News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Nebraska

Started by Revive 755, March 29, 2009, 11:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvak36

Quote from: mvak36 on July 10, 2023, 10:14:46 AM
https://omaha.com/news/state-regional/government-politics/nebraska-to-undertake-689-million-in-roads-projects-this-year/article_3a7e9a1a-1b46-11ee-8c3c-67f71ae0a937.html

State officials have announced one of the biggest-ever years of highway construction and maintenance projects, with more than $689 million worth of projects scheduled to launch by June 30 next year.

The biggest project is expanding a 7.6-mile stretch of Interstate 80 to six lanes, from Northwest 56th Street in Lincoln to Pleasant Dale. The $122.2 million project is part of a long-term plan to make I-80 six lanes from Lincoln to Grand Island.

A second major project is rebuilding the interchange at U.S. Highway 6 (West Dodge Road) and 192nd Street in Omaha. The new $14.2 million interchange will have a diverging diamond configuration, which eliminates left turns and should improve safety and relieve traffic congestion.

Other big projects include rebuilding 9.3 miles of the Interstate from the Dawson County line to Odessa, at a cost of $61.2 million, and expanding U.S. Highway 30 to four lanes from U.S. Highway 281 west through Grand Island for 3.7 miles, a $45.7 million project.

Other capital projects in the Five-year plan. Most of these are in the 2025-2029 timeframe so hopefully they will still be on there over the next couple of years.

District 1
Lincoln West Beltway - $34.791 million
Wahoo to Fremont South (4 lane US77) - $113 million

District 2
Relinquishment of the Old US30 between North Bend and Fremont (I couldn't find any articles about it but maybe the 4-lane US30 between Fremont and Columbus is finally close to being completed) - FY2024 $11.438 million

District 3
Various projects on US275 to widen the remaining sections between Norfolk and Fremont - $195.112 million

District 4
Hastings Southeast - 35.902 million
York-Columbus (4-lane expansion on US81) - $287 million

District 5
Minatare-US385 (4-lane expansion on US26) - $94.673 million

District 6
Super 2 on US83 in Lincoln county - FY2024 $17.186 million

District 7
Super 2 on US83 in Frontier county - $17.406 million
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

SD Mapman

Quote from: jtespi on July 01, 2023, 04:52:19 AM
Quote from: DandyDan on June 21, 2023, 03:12:18 AM
FWIW, I drove up to Fremont from my parent's home in the Omaha area. They have thus far done a very poor job of marking the new (future?) US 77 exit on US 275. There isn't anything that let's you know it's upcoming until you are right there. The one mile warning for Morningside Road occurs first. It frankly all looks amateurish. Broad Street is still marked as US 77, too.

I don't think that road is open yet, correct? Google Maps says the newly constructed road and interchange are closed until July 2 (tomorrow). Perhaps they only put up the exit signs for that new exit just a few days ago. Google Street View from May 2023 shows no exit signage was installed at that time.
It was open when I came back up from my in-laws in the middle of June, signage at the south end directed US 77 onto the beltway.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

mrose

Quote from: mvak36 on July 10, 2023, 10:50:10 AM
Other capital projects in the Five-year plan. Most of these are in the 2025-2029 timeframe so hopefully they will still be on there over the next couple of years.

District 1

I assume this will be removing the remaining at-grades between I-80 and new Neb 2?

zzcarp

Quote from: mrose on July 12, 2023, 11:32:36 AM

District 1

I assume this will be removing the remaining at-grades between I-80 and new Neb 2?

Likely. Per the GIS map at the above Five Year Plan link, it's listed as an intersection improvement. But at nearly $35 million, that sounds like an interchange to me.

QuoteProgram Book Segments: Lincoln West Beltway
Hwy. No.   077
Begin Ref. Post   54.97
End Ref. Post   59.58
County   Lancaster
Control No.   12552A
Project No.   S-77-2(1074)
Location   Lincoln West Beltway
Length (MI.)   4.61
Type of Improvement   Intersection
Est. Cost ($1,000)   34,791
Program Year   2025-2029
District   1
So many miles and so many roads

mvak36

Quote from: zzcarp on July 12, 2023, 12:12:40 PM
Quote from: mrose on July 12, 2023, 11:32:36 AM

District 1

Likely. Per the GIS map at the above Five Year Plan link, it's listed as an intersection improvement. But at nearly $35 million, that sounds like an interchange to me.

