News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 29, 2018, 12:32:41 PM
Today I was searching for a historic house in Upper Red Hook, New York named the "Lyle House" (which I still haven't found), when I stumbled upon this mysterious pull-off area on US 9 (Albany Post Road), next to Old Post Road:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/42°00'46.0%22N+73°53'15.0%22W/@42.0343217,-73.8474367,175m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d42.012778!4d-73.8875?hl=en

As expected, I have to ask why that exists.

Reminds me a similar area on NY 7: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7526776,-73.7223019,348m/data=!3m1!1e3
That one was explained as a "truck inspection area built before anyone knew how truck inspection area should look like"

xcellntbuy

Both pull-off ramps have existed as long as I remember.  In the case of US 9, at least 50+ years and the one on NY 7 has been there since the road opened in 1986.

Michael

I just saw an article from NewsChannel 9 that said that the westbound I-690 lanes near Teall Ave in Syracuse will be transitioned to the new road today.

webny99

Quote from: Michael on May 29, 2018, 05:19:18 PM
I just saw an article from NewsChannel 9 that said that the westbound I-690 lanes near Teall Ave in Syracuse will be transitioned to the new road today.

Forgive my ignorance... what's going on on I-690?
Didn't know of or see anything, so must be east of I-81.

Michael

The viaduct just west of Teall Ave is being replaced with a berm and retaining wall.  It's about 3/4 of a mile east of I-81.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/i690beechteall

D-Dey65

Quote from: webny99 on May 29, 2018, 12:46:19 PM
That link doesn't work (it searches "42" on Google Maps, for some reason).
Correct link.

Yeah, they do that to me a lot.

hotdogPi

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 31, 2018, 08:35:50 PM
Quote from: webny99 on May 29, 2018, 12:46:19 PM
That link doesn't work (it searches "42" on Google Maps, for some reason).
Correct link.

Yeah, they do that to me a lot.

I think it's the forum, not Google. It's caused by using a degree symbol as part of a link; if you use decimal degrees instead of degrees, minutes, and seconds, it will work fine.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

froggie

^ Largely because you're trying to post links that have special characters that the forum software doesn't recognize as part of a weblink.  There's ways around that, as webny99 showed, but posting raw Google Maps links as you tried just doesn't work.

Buffaboy

This afternoon I observed construction activity at I-90/Thruway exit 57 @ Camp Road. They are digging a trench to access utilities, striping the road, cones and construction vehicles are staged.

They are preparing to redo the interchange and tear down the bridge, bringing everything to grade. This is bittersweet because it's my "home" interchange, and waiting at a light for 30 seconds instead of taking a ramp will suck.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

AMLNet49

Quote from: Buffaboy on June 02, 2018, 04:29:55 PM
This afternoon I observed construction activity at I-90/Thruway exit 57 @ Camp Road. They are digging a trench to access utilities, striping the road, cones and construction vehicles are staged.

They are preparing to redo the interchange and tear down the bridge, bringing everything to grade. This is bittersweet because it's my "home" interchange, and waiting at a light for 30 seconds instead of taking a ramp will suck.

Is it an "overpowered"  interchange

Buffaboy

Quote from: AMLNet49 on June 02, 2018, 04:52:37 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on June 02, 2018, 04:29:55 PM

Is it an "overpowered"  interchange

Perhaps, but I think it's really just structurally deficient. There's holes in the substructure, you can see rebar in the bridge, etc.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Michael

I drove from Auburn to the Chick-fil-A in Cicero yesterday afternoon, and there were a few things I noticed:

• There's a new food service sign just before the Milton Ave exit on the NY 5 Camillus Bypass.  All six panels had signs, and I'm assuming they're all for Township 5.  I saw Red Robin, but I didn't pay that much attention since I was driving after all.

• There's a new sign for the NY 297 exit on I-690 on the NY 695 north to I-690 east ramp just after the bridge over State Fair Blvd.  It looks like this one on I-690, but with a distance of 1/2 mile.

• This sign has been replaced with one about half the size of the old one.  It's way too small for a freeway.

