News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Rhode Island News

Started by southshore720, April 21, 2015, 05:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted$8roadFan

Great Lakes Roads

The Ghostbuster

They might as well demolish and reconstruct the existing bridge. We wouldn't want a repeat of what happened to the Interstate 35W bridge in Minneapolis in 2007 to happen in Providence: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-35W_Mississippi_River_bridge.

Ted$8roadFan

It's quite a leap from the Washington Bridge being OK in July to needing complete replacement in January.

southshore720

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 22, 2024, 07:22:10 PM
They might as well demolish and reconstruct the existing bridge. We wouldn't want a repeat of what happened to the Interstate 35W bridge in Minneapolis in 2007 to happen in Providence: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-35W_Mississippi_River_bridge.
I agree - hopefully they can fast track with some Federal funding.  Unfortunately, it is going to take longer because they're going to have to mimic the architecture of the twin bridge.  It's not going to be a simple flat beam bridge across.  (Well, it technically could be, but it would look strange.)

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: southshore720 on January 24, 2024, 11:43:36 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 22, 2024, 07:22:10 PM
I agree - hopefully they can fast track with some Federal funding.  Unfortunately, it is going to take longer because they're going to have to mimic the architecture of the twin bridge.  It's not going to be a simple flat beam bridge across.  (Well, it technically could be, but it would look strange.)

Since the bridge is regionally significant as the only real way to and from Providence from the East Bayt/SE Mass, it should be replaced as quickly as possible. The current band aids aren't sustainable. Of course, this being Rhode Island, replacing the bridge will be anything but easy or cheap (likely to be quite the opposite).

Ted$8roadFan

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: vdeane on June 10, 2023, 03:03:01 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on June 10, 2023, 11:56:58 AM
I went through the newly still-under-construction Newport-side approaches today. The signage for RI-138 East from the new access road is confusing...if it's not an error, it's almost as if the State wants drivers to use Connell/Coddington to get to RI-114 instead of Admiral Kalbfus.  Getting to the bridge isn't any better, with no clear signage. I'm sure it wil change before too long.
Who knows, they might.  There will need to be some work with the route designations regardless due to RI 138A and RI 238, so who knows what they have planned.  Google Maps seems to be convinced that something will happen there July 10, so maybe we'll know then.

Circling back to this discussion, I drove through Newport yesterday. More work has been completed; the old outdated ramp from the Pell Bridge eastbound into Newport that always backed up in the summer has been dismantled and there are now two left turn lanes for those heading into Newport from the bridge. The old freeway stub continues to be taken apart piece by piece.

As for the left turn for RI-138 on Admiral Kalbfus (even though RI-138 actually turns right), the former is signed as "Truck Route" which kind of makes sense. JT Connell/Coddington can be congested with all of the traffic heading into and out of the shopping center, as well as those seeking to avoid West Main Road as much as possible.

SectorZ

https://www.eastbayri.com/stories/mt-hope-bridge-ban-bewilders-bikers,113028

This was a strange bit of two state agencies not coordinating stuff.  RI Turnpike and Bridge Authority operates the Mt Hope bridge. RIDOT has always signed the bridge as no pedestrians, but has share the road signage for bikes. Even the state bicycle maps (last updated in 2020) state the bridge is bikes permitted. This summer, RITBA slaps up no bike signs. They not only claim they're not allowed, but have never been allowed.

It is certainly not the safest thing to cycle across. I've done it once in my life (each way in a single ride). It must suck though to live down there and cycle, because there are 4 bridges, and now only 1 allows cyclist, and that one is a sidewalk (not plowed for snow in the winter) over to Tiverton along RI 24.

vdeane

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on February 04, 2024, 06:30:04 AM
I went through the newly still-under-construction Newport-side approaches today. The signage for RI-138 East from the new access road is confusing...if it's not an error, it's almost as if the State wants drivers to use Connell/Coddington to get to RI-114 instead of Admiral Kalbfus.  Getting to the bridge isn't any better, with no clear signage. I'm sure it wil change before too long.
Who knows, they might.  There will need to be some work with the route designations regardless due to RI 138A and RI 238, so who knows what they have planned.  Google Maps seems to be convinced that something will happen there July 10, so maybe we'll know then.

Circling back to this discussion, I drove through Newport yesterday. More work has been completed; the old outdated ramp from the Pell Bridge eastbound into Newport that always backed up in the summer has been dismantled and there are now two left turn lanes for those heading into Newport from the bridge. The old freeway stub continues to be taken apart piece by piece.