QuoteProgram Book Segments: Lincoln West Beltway
Hwy. No.   077
Begin Ref. Post   54.97
End Ref. Post   59.58
County   Lancaster
Control No.   12552A
Project No.   S-77-2(1074)
Location   Lincoln West Beltway
Length (MI.)   4.61
Type of Improvement   Intersection
Est. Cost ($1,000)   34,791
Program Year   2025-2029
District   1

Here is a site describing the work for the West beltway (I don't think the site has been updated in a while): https://dot.nebraska.gov/projects/bna/first-10/fy-2020-2023/lincoln-west-beltway/
Proposed Construction:

The project involves upgrading existing US-77 to freeway standards from Saltillo Road to south of Van Dorn Street. This will include construction of a new interchange at the intersection of US-77 and Warlick Blvd.; construction of a new interchange at the intersection of US-77 and Pioneers Blvd.; and closing of the existing intersections at US-77 and Yankee Hill Road and at US-77 and Old Cheney Road. The work at the Warlick Interchange will include 1.06 miles of pavement reconstruction along Warlick Blvd./West Denton Road from Folsom Street to the Salt Creek Bridge. The work at the Pioneers Interchange will include 0.63 miles of pavement construction along Pioneers Blvd. from approximately 1000 feet west of Folsom Street to 300 feet west of South 1st Street.

Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

rte66man

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

roadman65

I saw that US 75 was closed yesterday between NE 8 and US 73. Had you detoured onto NE 8 WB using erroneous state shield detour signs, but stayed on it instead driving it westbound to Chester, NE before heading back into Kansas.  Only encountered two stoplights as two bridges were being replaced and temporary signals were installed at those two sites.  Otherwise wouldn’t have experienced any stoplights on NE 8.

I heard Nebraska typically uses horizontal signals like TX and NM uses, but would have never known it as the entire southern border counties were very rural with rolling hills of empty other than occasional corn crops.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SD Mapman

Quote from: roadman65 on September 13, 2023, 08:15:54 AM
I saw that US 75 was closed yesterday between NE 8 and US 73. Had you detoured onto NE 8 WB using erroneous state shield detour signs, but stayed on it instead driving it westbound to Chester, NE before heading back into Kansas.  Only encountered two stoplights as two bridges were being replaced and temporary signals were installed at those two sites.  Otherwise wouldn't have experienced any stoplights on NE 8.

I heard Nebraska typically uses horizontal signals like TX and NM uses, but would have never known it as the entire southern border counties were very rural with rolling hills of empty other than occasional corn crops.

If I remember right Falls City has the horizontal stoplights so there's that... some places they're switching to vertical signals.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

roadman65

I found this odd set up.  As usually Nebraska uses diagram junction signs, this is the typical other states way with the JCT header. 

I'm guessing it has to do with space limitations here as a diagram would be too big to use.

Sheryl Crowe

dvferyance

Quote from: roadman65 on September 13, 2023, 08:15:54 AM
I saw that US 75 was closed yesterday between NE 8 and US 73. Had you detoured onto NE 8 WB using erroneous state shield detour signs, but stayed on it instead driving it westbound to Chester, NE before heading back into Kansas.  Only encountered two stoplights as two bridges were being replaced and temporary signals were installed at those two sites.  Otherwise wouldn't have experienced any stoplights on NE 8.

The more populated areas in the east are vertical like Lincoln and Omaha but it is true out west it is all horizontal. Not sure about the areas east but away from I-80.

mrose

Lincoln was horizontal signals forever and ever until maybe the last 5-10 years or so. I haven't been back there and seen them in the years since, but I honestly have trouble picturing them any other way. That was always one of those things that reminded me I was there.

Stephane Dumas

The new US-77 Freemont bypass is now uploaded on GSV. https://maps.app.goo.gl/PYnoB7uF31snBAMu6

roadman65

I noticed that in the shield for Nebraska state routes, the covered wagons are not being pulled by horses. Instead it appears to be some sort of cattle instead of usual animals pulling those sort of buggies.