• The bridges on I-81 over US 11 in Mattydale have been redecked.  The construction can be seen in the latest Street View imagery (currently July 2017).  I only drove the northbound bridge, and the deck and Jersey barriers are blindingly bright white.  The longitudinal tining (boo, no more whistle) is super quiet.  The asphalt before and after the bridge was louder!

• The bridge from I-81 south to US 11 at the same exit was also redecked, and the rails were replaced.  The weird (and cool) thing is that they were replaced with the same type of rail.  The replacement must have happened within the past couple months since the steel was still shiny.  Since about 2010 or so, bridge rails like these have been replaced with ones like these.  I would think that the old rails are better since they were taller.

Roadgeek Adam

Add Interstate 84 in New York to the routes converted to the mileage numbers. Rather than make you guys go through the full plans:

1 = 1
2 = 4
3 E/W = 15 A/B
4 E/W = 19 A/B
5 = 28
5A = 32
6 = 34
7 A/B = 36 A/B
8 = 37
10 = 39
11 = 41
12 = 44
13 = 46 (A&B westbound)
15 = 50 (Lime Kiln Road getting CR 27 shields)
16 S/N = 52 A/B
17 = 58 (Ludingtonville Road getting CR 43 shields)
18 = 61
19 = 65
20 S/N = 68 A/B
21 = 69

https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/pls/portal/MEXIS_APP.BC_CONST_NOTICE_ADMIN.VIEWFILE?p_file_id=21436&p_is_digital=Y
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

cl94

This makes I-84 the first large-scale renumbering in New York. Possibly a test case for other conversions?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

seicer

Looks great but why the use of "I-XX" or "NYS XXX" on supplementary signs instead of their respective shields?

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on June 12, 2018, 07:30:25 PM
Add Interstate 84 in New York to the routes converted to the mileage numbers.
Awesome! Is this complete, or when is it scheduled to be done?

QuoteRather than make you guys go through the full plans:

Going through the plans is the fun part!
I really like the signage overall. Impressive. My only beef is the unwillingness to overlap signage for multiple exits. It seems foolish to have 2 mile advance signage for almost everything, including random county routes, but then only 3/4 mile advance signage for some of the exits that are actually important, like the westbound approach to I-684.

Speaking of 2 mile advance signs, when did NYSDOT start implementing them wholesale? Is this the first case of them being included as SOP at most exits? I like them, by the way, just curious as to what prompted NYSDOT to start using them.

Quote from: cl94 on June 12, 2018, 07:45:29 PM
This makes I-84 the first large-scale renumbering in New York. Possibly a test case for other conversions?

Are there plans for other conversions?
It seems likely that the thruway will be last... maybe I-390 next? or even I-81? I-190 would be an easy one, too; a bunch of the exit numbers could stay as-is through Niagara Falls.

I wonder if NYSDOT will replace/update all signage statewide when changing the exit numbers or if that's specific to the I-84 project.

Quote from: seicer on June 12, 2018, 09:07:40 PM
Looks great but why the use of "I-XX" or "NYS XXX" on supplementary signs instead of their respective shields?

Just my opinion, but shields don't look right on mileage signs. It's too imbalanced, especially if there are lengthy city names beneath. IIRC, the MUTCD has a word on the subject too.

shadyjay

For I-684, westbound, a 2-mile advance would likely fall within or pretty close to Connecticut.  It could be combined with an overhead for the westbound-only exit before (US 6/202/New Salem). 

I do notice this project includes 1/2 mile advances, which aren't too common in NY.  Everywhere I've seen (in rural areas), there's a 1 mile advance, and an exit now, sometimes two (one ground, one overhead).

I really can't stand the "TO NEW YORK CITY" and "TO BREWSTER" for the I-684 exit.  And the continuation of the "86 West 17 West", but only "17 East". 

seicer

The abrupt nature of the advance signs for interstates can extend to the rather abrupt signage for I-81 on I-88 southbound near Binghamton - which I think is now just a 1/2 mile guide sign with no guidance followed by the final guide sign around a curve.

