News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Audiobook or Old Time Radio listeners? (2024 Edition)

Started by ZLoth, January 01, 2024, 02:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

Anyone listen to Audiobooks or Old Time Radio programs when on a long drive, commute, or road trip? Consider me one of them. It's nice having a few books or shows downloaded to my phone for later playback.

For fully-dramatized audiobooks, the go-to source for me is GraphicAudio. The bad part is that, unless they are on sale, they tend to be expensive.

My other go-to source is Audible. They tend to have frequent sales, so you may want to build up a wishlist.

As for Old Time Radio, I tend to enjoy the old crime dramas as well as Science Fiction titles.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

bandit957

I'd like to still be able to listen to regular radio on road trips, but nobody else likes regular radio anymore. Who can blame them? It's gotten so bad. But I'd just like to be able to listen to the few remaining stations that might broadcast something listenable.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Hobart

If "Old Time Radio" is slang for like, radio in your car, yeah I still use it from time to time, usually if I don't have CDs with me.

A couple of summers ago I was listening to WGN 720 on my way to Gary, Indiana, because I was taking my mom's car to my internship and her CD player didn't work. I think I was listening to either easy listening or classic rock on the way back, not sure what channel.

I haven't been driving much, but if I'm in Chicagoland I'll tune it to 87.7, which is a very competent Oldies station. I listen to old time radio when cooking, but that's a Hispanic religious station... not because I'm religious, or understand what they say, but because they have decent music.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

ZLoth

Quote from: Hobart on January 01, 2024, 09:51:29 PMIf "Old Time Radio" is slang for like, radio in your car, yeah I still use it from time to time, usually if I don't have CDs with me.

Old Radio Dramas, e.g. Dragnet, Suspense, Lights Out, X Minus One, Escape, Lux Radio Theater, Jack Benny Show, The Whistler.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

ZLoth

One program that I have been using recently is OpenAudible which allows me to download my audible library and covert the files to either M4B or MP3 format. (Libration does the same thing as well.) Along with downloading a trove of Plus titles, I've been settings them up in a Emby instance on my TrueNAS core server. When I upgrade to TrueNAS scale, I'm going to give AudioBookShelf a try. Both will allow streaming to my phone when I'm driving.

Henry

I'm old time radio all the way! I like to keep SiriusXM on during long road trips, because it makes the journey go by faster. My presets include 70s on 7, 80s on 8, Watercolors, The Blend and Yacht Rock 311.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ET21

I am all podcasts and Spotify playlists for road trips especially now that Spotify premium has 15 hrs of audiobook time per month.

However when the free 2 weeks for SiriusXM come around I take a break and give those channels a listen. When I'm storm chasing I stick with local FM radio of wherever I'm at mainly for background noise and if a tornado warning is issued on the storm I'm going after. Shoutout to 106.1 FM The Valley in central IL on 2/27/24
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.