The Covered Bridges of Lyndon, VT - May 9, 2015

Started by froggie, March 17, 2015, 08:44:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which weekend works best for you for a Lyndonville, VT mini-meet?

May 9-10
May 23-24
May 30-31
June 6-7
June 13-14
June 20th (Saturday only)

froggie

I've decided on May 9th (had the most votes, and the least impact to those who are interested but also going to Denver).  I've updated the original post to reflect things.  Any comments or suggestions, please fire away.

oscar

See ya there on the 9th.

Any thoughts on when the meet tour will wrap up? One option for me is to cross into Quebec after the meet and stay overnight in Sherbrooke before continuing my journey. But I want to allow ample time for the border crossing, given my history as a magnet for vehicle searches.

I like the option in your revised OP, for a side trip to a wind farm.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

froggie

When we wrap up depends heavily on what and how many optional trips we take.  We could realistically do all 5 covered bridges in just over an hour, especially if we begin the meet next to one.

I wouldn't worry about the border crossing.  It's only 80 miles from Lyndonville to Sherbrooke, and it's all Interstate/Autoroute.  Even if you get delayed an hour at the border, you'll be in Sherbrooke in less than 2.5 hours.

Dougtone

Count me in.

I would've suggested a drive up the Burke Mountain Auto Road, but it doesn't open until Memorial Day weekend, I believe.

froggie

I'd already inquired with Burke about the toll road, but they have no idea when they'll be able to get it open.  Best guess right now is late May.  The snows we've had overnights this week haven't helped any (they had 3" last night).

adamjackson

On May 9th, I'll still be doing my euro-trip so I can't make it. So sorry!

I'm a project manager for North America and other regions for TomTom!

Tell us about map changes you observe on Map Share Reporter
http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

vdeane

Going.  I had been planning to clinch I-91 in VT on the way home but changed my mind.  Now I'm staying in Littleton and will drive down I-93 before heading back to Albany.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Duke87

I'm going to bow out of this. I am seeking to do a VT/NH trip with my girlfriend on a future weekend when she's free, though.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

bob7374

I'm leaning toward going. Though with the recent VT weather, hope its still a covered bridge meet and not a snow covered road meet.

Dougtone

Quote from: bob7374 on April 26, 2015, 10:19:31 PM
I'm leaning toward going. Though with the recent VT weather, hope its still a covered bridge meet and not a snow covered road meet.
Doesn't look like it would be a snow covered road meet by looking at the forecast.

froggie

No, in fact there's almost no snow left up on Stannard Mtn, and Burke is looking close to bare now too.

bob7374

Yes, the weather looks quite summery, so I am happy to go and be able to leave my boots at home. The trip up will give me a chance to clinch I-93 in NH and VT (and therefore in its entirety) as well as document the progress of sign replacement projects along I-95/MA 128.

froggie

So far, looks like Doug, Bob, Val, and Oscar.  Anyone else I'm missing?  I've created a pamphlet on the bridges and need to know how many to print.

oscar

Here are two group photos from yesterday's meet.

This first one is at the north end of the Millers Run Bridge in Lyndonville, on Center Street just south of the park-and-ride off VT 122. This bridge is open to auto traffic; some of the others we visited are pedestrian-only. From left to right: Doug Kerr (NY), Valerie Deane (NY), Bob Malme (MA), Adam Froehlig (VT - meet host), Oscar Voss (VA).

Here we are, on a side trip after our covered bridges tour, on the beach at the north end of Lake Willoughby near the junction of VT 5A and VT 16 about 20 miles north of Lyndonville.

Many thanks to froggie for organizing a very interesting tour.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

froggie

Thanks to Oscar, Doug, Val and Bob for coming.  Was a great afternoon, even if the weather was so-so.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.