GenExpwy

Add Interstate 84 in New York to the routes converted to the mileage numbers. Rather than make you guys go through the full plans:

1 = 1
2 = 4
3 E/W = 15 A/B
4 E/W = 19 A/B
5 = 28
5A = 32
6 = 34
7 A/B = 36 A/B
8 = 37
10 = 39
11 = 41
12 = 44
13 = 46 (A&B westbound)
16 S/N = 52 A/B
18 = 61
19 = 65
20 S/N = 68 A/B
21 = 69

https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/pls/portal/MEXIS_APP.BC_CONST_NOTICE_ADMIN.VIEWFILE?p_file_id=21436&p_is_digital=Y

What projects were exit numbers 9 and 14 reserved for?

Alps

Quote from: GenExpwy on June 13, 2018, 01:59:38 AM

1 = 1
2 = 4
3 E/W = 15 A/B
4 E/W = 19 A/B
5 = 28
5A = 32
6 = 34
7 A/B = 36 A/B
8 = 37
10 = 39
11 = 41
12 = 44
13 = 46 (A&B westbound)
16 S/N = 52 A/B
18 = 61
19 = 65
20 S/N = 68 A/B
21 = 69

What projects were exit numbers 9 and 14 reserved for?
EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_84_in_New_York#Exits_9_and_14

webny99

Quote from: shadyjay on June 12, 2018, 10:02:17 PM
For I-684, westbound, a 2-mile advance would likely fall within or pretty close to Connecticut.  It could be combined with an overhead for the westbound-only exit before (US 6/202/New Salem).

Exactly; why the reluctance to overlap signage with the previous exit?

QuoteI really can't stand the "TO NEW YORK CITY" and "TO BREWSTER" for the I-684 exit.  And the continuation of the "86 West 17 West", but only "17 East".

I groaned about the latter, but I guess it's forgivable at this point given the state of I-86.
The former is just downright disgusting - why they'd include an ugly and unnecessary "TO" for those destinations is beyond me. :banghead:

PHLBOS

Actually that exit's about 1 mile from the I-684/NY 22 interchange.

I do notice this project includes 1/2 mile advances, which aren't too common in NY.  Everywhere I've seen (in rural areas), there's a 1 mile advance, and an exit now, sometimes two (one ground, one overhead).
For some reason, there's always been limited advance-notice for the I-684 exit along westbound I-84 (& eastbound I-287 in White Plains).  Not sure why NYSDOT is/has always been reluctant to provide more advance signage for this interchange & highway. 

Quote from: shadyjay on June 12, 2018, 10:02:17 PMI really can't stand the "TO NEW YORK CITY" and "TO BREWSTER" for the I-684 exit.
The use of TO for such is indeed odd.  I guess whoever decided such want to clarify that neither I-684 & NY 22 actually enter/pass through those cities/towns.

Regarding exit/interchange number changes: could I-684 be next?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Flyer78

Quote from: webny99 on June 12, 2018, 09:26:00 PM
Are there plans for other conversions?
It seems likely that the thruway will be last... maybe I-390 next? or even I-81? I-190 would be an easy one, too; a bunch of the exit numbers could stay as-is through Niagara Falls.

I wonder if NYSDOT will replace/update all signage statewide when changing the exit numbers or if that's specific to the I-84 project.

For I-81, Region 9 has replaced some signs as part of the Prospect Mountain area. Region 3 (at least Cortland and Onondaga counties) has also replaced much of the guide signs as well in the last year or so, all with existing sequential numbers. Whenever they convert I-81, I don't think it will be part of a road-wide full sign replacement.

vdeane

Region 3 did Oswego too.  Most everything on I-81 in R3 is now new, and includes 2 mile advance signs in rural areas.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Duke87

The link to the plans for the I-84 project is 404ing to me.

I note looking through the numbers that NY is rounding all of the mileages down. The most extreme example is current exit 5A, at MP 32.99, which is becoming exit 32.
With the exception that they are not using exit 0. Exit 1, at MP 0.66, will remain exit 1.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.