News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

St. Louis freeways

Started by Chris, June 21, 2009, 02:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

intelati49

Quote from: JMoses24 on May 26, 2017, 07:52:15 PM
Anyone know what they're doing at MO 141 and I-44?

Adding In a flyover ramp NB to eb.

http://www.modot.org/Route141/

JMoses24

Quote from: intelati49 on May 26, 2017, 09:44:22 PM

Thanks! When I went through Friday night, I saw the steel beams over I-44 and it got my curiosity. I do wonder why, as part of the work on the interchange, they aren't building a bridge to re-route MO 141 over top of 44, as opposed to underneath.

kcajl

Quote from: JMoses24 on May 29, 2017, 01:43:05 AM
Quote from: intelati49 on May 26, 2017, 09:44:22 PM

Thanks! When I went through Friday night, I saw the steel beams over I-44 and it got my curiosity. I do wonder why, as part of the work on the interchange, they aren't building a bridge to re-route MO 141 over top of 44, as opposed to underneath.

$$$  I was on the winning design team for this project. The budget just wasn't enough to improve the congestion and raise 141.  The total project budget was only $25 million.

intelati49

Quote from: kcajl on June 01, 2017, 12:19:20 PM
$$$  I was on the winning design team for this project. The budget just wasn't enough to improve the congestion and raise 141.  The total project budget was only $25 million.

That's cool. In what capacity are you involved on the design team? (I'm. Civil Engineering Student)

Revive 755

Page IR 66 from one of the EIS's for I-255 has a nice map of the St. Louis region back when the Page Avenue Freeway would have gone much further inside of the I-270/I-255 loop and would have had a western terminus around the I-70/MO 79 interchange.  The map also has the earlier, non-freeway version of MO 370 with a southward extension that would have crossed back over the Missouri River.

One of the EIS's for MO 755 has been made available by Google.  Page 3-17 has I-44 going east of the southern I-55 interchange prior to the recent construction of the new I-70 bridge.

Revive 755

MoDOT is no longer signing Business 55 at Exit 178 in Herculaneum:  Streetview.  It's still signed at the US 67 interchange.  Something to do with a jurisdictional transfer of McNutt Street, or signs that this loop will be fully removed?

CapeCodder

If I-70 was the Mark Twain Expressway, 64/40 the Daniel Boone Expressway, and 55 the Ozark Expressway; what was I-44? You'd think 44 would be the Ozark because it goes, well, into the Ozarks. Seems like no one in the STL area calls the interstates by their expressway names (unless it's I-64 in that case it's 40, or Hwy Farty.) I still remember when you hit the Daniel Boone Bridge and 64 just ended. The St. Chuck side of the river had rolling terrain, in fact you had to go over I think three small hills just west of the bridge. Those are gone now. The pavement on 40/61 near Wentzville was a mix of concrete and asphalt. The traffic lights were a pain in the damn ass.

Revive 755

Quote from: CapeCodder on January 17, 2018, 03:13:22 PM
If I-70 was the Mark Twain Expressway, 64/40 the Daniel Boone Expressway, and 55 the Ozark Expressway; what was I-44? You'd think 44 would be the Ozark because it goes, well, into the Ozarks.

In the 1951 plan, the Ozark Expressway was a combination of today's I-55 (with some adjustments) and a route running from I-55 south of the Reavis Barracks interchange westward to today's MO 366/Watson Road east of US 61/67/US 50/Lindbergh.  The section of highway connecting the Ozark to US 61 was simply called the "US 61 Connector".  I'm guessing having the Reavis Barracks - Watson route morph into today's I-270 alignment had something to do with I-55 keeping the Ozark designation.

When more serious consideration was given to building I-44 along its present route, I don't recall seeing any other names used than variants of "I-44".

ilpt4u

This was commented on back in 2014 on page 5 of this thread...

