Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dzlsabe

One EB exit and WB entrance at 87th exactly. So what is wrong with THAT "assertion"? Maybe eventually, a Brat Stop. :clap:
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dzlsabe on April 21, 2017, 12:07:26 PM
One exit and entrance at 87th exactly. So what is wrong with THAT "assertion"?

Because there is no proof that it would improve the neighborhood. 

dzlsabe

There is proof that NOT having them for FIFTY years is NOT improving the neighborhood.

What would WI do? They would have built a couple of roundabouts with gas, beer and cheese stores on every possible corner decades ago.

ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

ET21

Quote from: dzlsabe on April 21, 2017, 03:59:46 PM
There is proof that NOT having them for FIFTY years is NOT improving the neighborhood.

I'd love the link to the article stating that the absence of ramps is contributing to the degradation in the area :coffee: :coffee:

"Enlighten me O Great Sage"
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dzlsabe on April 21, 2017, 03:59:46 PM

There is also proof that not having extraterrestrials visit Chicago has not improved the neighborhood either.

Both are about as relevant. 

GeekJedi

Quote from: dzlsabe
What would WI do? They would have built a couple of roundabouts with gas, beer and cheese stores on every possible corner decades ago.

Wanna know what this and a certain never to be built expressway have in common? They're both figments of dzlsabe's imagination.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

dzlsabe

Quote from: GeekJedi on April 21, 2017, 10:21:08 PM

Wanna know what this and a certain never to be built expressway have in common? They're both figments of dzlsabe's imagination.

Everything was/is a figment of someones imagination df. Knife, wheel, beer, sausage, cheese, bicycles, aeroplanes, Is-41 & 43....until it actually happens.

ILRoad55

Quote from: dzlsabe on April 21, 2017, 11:37:11 PM
Quote from: GeekJedi on April 21, 2017, 10:21:08 PM

Everything was/is a figment of someones imagination df. Knife, wheel, beer, sausage, cheese, bicycles, aeroplanes, Is-41 & 43....until it actually happens.
Stereotypically (rude) now? Okay, I can see where this thread will go.

How about we actually talk about existing Tollways and (officially) proposed ideas.

quickshade

QuoteThe Illinois Tollway will host a series of open house meetings as part of the agency's ongoing work to plan for improvements to the Central Tri-State Tollway (I-294).

Monday, April 24, 6-8 p.m. — Hinsdale Oasis, Tri-State Tollway (I-294)
Tuesday, April 25, 6-8 p.m. — Lipinski Community Center, 7256 Skyline Dr., Justice
Wednesday, April 26, 6-8 p.m. — O'Hare Oasis, Tri-State Tollway (I-294)

As part of the 15-year, $12 billion Move Illinois capital program, the Tollway is developing a plan to determine improvements to be included in the reconstruction of the Central Tri-State Tollway (I-294) between 95th Street and Balmoral Avenue.
This is the only remaining segments of the original Tollway system constructed in the 1950s that has not been improved and modernized to meet current and future transportation needs.

Getting back on topic, anyone going to any of these?

Rick Powell

Quote from: quickshade on April 22, 2017, 12:23:57 PM

I will be at the one at Hinsdale Oasis Monday, probably between 6-7 pm.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Rick Powell on April 22, 2017, 02:40:58 PM
Quote from: quickshade on April 22, 2017, 12:23:57 PM

I will be at the one at Hinsdale Oasis Monday, probably between 6-7 pm.
So much for "Public Information Meetings" being free of charge </sarcasmMode>
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

tribar

The gas pumps were shutdown at O'Hare Oasis this morning.

dzlsabe

QuoteAs part of the 15-year, $12 billion Move (out of) Illinois capital program, the Tollway is developing a plan to determine improvements to be included in the reconstruction of the Central Tri-State Tollway (I-294) between 95th Street and Balmoral Avenue.
This is the ONLY remaining segments of the original Tollway system constructed in the 1950s that has not been improved and modernized to meet current and future transportation needs.

So it has not been improved and modernized since the '50s? And NOW youre on it? Thinking about "future transportation needs"? Hillarryous. When will you retire?

https://www.illinoistollway.com/projects/capital-programs

My fav line...Planning studies for the Illinois Route 53/120 Project and "other emerging projects."
WHAT OTHER EMERGING PROJECTS??? :pan: Pray tell.

"This page left blank intentionally" :rofl:

ILRoad55

Hey you spelled hilarious wrong.

And those other emerging projects,

I-88 east of York Road. That's actually all I can think of. Where else does the tollway system actually need to be redone?

tribar

Quote from: ILRoad55 on April 23, 2017, 03:13:05 PM

I-88 east of York Road. That's actually all I can think of. Where else does the tollway system actually need to be redone?

