Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: 3467 on February 11, 2019, 05:25:51 PM
It is easily googled it you actually care

Not if that's the lazy way you're going to present an argument.

Revive 755

As of today, there's a number of light poles missing in the median of I-90 west of the US 20/Hampshire interchange.  There's a few more missing west of the Kane/McHenry County line as well, but the missing cluster near Hampshire is really noticeable.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 11, 2019, 07:54:42 PM
Quote from: 3467 on February 11, 2019, 05:25:51 PM
It is easily googled it you actually care

Not if that's the lazy way you're going to present an argument.

God I love your responses sometimes.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

edwaleni

machias

Last night while driving on the Jane Addams I noticed along the "smart road"  section that the green LED down arrow signs were no longer lit, only the red "X"  signs over the shoulders. This was the first time I've seen this, but I rarely drive the Jane Addams at night. Is this something new?

SSOWorld

Quote from: upstatenyroads on March 03, 2019, 02:59:34 PM
Last night while driving on the Jane Addams I noticed along the "smart road"  section that the green LED down arrow signs were no longer lit, only the red "X"  signs over the shoulders. This was the first time I've seen this, but I rarely drive the Jane Addams at night. Is this something new?
That's the default configuration.  The arrows only show when there are lane blockages.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

JREwing78

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 02, 2019, 10:29:16 PM
As of today, there's a number of light poles missing in the median of I-90 west of the US 20/Hampshire interchange.  There's a few more missing west of the Kane/McHenry County line as well, but the missing cluster near Hampshire is really noticeable.

There's also a lot of lights that are just out in general. It's still head-and-shoulders a nicer drive than most rural freeways, but the brightness of most stretches makes the burned-out sections really obvious.

Revive 755

Quote from: SSOWorld on March 03, 2019, 08:25:40 PM
Quote from: upstatenyroads on March 03, 2019, 02:59:34 PM
That's the default configuration.  The arrows only show when there are lane blockages.

They will also use the arrows if there is something going on on the shoulder - the lane next to the shoulder will get a yellow arrow with 'caution' above the arrow, the other lanes will get green arrows.

Great Lakes Roads

Construction sequence of two major projects on the Tri-State Tollway (I-294)...

Mile-Long Bridge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGiMa-WsEpI

BSNF Railroad Bridge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hijnMKxkC_8

edwaleni

I know the Tollway isn't known for their creativity, but it would have been nice to differentiate the bridge over the S&SC just a little.

Yes materials science now allows them to use an extended high strength steel beam to extend the bridge distance, and it is probably the cheapest way, but must it always be so utilitarian?

You already took out the suspension bridge plans for the I-355 | Des Plaines River crossing years ago and defaulted to a generic design-build from Archer-Western.  Is there no room left for aesthetics?

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: edwaleni on March 06, 2019, 10:58:42 PM
I know the Tollway isn't known for their creativity, but it would have been nice to differentiate the bridge over the S&SC just a little.

Yes materials science now allows them to use an extended high strength steel beam to extend the bridge distance, and it is probably the cheapest way, but must it always be so utilitarian?

You already took out the suspension bridge plans for the I-355 | Des Plaines River crossing years ago and defaulted to a generic design-build from Archer-Western.  Is there no room left for aesthetics?
maybe they will. Some of bridges in elk grove have elks on them.

ET21

Mile long bridge will be fun to watch build over the years with my visits back home
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

quickshade

Quote from: ET21 on March 07, 2019, 09:53:58 AM
Mile long bridge will be fun to watch build over the years with my visits back home

Agreed, hoping they have a few earthcams on this, going to be fun to watch, but not so much to drive.

