News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Threads you'll never see on aaroads.com

Started by hm insulators, October 21, 2013, 04:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: yakra on March 06, 2017, 11:50:56 AM
Quote from: kphoger on March 05, 2017, 03:43:41 PM
I'm thinking about delta junctions wherein the non-terminating road is a divided highway.
Tried Googling it, but the first page of results were just about an eponymous City in Alaska. What's a delta junction?

A T-intersection where the terminating road is flared out to allow for higher-speed exiting and entering.

Here is an example of a high-speed RIRO.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

sparker

My first RIRO post was not referring to entrance/exit configurations that were essentially half a folded diamond, but rather streets that intersect a freeway/expressway without curved or banked ramps that allow exits and entrances greater than about 10-15mph -- like the old frontage road "interchanges" on CA 99 betgween Manteca and Stockton, now removed with the revamping of that highway.  IIRC, there's one remaining between Delano and Tulare as well NB.  Attempting high speed on any of those would put the driver into either the chain-link fence between the main lanes and the frontage road or spinning out into one of the adjoining fields!  The now-defunct ones north of Manteca also included stop signs (and very short merging lanes) at the freeway entrance.   

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

MNHighwayMan

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

CNGL-Leudimin

Thread titles you wouldn't expect to appear in "Threads you'll never see on aaroads.com" (For example, one I said several months ago that was controversial as it was nearly child sexual abuse)

Somerset freeway finally U/C!
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

vdeane

Quote from: kphoger on March 06, 2017, 12:06:32 PM
I'm thinking about delta junctions wherein the non-terminating road is a divided highway.
Tried Googling it, but the first page of results were just about an eponymous City in Alaska. What's a delta junction?

A T-intersection where the terminating road is flared out to allow for higher-speed exiting and entering.

You mean like a wye, or something else?  Not sure how a wye allows higher speeds, as you still have stop signs on the end (and one on of the directions where they merge).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

noelbotevera

how do i capture oxygen and convert it into carbon dioxide by using my mouth and a motion to take in this oxygen to do this process in an organ called "the lungs" and then let go of the air after it has been converted so i do not run out of oxygen?

sparker

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 06, 2017, 01:21:07 PM
What does "RIRO" mean, anyways? :hmmm:
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 06, 2017, 01:21:37 PM
Right-In Right-Out

It would be very ironic if an In-N-Out were to be located at a RIRO.

Or maybe one of those specific-to-rural-Nevada gentlemen's establishments that detoured the I-11 extension thread in Southwest a few weeks ago. 

formulanone

Quote from: sparker on March 06, 2017, 08:48:30 PM
Right-In Right-Out

Or maybe one of those specific-to-rural-Nevada gentlemen's establishments that detoured the I-11 extension thread in Southwest a few weeks ago. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGrvQ1c5khU

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

Quote from: vdeane on March 06, 2017, 06:06:24 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 06, 2017, 12:06:32 PM

You mean like a wye, or something else?  Not sure how a wye allows higher speeds, as you still have stop signs on the end (and one on of the directions where they merge).

Yes, like a wye junction.  A RIRO differs from a typical wye junction in that access is only to/form side of the through road.

This is a RIRO, for everyone's benefit:

The example I posted above is signed for 60 km/h, which actually seems a little low for the geometry.  (FWIW, left turns are handled instead my median U-turns farther downstream.)
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Darkchylde

FritzOwl's Fictional US Highway Expansion Thread :P

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Darkchylde on March 07, 2017, 02:34:39 PM
FritzOwl's Fictional US Highway Expansion Thread :P

This has come up a couple times in this thread, obviously there is a call out in the community for it. 

sparker

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 07, 2017, 02:24:51 PM
Right-In Right-Out

https://goo.gl/maps/g1jRWKb8N9p

OK, fine!  A little diluted, as every business along Sahara is reached with its own RIRO (and can be accessed by the cross street as well).  Still, good catch!

sparker

Quote from: formulanone on March 06, 2017, 08:54:51 PM
Right-In Right-Out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGrvQ1c5khU

Cute!  As long as you're at it, please download the "Argument Clinic" sketch!!!!!

freebrickproductions

Shortest Trans-dimensional State Route?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

inkyatari

Proposed Hyperspace Bypasses

How Many Times can Inky do the Same Joke?
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

formulanone

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 12, 2017, 03:15:06 AM

Alabama SR 62, although some of those Hawaiian Routes covered in lava and ancient curses might qualify.

MNHighwayMan

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 13, 2017, 01:28:05 PM
Quote from: formulanone on March 13, 2017, 10:12:04 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 12, 2017, 03:15:06 AM

Alabama SR 62

Context?

Random oddball route: Four lanes, two miles, only leads to a long-dead factory, road was given state-route status after factory closed, and the number was transferred from another route. Not exactly the stuff of ancient aliens, but seems to have been driven by a complete lack of rhyme or reason.

MNHighwayMan

Wow, I looked it up and you weren't joking. Weird as hell. A four-lane divided highway that just... ends.

hbelkins

Somebody needs to post one of the photos from Cody's meet a couple of years back showing people prone in the roadway next to the "Speed Limit 65" sign.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.