News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cline Ave (IN 912) viaduct bridge to be closed permanently, replacement in doubt

Started by mgk920, December 28, 2009, 07:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

So a page update is in order for our Indiana 912 guide. Which part of the road is closed? The article did not specify with much detail. Does that mean that the freeway now consists of two disconnected spurs, or did they shut down a much longer portion of the highway?

Sykotyk

Two issues.

1) When the state leased off the toll road, there was a provision regarding what type of upgrades/etc could be done to roads in the vicinity of the toll road. As a lot of people use the 94/912 as a bypass to the toll road on the western part of the state into Chicago (I did), is that a motivating factor in not replacing it?

And 2) is the closure financially motivated to give more business to the toll road along that stretch regardless of the usage of IN-912?

Sykotyk

Brandon

Quote from: AARoads on December 29, 2009, 12:01:08 AM
So a page update is in order for our Indiana 912 guide. Which part of the road is closed? The article did not specify with much detail. Does that mean that the freeway now consists of two disconnected spurs, or did they shut down a much longer portion of the highway?

It is a temporary closure due to the viaduct.  The closure is between US-41 (Calumet Ave) in Hammond and Michigan Ave in East Chicago. http://www.gcmtravel.com/gcm/motdRss.jsp

Either the viaduct will be repaired or it is will be torn down and rebuilt.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

froggie

Some of the stories I've read suggest it may not be rebuilt in-kind, though...

rawmustard

Quote from: froggie on December 31, 2009, 09:42:14 AM
Some of the stories I've read suggest it may not be rebuilt in-kind, though...

I wouldn't think they'd dare rebuild the bridge to current standards if indeed a design flaw is the problem. Hopefully a new design would last more than 30 years and require less patching.

froggie

In-kind meaning that they wouldn't be replacing the bridge in the existing location.  According to Stephen Summers (a NW Indiana resident) who posted elsewhere, INDOT has announced that they are NOT going to replace the bridge.  This is partially backed up by a local news story where an INDOT representative stated "It is not going to be rebuilt in the current shape and form, but we will do something."

Hellfighter

Alex

tdindy88

Just saw a news article that states that Governor Daniels does plan on replacing the bridge but there is no specific timeline as to when.

ssummers72

Hellfighter

I don't understand why they want to downgrade IN-912 to a surface street?

Scott5114

I've read that it's for cost reasons, i.e. it doesn't make sense to spend the money to build a replacement bridge with the traffic levels IN 912 has.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Looks like politics too. The GOP etablishment in Indianapolis has no incentibeto build it i the very democratic Lake county
Also Daniels sold the toll road I am sure they wont miss Cline Avenue extension
It didnt last long....I am sure there is a story there too

Illinois is funding teh Illiana studies looks like that is the futire not Cline Ave

Chris

That section only carries between 22,000 and 33,000 AADT. It's not much, but a little high for city street. The highest volumes are found approaching the US 20 cloverleaf. The closed section has six lanes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.