading north & uphill.

You mean Old US 91, right? Anyways, I'm quite surprised that there has been no movement to direct at least some traffic onto Old 91.

Also, I drove through the Gorge and aside from slowing down to 35 MPH it wasn't that bad. Granted, going south the delays weren't bad, although I was near the front. Going north was even less trouble.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

thenetwork

Yeah, I meant Old 91.  :ded: 

agentsteel53

the problem with old 91 is that it dumps you into the suburban dregs of St. George.  figure half an hour for the first 30 miles, then another half an hour for the next 5.

directing all the truck through traffic into generic lebensraum wasteland would be an exercise in hilarity, though...
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Rover_0

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 07, 2014, 11:57:18 AM
the problem with old 91 is that it dumps you into the suburban dregs of St. George.  figure half an hour for the first 30 miles, then another half an hour for the next 5.

directing all the truck through traffic into generic lebensraum wasteland would be an exercise in hilarity, though...

True on that. If it's a big enough problem, you could use UT-56/NV-319/US-93, which I believe they did for (I think) an earlier project.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Kniwt

Bumping to note that the barricades on the rebuilt Bridge #6 are being removed today and tomorrow ... and, in fact, traffic is quite a mess right now due to traffic breaks, etc. Also, the paving work from MP0-13 is just about done, too.
http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2016/05/12/jla-traffic-advisory-bridge-construction-to-delay-traffic-alternate-route-suggested

QuoteTraffic will be disrupted Thursday and Friday in the Gorge by construction work wrapping up on Bridge No. 6; motorists are advised to take an alternate route.

Construction crews will be removing the temporary concrete barriers from the Bridge No. 6 construction zone, Arizona Department of Public Safety Sgt. John Bottoms said.

... "These are the final days of construction and the bridge will be open soon,"  Bottoms said, "and there will be no more backups or delays."

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Kniwt on May 12, 2016, 01:41:04 PM
Bumping to note that the barricades on the rebuilt Bridge #6 are being removed today and tomorrow ... and, in fact, traffic is quite a mess right now due to traffic breaks, etc. Also, the paving work from MP0-13 is just about done, too.
http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2016/05/12/jla-traffic-advisory-bridge-construction-to-delay-traffic-alternate-route-suggested

QuoteTraffic will be disrupted Thursday and Friday in the Gorge by construction work wrapping up on Bridge No. 6; motorists are advised to take an alternate route.

Construction crews will be removing the temporary concrete barriers from the Bridge No. 6 construction zone, Arizona Department of Public Safety Sgt. John Bottoms said.

... "These are the final days of construction and the bridge will be open soon,"  Bottoms said, "and there will be no more backups or delays."

Speaking of bridge number 6, found this on ADOT's youtube site today:

rte66man

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 08, 2016, 11:16:44 AM

I wish all DOTs would post videos like this.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: rte66man on June 14, 2016, 09:26:46 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 08, 2016, 11:16:44 AM

I wish all DOTs would post videos like this.

I'm surprised they maintain a site with so few subscribers, they have some really neat videos.  My favorites generally came out of the US 89 cave in and Navajo 20 saga a couple years back.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.