Does anyone know the reasoning to the history to the shield's design. Wiki says it's based on artist Robert Cochran back in the 20's to focus on the state's history, but Wiki is jot creditable as far as facts as it's made where anyone can post or repost and has no fact checkers to check the accuracy of its articles.

I think next to the Sunflower of Kansas, the Nebraska shield is quite interesting in design. I actually like the covered wagon on them as it's fitting for such a state in part of the Great Plains where those were the first transport vehicles prior to our autos of today.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on November 21, 2023, 08:02:37 AM
I noticed that in the shield for Nebraska state routes, the covered wagons are not being pulled by horses. Instead it appears to be some sort of cattle instead of usual animals pulling those sort of buggies.

Does anyone know the reasoning to the history to the shield's design. Wiki says it's based on artist Robert Cochran back in the 20's to focus on the state's history, but Wiki is jot creditable as far as facts as it's made where anyone can post or repost and has no fact checkers to check the accuracy of its articles.

I think next to the Sunflower of Kansas, the Nebraska shield is quite interesting in design. I actually like the covered wagon on them as it's fitting for such a state in part of the Great Plains where those were the first transport vehicles prior to our autos of today.
Surely you have heard of oxen?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

J N Winkler

Quote from: roadman65 on November 21, 2023, 08:02:37 AMI noticed that in the shield for Nebraska state routes, the covered wagons are not being pulled by horses. Instead it appears to be some sort of cattle instead of usual animals pulling those sort of buggies.

It is (as Rothman alludes) a Conestoga wagon being hauled by oxen, and reflects the fact that the Oregon/California Trail followed the Platte River for hundreds of miles in what is now Nebraska.

Quote from: roadman65 on November 21, 2023, 08:02:37 AMWiki says it's based on artist Robert Cochran back in the 20's to focus on the state's history, but Wiki is not creditable as far as facts as it's made where anyone can post or repost and has no fact checkers to check the accuracy of its articles.

Though he designed the pioneer wagon silhouette that has been used on the state route marker in some form since (IIRC) the 1920's, Cochran wasn't known primarily as an artist--he was chief engineer of the Department of Roads and Irrigation ("Department of Ruts and Irritation" to its detractors) and also, for a time, governor.

While Wikipedia does allow anyone to create an account and edit, and also permits anonymous (IP) edits, there is a degree of article curation and page patrolling, and it is generally trustworthy to the extent that information is cited to reliable sources.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on November 21, 2023, 09:19:27 AM

Or played video games in the late 80's where your little brother died of typhoid?

roadman65

Quote from: Rothman on November 21, 2023, 09:19:27 AM

I was going to say oxen, but felt more comfortable being more ambiguous just in case I'm wrong as some users ( not saying you) will love to point that out as we are AA Roads where users can get into the most heated arguments of any given topic.

Sheryl Crowe

J N Winkler

George Koster's internal history of the then Department of Roads (1997) notes that Cochran designed the pioneer wagon silhouette in 1926.  He had originally planned to use the Plains bison as the basis, but Manitoba got there first.

Cochran was also the longest-serving agency head (11 years and 4 months, from March 1923 to July 1934, and again for 11 months, from January to December 1959) as of 1997, when Koster wrote.  I suspect that record still stands.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

triplemultiplex

Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 21, 2023, 10:25:56 AM
Or played video games in the late 80's where your little brother died of typhoid?
Yeah clearly someone has never lost their oxen while crossing the Platte River. :-D
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Scott5114

Which wiki? AARoads Wiki has at least one roadgeek fact-checking everything newly posted.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

DandyDan

Quote from: roadman65 on September 18, 2023, 06:28:36 PM
I found this odd set up.  As usually Nebraska uses diagram junction signs, this is the typical other states way with the JCT header. 

I'm guessing it has to do with space limitations here as a diagram would be too big to use.

I was always of the belief the Nebraska diagramatic highway intersection sign was primarily for intersections in rural areas. Then again, I recall seeing some rural intersections without one, usually when a spur route is involved.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

74/171FAN

Possibly should be in the I-80 reroute thread..., but I am really only posting this for the erroneous thumbnail.

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.