Edens Spur.

ET21

Maybe the 294/80 split? Couple of those ramps are awkward for trucks
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: ET21 on April 23, 2017, 07:42:16 PM

Maybe the 294/80 split? Couple of those ramps are awkward for trucks

well the new I-57 ramps do take load off that spilt.

Henry

FWIW, I like the Skyway as it is. Adding exits would not be a bad idea, though I'd make them so that you couldn't get off until you paid a toll.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

I-39

Getting back on track, is anyone going to the Central Tri-State rebuild meetings? If so, what was said and where can we find planning documents (up to date ones from this year. New ones haven't been posted since January 2016 on the Tollway website)?

dzlsabe

Quote from: Henry on April 24, 2017, 09:53:27 AM
FWIW, I like the Skyway as it is. Adding exits would not be a bad idea, though I'd make them so that you couldn't get off until you paid a toll.

How much would be "fair", your royal tightness? 50 cents? One would not be going over the bridge, remember. Other than the Skyway bridge there are NO tolls in Chicago.

As to the Tri-state widening...

"Aimee Lee, the Tollway's senior manager of strategic planning and programming, warned that congestion on the Tri-State will get much worse without widening in the next two decades. Travel time on southbound central I-294 during the morning rush hour, for example, could grow from 24 minutes to an hour by 2040, Lee said."

She warned. WHAT IF (I realize Im steppin out on huge limb here, as road planning around here is spot on) widening the Tri-state (and the Ike) the "HOVing hootenanny" just does not live up to "strategic planning" expectations??? In ten years?

Kinda begs that "maybe build something 4 times the length of Edens Spur" question, does it not, Aimee? :pan:

ChiMilNet

It looks like the Tollway is going all in on widening the Central Portion of I-294. From what I am reading, it seems a lot of the construction will mirror what was done with I-90. I know there is a lot community opposition, but this is badly needed in this stretch, and I am glad that there is serious consideration being given to upgrades at the I-55 and I-88/I-290 interchanges along this stretch. From the article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-tollway-294-construction-0425-20170424-story.html

QuoteThe 22-mile stretch – from Balmoral Avenue near O'Hare International Airport to 95th Street in Bridgeview – is the Tollway's heaviest-traveled section, which sees 155,000 vehicles daily. It is currently four lanes each direction. The new rebuilding and widening plan, an expansion from an earlier $1.9 billion plan to just rebuild the existing road, would add a lane in each direction and use "flex lanes" on the inside shoulder for buses and emergency vehicles. Tollway staff said the expanded project could be done without raising tolls, through improved toll collection and lower debt service on bonds.

paulthemapguy

Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

tribar

They were talking about this on the news tonight. 

Few things:

The Tri State was built in 1958.  It precedes almost everyone who lives near it. Stop complaining that you might lose land and that it might be too loud. You knew it was there before you moved there. It's already loud with the amount of cars and trucks that use it and the tollway would put up sound barriers. Suck it up or move. Don't ruin it for the millions who use it.

It sounds like they really are going all out in this.  HOV lanes, flex lanes etc. This will be a treat to drive when completed. I only hope they don't make it completely cashless, as doing that with the heaviest traveled area on the system is asinine.

They mentioned on the news that the Hinsdale Oasis will be demolished and that only the gas stations will remain. I wish they would find a way to keep these in place. Does anyone know the fate of the O'Hare Oasis?

Joe The Dragon

Redesigning the I-290 Interchange can help reduce interstate and local road delays
Improving I-55 Interchange will help reduce congestion on the Tri-State Tollway

seems to say that they will go all out with I-290 that better also deal with the I-88 parts as well.

I-55 just smaller stuff?

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: tribar on April 24, 2017, 10:52:11 PM
They were talking about this on the news tonight. 

Few things:

The Tri State was built in 1958.  It precedes almost everyone who lives near it. Stop complaining that you might lose land and that it might be too loud. You knew it was there before you moved there. It's already loud with the amount of cars and trucks that use it and the tollway would put up sound barriers. Suck it up or move. Don't ruin it for the millions who use it.

It sounds like they really are going all out in this.  HOV lanes, flex lanes etc. This will be a treat to drive when completed. I only hope they don't make it completely cashless, as doing that with the heaviest traveled area on the system is asinine.

They mentioned on the news that the Hinsdale Oasis will be demolished and that only the gas stations will remain. I wish they would find a way to keep these in place. Does anyone know the fate of the O'Hare Oasis?

what channel?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.