But I find it amazing the I-70 Reversible lanes in/out of Downtown do not have access to the Stan Musial Bridge/Thru I-70. And beyond that, there is no signage, at all, when heading Inbound from the Airport that Thru I-70 Traffic to IL cannot use the Express lanes.

The only signage is "Express Lanes Open. Downtown"  or something very similar

I believe the Reversible Expres Lanes predate the new bridge, but come on, that should seriously be signed on the BGSs approaching the Express Inbound, especially for out of town traffic that just rented a car @ Lambert.

It is reasonable to expect Express Lanes to have access to the Designated Highway Thru Traffic, and if it does not, it needs to be signed appropriately. In this case, it needs to be signed as an early exit for I-44, and clearly signed for no Stan Musial or Poplar Street (Interstate) Bridge access. There is access to the non-Interstate/Freeway Eads and MLK Bridges

I have noticed this just a few times driving back to SoIL from Lambert. I am now familiar with the setup, but the lack of signing still strikes me as odd and poor. Just drove it again last night. First time I drove it after moving to SoIL, I ended up having to use the Eads or MLK Bridge (don't remember which) to cross the River

mrsman

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 23, 2018, 03:45:03 PM
This was commented on back in 2014 on page 5 of this thread...

But I find it amazing the I-70 Reversible lanes in/out of Downtown do not have access to the Stan Musial Bridge/Thru I-70. And beyond that, there is no signage, at all, when heading Inbound from the Airport that Thru I-70 Traffic to IL cannot use the Express lanes.

The only signage is "Express Lanes Open. Downtown"  or something very similar

I believe the Reversible Expres Lanes predate the new bridge, but come on, that should seriously be signed on the BGSs approaching the Express Inbound, especially for out of town traffic that just rented a car @ Lambert.

It is reasonable to expect Express Lanes to have access to the Designated Highway Thru Traffic, and if it does not, it needs to be signed appropriately. In this case, it needs to be signed as an early exit for I-44, and clearly signed for no Stan Musial or Poplar Street (Interstate) Bridge access. There is access to the non-Interstate/Freeway Eads and MLK Bridges

I have noticed this just a few times driving back to SoIL from Lambert. I am now familiar with the setup, but the lack of signing still strikes me as odd and poor. Just drove it again last night. First time I drove it after moving to SoIL, I ended up having to use the Eads or MLK Bridge (don't remember which) to cross the River

The I-95 express lanes north of Baltimore do not allow connections to/from the I-695 Beltway.  But there are excellent signs alerting drivers of that fact:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3915847,-76.4361928,3a,75y,215.26h,90.56t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sLtgbprFKTesA-uKGjWs0Ig!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DLtgbprFKTesA-uKGjWs0Ig%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D300.50766%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

And it is a shock that you can't access those bridges as you used to be able to access the Poplar Street from I-70 prior to the building of the Stan.  You're right, this should be highlighted that the express lanes allow you to access Downtown streets, 55 Memphis, or 44 Tulsa, but not directly to the freeways to Illinois.

Scott5114

Someone shoot MoDOT an email and see what they say.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ilpt4u

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 24, 2018, 05:29:08 AM
I used their "Report a Road Concern"  web form and submitted a signage concern for the Inbound I-70 Express/Local split

I am interest to see if 1) I even get a response and 2) What said response is

Scott5114

If you don't get a response, see if you can dig up an email for the St. Louis district office. They should bounce it over to the correct person.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Plutonic Panda

Can someone in the know compile a list of all the freeway projects in STL metro? I really like STL freeways. I sure hope when the time comes, they keep the double stack and perhaps even expand it. I fear it will be torn down however.

skluth

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 31, 2018, 10:34:41 AM
Can someone in the know compile a list of all the freeway projects in STL metro? I really like STL freeways. I sure hope when the time comes, they keep the double stack and perhaps even expand it. I fear it will be torn down however.