As for the left turn for RI-138 on Admiral Kalbfus (even though RI-138 actually turns right), the former is signed as "Truck Route" which kind of makes sense. JT Connell/Coddington can be congested with all of the traffic heading into and out of the shopping center, as well as those seeking to avoid West Main Road as much as possible.
Yeah, it's a mess.  That sign coming from the bridge is the only one saying RI 138 goes that way; everything else still shows it going the way it always has.  RI 138A is harder to pin down, but if we assume that all signs that have or lack a TO banner are correct, it appears to end at the roundabout.  RI 238 isn't signed around here at all; it it even still around?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on February 04, 2024, 04:04:47 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on February 04, 2024, 06:30:04 AM

Yeah, it's a mess.  That sign coming from the bridge is the only one saying RI 138 goes that way; everything else still shows it going the way it always has.  RI 138A is harder to pin down, but if we assume that all signs that have or lack a TO banner are correct, it appears to end at the roundabout.  RI 238 isn't signed around here at all; it it even still around?
RI 238 is still around, was never really signed well.

Ted$8roadFan

Meanwhile, the state is making progress on completing the critical I-95/RI-4 interchange

https://news.yahoo.com/ri-lands-81m-grant-build-230040548.html

kernals12

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on February 06, 2024, 05:57:15 AM
Meanwhile, the state is making progress on completing the critical I-95/RI-4 interchange

It's remarkable how Rhode Island is able to actually follow through on its highway improvement promises, unlike Massachusetts.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: kernals12 on February 06, 2024, 08:32:47 AM

It's remarkable how Rhode Island is able to actually follow through on its highway improvement promises, unlike Massachusetts.

It helps that this project would benefit the Quonset area, one of the few true economic bright spots in the state.

southshore720

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on February 06, 2024, 09:16:14 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on February 06, 2024, 08:32:47 AM

It helps that this project would benefit the Quonset area, one of the few true economic bright spots in the state.
Maybe we will see the other end of Route 4 finally have those horrible traffic lights removed in favor of overpasses.  If they can do it on Route 146, they can do it on Route 4!

The Ghostbuster

I think it was local and environmental opposition that has prevented the signaled intersections on RI 4 from being converted to interchanges. As for the Interstate 95/RI 4 interchange upgrade, it appears the existing 95S-to-4S exit ramp will remain on the left-hand side. If the DOT wanted to move it to the right-hand side, there appears to be enough right-of-way to do it easily.

Ted$8roadFan

I think it would be more environmental than local, although I'm sure many in North Kingstown would be against it. Every so often in the local paper, there are complains from nearby residents who complain about trucks using their jake brakes as they slow at the signals. Many also complain that it can take quite a long time to get on to RI-4 at the signals, especially at Allenton Road (I can confirm). They also note that the state bought some houses in preparation for an expressway but that nothing happened. Under these circumstances, the community could conceivably support an extension of the highway that would remove the signals. Of course, that leaves the environmental objections which we know will surface, as well as the Shady Lea historic district which has the luck of being at the very end of RI-4 and US-1.

spooky

Those ramps are long overdue. They acquired land and demolished houses 25+ years ago. It's been so long that the bridge they built over Lafayette Road to support the highway extension has already been rebuilt!

Ted$8roadFan

Meanwhile, the Washington Bridge debacle continues:

https://www.wpri.com/traffic/i-195-washington-bridge-closure/washington-bridge-oversight-hearing-slated-for-next-week/

The City of East Providence has also been quite vocal about the toll the closure and detours have had on their community.

cockroachking

Quote from: spooky on February 07, 2024, 02:04:08 PM
Those ramps are long overdue. They acquired land and demolished houses 25+ years ago. It's been so long that the bridge they built over Lafayette Road to support the highway extension has already been rebuilt!
Something about those concrete bridges from the early 90s. The bridge carrying US-9 over the Wappinger Creek in NY was replaced (everything except the piers) this past summer due to premature deterioration. It was built in 1991 and was in "poor" condition only about 30 years later...

Ted$8roadFan

Great Lakes Roads

Yeesh, that's going to be a white-knuckle experience!  :verymad:

Alps

Ted$8roadFan

The Ghostbuster

Even though it would be the most expensive option, they probably should construct a new bridge in the westbound direction. After 55 years of service, simply repairing the bridge may not be enough to keep the bridge in use.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.