Great Lakes Roads

I-90 interchange with SR 23 is currently underway and will be done by the end of this year... super hyped up for a new connection to Marengo!!

https://patch.com/illinois/algonquin/i-90-interchange-project-mchenry-co-gets-started

Brandon

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on March 15, 2019, 06:03:04 AM
I-90 interchange with SR 23 is currently underway and will be done by the end of this year... super hyped up for a new connection to Marengo!!

https://patch.com/illinois/algonquin/i-90-interchange-project-mchenry-co-gets-started

With an idiotic 45 mph limit on I-90 through there.  Hey, ISTHA, did it ever occur to you to maintain speed through there using concrete barriers to separate traffic from the workers?  Other states (Wisconsin) do this with no issues.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

ET21

Quote from: Brandon on March 15, 2019, 10:09:05 AM

With an idiotic 45 mph limit on I-90 through there.  Hey, ISTHA, did it ever occur to you to maintain speed through there using concrete barriers to separate traffic from the workers?  Other states (Wisconsin) do this with no issues.

Like anyone in IL pays attention to speed limits anyways  :hmmm:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

dcharlie

I've always looked at speed limit signs in Illinois as being more of a suggestion, than something that should be followed...   :bigass:

kphoger

Quote from: dcharlie on March 15, 2019, 02:51:34 PM
I've always looked at speed limit signs in Illinois as being more of a suggestion, than something that should be followed...   :bigass:

I've literally had that conversation with my dad while I was driving on IL-13 at 15 over.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ilpt4u

I thought they were suggestions... :confused:

abefroman329

It wasn't always the case.

ilpt4u

Quote from: kphoger on March 15, 2019, 02:52:57 PM

I've literally had that conversation with my dad while I was driving on IL-13 at 15 over.
Only 15 over on IL 13? Traffic typically flows faster than that, well outside of in-town Marion and Carbondale, of course

Won't even comment on traffic flow speeds on the Chicagoland Expressways and Tollways, relative to speed limits

kphoger

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 15, 2019, 02:54:58 PM

Only 15 over on IL 13? Traffic typically flows faster than that, well outside of in-town Marion and Carbondale, of course

Won't even comment on traffic flow speeds on the Chicagoland Expressways and Tollways, relative to speed limits

Going 70 mph somewhere between Marion and Carbondale, signed at 55 mph.  East of Marion, I never really saw much traffic going more than 5 or 10 mph over the speed limit, and I drove that stretch pretty much every day.  People in southwestern Illinois seemed to drive faster than people in southeaster Illinois generally, though, probably about 5 mph faster in my experience.

As for Chicagoland, all that matters is that you keep it under 80, no matter what number is on those little white rectangle things.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ilpt4u

Quote from: kphoger on March 15, 2019, 03:04:14 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on March 15, 2019, 02:54:58 PM

Going 70 mph somewhere between Marion and Carbondale, signed at 55 mph.  East of Marion, I never really saw much traffic going more than 5 or 10 mph over the speed limit, and I drove that stretch pretty much every day.  People in southwestern Illinois seemed to drive faster than people in southeaster Illinois generally, though, probably about 5 mph faster in my experience.

As for Chicagoland, all that matters is that you keep it under 80, no matter what number is on those little white rectangle things.
East of Marion is signed for 65 now. One of the few non-freeway 65s I've seen across the state.

Traffic flows at about the same 70-75 over to Harrisburg...it just has a speed limit that is closer to the traffic speed

kphoger

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 15, 2019, 03:26:19 PM
East of Marion is signed for 65 now. One of the few non-freeway 65s I've seen across the state.

Traffic flows at about the same 70-75 over to Harrisburg...it just has a speed limit that is closer to the traffic speed

It was 65 back then too.  But, even on two-lane highways, I found that traffic in southwestern Illinois tended to drive around 60-75 mph (such as IL-13 or IL-154), whereas traffic in southeastern Illinois tended to drive around 55-65 mph (such as IL-1 or IL-34).  Because I generally drove around 68 mph, this was quite noticeable to me:  I kept having to pass people in southeastern Illinois but not in southwestern Illinois.  And that was still true even though I was often pressed for time on my route when in southwestern Illinois and therefore driving more like 70 mph.
Male pronouns, please.

Rick Powell

And thus will end McHenry County's status as (IIRC) the most populous county in the US without a direct interchange to an Interstate highway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.