News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 04, 2024, 12:24:27 PM
The interoperability will not change.  Theory here is ISTHA is the first of the agencies to go sticker as this might be the start of standardization where stickers win.
Does that mean other EZ-Pass agencies with stickers (thinking North Carolina) that the stickers will now work in EZ-Pass land? Before they had both a hard pack option for EZ-Pass interoperability

See nothing on the NC QuickPass website about changes to its sticker acceptance

I missed that Georgia's PeachPass had already joined EZ-Pass and uses stickers

lstone19

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 04, 2024, 07:54:33 AM
ISTHA has spoken  The agency has changed to stickers 😡

Those with I-PASS cartridge transponder can use them as long as they still work - but when they expire, you're stuck (pun intended). You won't be able to use them in rentals after are forced on to them just like with FL/GA, TX/OK/KS, CO and WA. 

I-PASS is still part of the E-ZPass network despite the change.

Regarding rentals, ISTHA says tickets will be free if ordered online. How many you can order at a time is unknown but if I can, I'll get a bunch and use them one-time in rentals. But that depends on what the rental companies do. If they mount stickers in their cars, then I'll shunpike (fortunately my Illinois use is such that I can generally shunpike) but that will preclude using transponders from other states. But considering how rental fleets move about the country, permanently mounted stickers in rental cars is a problem since a car might not be a local car (in the last few years, I've only rented from National and Hertz at O'Hare and I'd say the available cars (I'm in both of their programs where you pick your own car from a designated area) are always about 50% out-of-state).

Rothman

Stickers don't sound very transferable between vehicles.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Rothman on February 04, 2024, 02:49:36 PM

Stick the sticker on your old, inoperable transponder and it is.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

oscar

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 04, 2024, 03:00:46 PM

There's the old Scotch Tape trick, too. Of course, even if the toll agency is OK with a DIY sticker switch, you'd have to report the move so the license plate readers at toll plazas won't get confused if there's a sticker misread.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Rothman

Quote from: oscar on February 04, 2024, 03:24:32 PM

There's the old Scotch Tape trick, too. Of course, even if the toll agency is OK with a DIY sticker switch, you'd have to report the move so the license plate readers at toll plazas won't get confused if there's a sticker misread.
All I'm saying is that I move my chunky E-ZPass between vehicles without any issue, whether or not I update my account with the license plates (rental companies and E-ZPass IAG recommend not doing so with rental cars).  If they switched to a sticker, it sounds like I'd lose that convenience.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

lstone19

Quote from: Rothman on February 04, 2024, 03:36:22 PM
Quote from: oscar on February 04, 2024, 03:24:32 PM

All I'm saying is that I move my chunky E-ZPass between vehicles without any issue, whether or not I update my account with the license plates (rental companies and E-ZPass IAG recommend not doing so with rental cars).  If they switched to a sticker, it sounds like I'd lose that convenience.

The latter is what I do. I have a suction cup mount so I don't need to put velcro strips each car. I have a 100% read rate with it.

For stickers, if possible, I'd get a lot, put one in a rental, and then pull it off and throw it away. But I'll deal with it when the time comes. I have an ISTHA transponder and a NYSTA transponder both good for a few years at this point.

vdeane

This sticker move also makes it harder to avoid transponder discrimination.  I know at least one person who has more than one E-ZPass to minimize the amount of out of state rates they have to deal with when traveling the northeast corridor.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

boilerup25

Excuse the derailment of the existing topic, but I recently passed by the future I-90/I-490 interchange and saw some progress being made, and something a little interesting when it comes to signs, especially with ground-mounted I-490 signs:

I-90 WB to I-490 SB:

I-490 bridge:

Sign for I-490 SB from I-90 EB reversed until the road is open (excuse the poor quality):

Transcribed: TOLL SOUTH I-490 <-

Covered BGS for I-490 SB from I-90 EB:

This might be the first time I have seen a (partially) visible I-490 sign in Illinois. There are no I-490 signs on I-294 (no BGS's or pole mounted signs), and per Google Street View, the BGS indicating I-490 SB from future IL 390 EB is still missing the I-490 shield.

*This GSV dates to 2022.

I wonder what's with the arrow being mismatched and in the wrong direction for the TOLL SOUTH I-490 sign? I thought that arrow was supposed to be a white arrow on a blue background for an interstate, not a black arrow on a white background.

edwaleni

SSOWorld

not likely.  Good luck with them toll violations
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

ET21

New signage is up on SB 294 between Grand Ave and North Ave for the future County Line Rd exit
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: edwaleni on February 05, 2024, 01:47:36 PM
Go nuts.

https://www.amazon.com/QUIKSLOT-Business-Windshield-Vehicles-Mounting/dp/B0CQYYKDF6

Will this work? My understanding, which admittedly might be incorrect, is that the stickers make use of the windshield somehow to be read.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Brandon

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 08, 2024, 12:19:04 PM
Go nuts.

https://www.amazon.com/QUIKSLOT-Business-Windshield-Vehicles-Mounting/dp/B0CQYYKDF6

Will this work? My understanding, which admittedly might be incorrect, is that the stickers make use of the windshield somehow to be read.

That's been my understanding as well, and why people use cellophane tape for the stickers, if they do not want to remove the backing.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Great Lakes Roads

Brandon

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on February 11, 2024, 03:21:27 AM
Next toll plaza to get dismantled: Plaza 32 (I-294 NB to River Road and I-190 towards O'hare)...

Will be replaced with a monotube gantry... https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9866251,-87.8643858,3a,75y,66.97h,91.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTPk-G8ZVsx43i1aeMEvCHw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

https://www.illinoistollwaybidding.com/jobs/5686/details/i-23-4918-plaza-improvements

Plaza 32, O'Hare East.  I'm surprised this hasn't been replaced with a simple electronic gantry yet.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

rte66man

Quote from: Brandon on February 08, 2024, 02:56:28 PM
Go nuts.

That's been my understanding as well, and why people use cellophane tape for the stickers, if they do not want to remove the backing.

The successful read rate drops if the sticker isn't directly on the windshield.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

edwaleni

Quote from: rte66man on February 13, 2024, 06:08:30 PM
Quote from: Brandon on February 08, 2024, 02:56:28 PM
Go nuts.

The successful read rate drops if the sticker isn't directly on the windshield.

I am not calling you out personally, but I do call BS on the "direct" to the glass requirement.

RFID tattoos or bar code scan, as long as it is readable or visible to the reading/imaging device above, you are good.

If the sticker is not anywhere near the windshield, (like on the back of your mirror) then of course, diffusion would probably ruin the read.

But having a sticker less than 1mm below the glass pane should not create a false or error-ed out read.

I think the jury is still out on this perception of the stickers.

ET21

A minor shift between 55th St and Plainfield Rd on SB 294 as everything has been ripped up on the right side. Only other major note is the new towers for the eventual I-490 ramp from NB 294.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.