Missouri projects are at http://www.modot.org/plansandprojects/index.htm
Illinois IDOT projects are at http://www.idot.illinois.gov/transportation-system/transportation-management/featured-projects/index

I don't know of any STL-specific sites

mvak36

Quote from: skluth on March 24, 2018, 04:00:25 PM

Illinois IDOT projects are at http://www.idot.illinois.gov/transportation-system/transportation-management/featured-projects/index

You might be able to find some stuff at http://www.modot.org/stlouis/

iPhone
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

skluth

The ramp from northbound MO-141 to westbound I-44 opened last Friday. The much-awaited (and needed) flyover ramp from southbound MO-141 to eastbound I-44 opens in a couple weeks.

http://www.kmov.com/story/38051893/modot-to-open-first-stage-of-new-141i-44-interchange-this-week

FENTON (KMOV.com) -
I-44 drivers who use northbound Route 141 during their commute will soon see improvements in their commute time.

MoDOT crews will open a new loop ramp from northbound Route 141 to westbound I-44 by 3 p.m. Friday, April 27.

This will be the first of several changes coming to the interchange as part of continuing work to improve the flow of traffic around the area. MoDOT says in two weeks, the flyover ramp from southbound Route 141 to eastbound I-44 will open.

MoDOT is asking drivers to who use the interchange daily to slow down and pay attention for the next several weeks to get used to the new traffic patterns in the area.

skluth

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 24, 2018, 07:22:58 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 24, 2018, 05:29:08 AM
I used their "Report a Road Concern"  web form and submitted a signage concern for the Inbound I-70 Express/Local split

I am interest to see if 1) I even get a response and 2) What said response is

The St Louis Post Dispatch's website at stltoday.com hosts weekly transportation chats early Wednesday afternoons. The panel usually includes one person each from St Louis City, St Louis County, and MoDOT.

AsphaltPlanet

I put together a video of Highway 364 from a visit last summer.  I did a freeway tour of Saint Louis last July, and I really enjoyed some of the roads, particularly Highway 364:

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

edwaleni

Nice video of MO-364.

I remember my brother lived on Bennington Place right next to the ramp when the " Olive Blvd. Extension" was still in planning.

I will have you know that once this road got defunded and MoDOT began to sell off the ROW west of Bennington. Developers bought it up and built subdivisions.

Then less than 4 years after the houses were built, MoDOT came into a large earmark and changed their mind on MO-364. They had to go back and repurchase all the ROW they had released. It was very expensive!!

My brother said the politics in West StL County were pretty vocal about getting the road built. The people on Olive east of I-270 were not pleased that a 6 lane highway was going to dump unto a 4 lane urban arterial.

The Missouri bridges are really nice.

skluth

Made a video this morning of the new flyover ramp from SB MO 141 to EB I-44 in Valley Park MO. I don't have a stand, so it's a bit jerky from holding my phone. They should be opening the two cloverleaf ramps soon. Audio is from a Nerdist podcast with David Tennant guesting. Sorry if you're not a fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0MbrOvW--4

skluth

Quote from: edwaleni on May 20, 2018, 08:32:37 PM
Nice video of MO-364.

I remember my brother lived on Bennington Place right next to the ramp when the " Olive Blvd. Extension" was still in planning.

Thanks for the history. It's actually the Page Avenue extension (next exit north), but that's a minor quibble.

edwaleni

Quote from: skluth on May 22, 2018, 02:18:26 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on May 20, 2018, 08:32:37 PM
Nice video of MO-364.

Thanks for the history. It's actually the Page Avenue extension (next exit north), but that's a minor quibble.

Thanks for the correction. I realized my error a few hours later but didnt make the edit.

It is the Page Extension, not the Olive.

Revive 755

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: mvak36 on March 24, 2018, 05:55:05 PM
Quote from: skluth on March 24, 2018, 04:00:25 PM

You might be able to find some stuff at http://www.modot.org/stlouis/

iPhone
Just saw these. Thank you for the links.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.