News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New islands

Started by Poiponen13, November 23, 2022, 12:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poiponen13

Imagine that there are plans to build new islands off the coast of US. Where would you put them? What kind of roads would be there? Would roads be extended from mainland?

kphoger

Quote from: Poiponen13 on November 23, 2022, 12:46:37 PM
Where would you put them?

In the water.

What kind of roads would be there?

Fritzways.

Would roads be extended from mainland?

On floating bridges, and also numbered with continuity by way of ferries.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Poiponen13

Quote from: kphoger on November 23, 2022, 12:48:09 PM
Where would you put them?

In the water.
Where in the coast would you put them? In which latitude?

Max Rockatansky

Wasn't Alanland a fictional island off the coast of Eureka made reality?

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 23, 2022, 12:50:44 PM

that was offensive, insulting, and inappropriate, i might report this to EPD, and to your local police departments, and EPD is the police department for The City of Eureka, watch out and be careful, because you will be arrested, this is against the law, be careful, and don't say anything, go mess around another person's topic, or go mess around some other website.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

NWI_Irish96

I'd put an island at the MI/IL/IN tripoint.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hotdogPi

If it's more than 3 nautical miles off the coast, it's not bound by state law of any state, except the Gulf Coasts of Texas and Florida, where the boundary is 9 nautical miles. (The Atlantic Coast of Florida is still 3.) Abortion clinic off the coast of Mobile, AL? Sports gambling havens in near several states? Dare I say it... prostitution?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Who's doing the planning/building?
Male pronouns, please.

GaryV

Quote from: kphoger on November 23, 2022, 02:38:09 PM
I don't know, but the island has to have a streetcar and a subway. With colored letters for the line names, heavily favoring jade, of course.

Bruce

Imagine that there are plans to build new islands off the coast of US. Where would you put them? What kind of roads would be there? Would roads be extended from mainland?

Doesn't take long for the seafloor to drop off to depths that make land reclamation almost impossible with current technology. We don't need new islands.

Poiponen13

Quote from: GaryV on November 23, 2022, 02:49:44 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 23, 2022, 02:38:09 PM
I don't know, but the island has to have a streetcar and a subway. With colored letters for the line names, heavily favoring jade, of course.
I think that so small islands don't need to have a streetcar or a subway. Some island-wide bus lines at most.

skluth

Quote from: Bruce on November 23, 2022, 02:51:16 PM

Doesn't take long for the seafloor to drop off to depths that make land reclamation almost impossible with current technology. We don't need new islands.

There are several places in the ocean where banks, seamounts, and reefs either are just below or barely breach the surface. The Chinese have built several islands on reefs in the South China Sea as part of their hegemonic claim within the nine-dash line. There were proposals to do the same to several Pacific Islands back last century but those have stopped due to sea level rise and environmental concerns. (The Chinese government doesn't care about the environment in the SCS.) There are also several old drilling platforms, the most notorious being Sealand.

Rather than at sea, I think a good place for a manmade island would be at the south end of Lake Michigan. Build it a couple miles off the coast of Chicago and make it big enough for an airport to replace O'Hare and Midway. Extend the Stephenson with a bridge to connect the island to I-55 and an el extension from downtown. It would be the easiest airport to reach from downtown, replacing Meigs after Daley II destroyed it.

Scott5114

Having a major airport hub in the middle of a Great Lake might be dicey in the wintertime.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Big John

Poiponen13

Quote from: skluth on November 23, 2022, 05:33:56 PM
Quote from: Bruce on November 23, 2022, 02:51:16 PM

There are several places in the ocean where banks, seamounts, and reefs either are just below or barely breach the surface. The Chinese have built several islands on reefs in the South China Sea as part of their hegemonic claim within the nine-dash line. There were proposals to do the same to several Pacific Islands back last century but those have stopped due to sea level rise and environmental concerns. (The Chinese government doesn't care about the environment in the SCS.) There are also several old drilling platforms, the most notorious being Sealand.

Rather than at sea, I think a good place for a manmade island would be at the south end of Lake Michigan. Build it a couple miles off the coast of Chicago and make it big enough for an airport to replace O'Hare and Midway. Extend the Stephenson with a bridge to connect the island to I-55 and an el extension from downtown. It would be the easiest airport to reach from downtown, replacing Meigs after Daley II destroyed it.
My planned islands would be like e.g. Flinders Island in Australia, Isle of Man in UK, Ã...land in Finland, Heimaey in Iceland, Jeju in South Korea, all islands of the coast of Japan etc. where would be towns, villages, mountains, roads and farmland. Roads in islands would be numbered. I like to find out what roads numbers are used in island, and what in mainland.

Poiponen13

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 23, 2022, 12:50:44 PM
Alanland was in continental area.

skluth

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 23, 2022, 07:50:45 PM
Having a major airport hub in the middle of a Great Lake might be dicey in the wintertime.

Flying in and out of any airport in the Midwest in wintertime can be dicey.

Rothman

Quote from: skluth on November 24, 2022, 11:45:32 AM

Pfft.  I used to live in Wisconsin and flew into Minneapolis or Duluth often.  No big deal.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

skluth

Quote from: Rothman on November 24, 2022, 11:46:58 AM

Pfft.  I used to live in Wisconsin and flew into Minneapolis or Duluth often.  No big deal.

Tell that to Buddy Holly fans. (I also grew up in Green Bay. I know very well what airport conditions in winter weather can be like.)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: skluth on November 24, 2022, 11:51:39 AM
Quote from: Rothman on November 24, 2022, 11:46:58 AM

Tell that to Buddy Holly fans. (I also grew up in Green Bay. I know very well what airport conditions in winter weather can be like.)

Flying into Midway via Lansing in the late 1990s during on prop places during the winter was interesting.  You could really see how much the plane was being shifted around by the wind on the runway approach out the cockpit.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 24, 2022, 12:23:44 PM
Flying into Midway via Lansing in the late 1990s during on prop places during the winter was interesting.  You could really see how much the plane was being shifted around by the wind on the runway approach out the cockpit.

I was on a puddle jumper (a Shorts 330) from National to Toronto back in the early 1990s.  It was early Winter and the winds were rough.  We got hit with a nasty gust and the plane turned sideways just 50 feet up.  The pilot asked the co-pilot something, he responded "OK".  Next thing I know, the drop the plane onto the runway almost sideways and drag the keep the right wheel in the air.  Then they dropped the tail to get that wheel down.  The plane straightened out and they jerked right to get all three wheels down.  There was only about 12 on the flight, and we gave the crew a standing ovation.  I'm still surprised that nobody screamed, but I thought it was great fun at the time.  I probably couldn't handle it today.

Poiponen13

Islands off the coast of:
Jacksonville
Savannah
Charleston
Myrtle Beach
Wilmington
Virginia Beach
Boston

would be useful. They could be named with city name and word "Island" (such as Jacksonville Island), and have cities, towns, villages, forests, roads, farmland and mountains. They would have ferries to/from cities after which they are named.

GaryV

Quote from: Poiponen13 on November 24, 2022, 01:10:39 PM
Islands off the coast of:
Jacksonville
Savannah
Charleston
Myrtle Beach
Wilmington
Virginia Beach
Boston

would be useful.

"I told him we already got one."

kirbykart

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.