News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

No Passing Zone Pennants

Started by Brandon, April 03, 2014, 01:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Hog

Quote from: bugo on April 04, 2014, 03:27:29 AM
Quote from: Brandon on April 03, 2014, 01:04:34 PM
No pennants, uses "Do Not Pass" and "Pass With Care" signage:

Arkansas sometimes uses these signs.

As does Texas, normally in construction areas where there is no striping. Sometimes these signs get left up after the work is completed.

I remember seeing pennants on US 1 in Florida on the way to Key West.

US71

Pennants are rare in Arkansas. Do Not Pass signs are common, Pass with Care are less common.  IIRC, Illinois uses the pennants to supplement Do Not Pass which are commonly followed by Pass With Care
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Brandon

Quote from: US71 on April 04, 2014, 09:46:05 AM

Pennants are rare in Arkansas. Do Not Pass signs are common, Pass with Care are less common.  IIRC, Illinois uses the pennants to supplement Do Not Pass which are commonly followed by Pass With Care

Do Not Pass and Pass With Care are very rare for IDOT, at least in Districts 1 through 6.  They are, however, common on some county highways (Will, for example, uses them).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jakeroot

Washington uses "No passing zone" pennants, but not all the time, only when there's an apparent reason to provide additional reminders, such as where they've had head on collisions or something. I'll update this post once I remember where they hide.

roadman

Quote from: PurdueBill on April 03, 2014, 11:27:05 PM
Much older NO PASSING white signs, in the old font, lasted into the 80s maybe in decent numbers but are very rare anymore.

Essex County, which comprised the original MassDPW District 5, remained largely stuck in the dark ages when it came to warning and regulatory signs on state maintained highways well into the 1980s.  Once the county became part of District 4 instead as part of the 1992 MassHighway district reorganization, most of those outdated signs were replaced fairly quickly.  However, to this day, some of the old signing still remains in places.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bandit957

I was born in 1973, and I vaguely remember an era when the pennants did not exist yet in Kentucky. Back then, we had the DO NOT PASS/PASS WITH CARE signs. Sometimes I'll see DO NOT PASS/PASS WITH CARE in another state, and I'll say, "What is this? The '70s?"
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

It seems like Kentucky switched to the pennants around the same time it started using the wider shields for 3 or 4 digit route numbers.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bugo

Quote from: US71 on April 04, 2014, 09:46:05 AM

They're all over US 59-270 from the Oklahoma line to Acorn.  This is the only Arkansas highway I travel very often, so I don't know about other area roads.

PurdueBill

Quote from: roadman on April 04, 2014, 07:12:14 PM
Quote from: PurdueBill on April 03, 2014, 11:27:05 PM
Much older NO PASSING white signs, in the old font, lasted into the 80s maybe in decent numbers but are very rare anymore.

Essex County, which comprised the original MassDPW District 5, remained largely stuck in the dark ages when it came to warning and regulatory signs on state maintained highways well into the 1980s.  Once the county became part of District 4 instead as part of the 1992 MassHighway district reorganization, most of those outdated signs were replaced fairly quickly.  However, to this day, some of the old signing still remains in places.

That's where I grew up....I recall lots of old signs, especially in places like Topsfield on US 1, back then.  If only I were old enough to drive myself around then and had gotten pictures....

Steve's MA 40 page has an example of an old NO PASSING sign in the old DPW style.  Not many of those left out there anymore.

vtk

Now that I think about it, PASS WITH CARE probably shouldn't be in regulatory colors and/or shouldn't be phrased that way. Unless of course the pass maneuver is compulsory.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

roadfro

Driving in Tennessee last weekend, I noticed that TDOT does not use the No Passing Zone pennant on its roads.  That's something I also noticed in California as well.  So far, I have come up with a very short list of states using them (on the DOT level - counties and municipalities may vary):

No pennants, relies solely on paint:
<...>
Nevada

Although I am not aware of the existence of any pennants currently, I have seen them in the past in areas I believe NDOT wanted to call extra attention to the painted lines.

Where I can recall seeing them was on one or two sections of Alt US 50 between Fallon and Fernley in the early 2000s. This was a busy two-lane section where you might be stuck behind some trucks or a long line for some time, and I think the pennants were used in sections that tended to have more passing accidents or greater likelihood of non-compliance with the painted double yellow lines. The pennants were accompanied by both the "do not pass" and "pass with care" signs. That stretch of Alt 50 was slowly upgraded two divided highway in the mid-2000s, and I haven't seen any pennants in Nevada since then.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Milepost61

Driving in Tennessee last weekend, I noticed that TDOT does not use the No Passing Zone pennant on its roads.  That's something I also noticed in California as well.  So far, I have come up with a very short list of states using them (on the DOT level - counties and municipalities may vary):

Pennants:
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Wisconsin
South Dakota
Nebraska
Kansas
New Hampshire
Pennsylvania*
Wyoming
Arizona
Utah

Add Minnesota to this list. Mn/DOT is very good about using the pennant. And it's a larger version than usually used, making it even easier to see.

talllguy

Looks like Maryland uses black on white DO NOT PASS and PASS WITH CARE along with the NO PASSING ZONE pennant. I cannot think of any local roads with them though, off hand. I know quite a few with just pavement marking.

txstateends

Quote from: Road Hog on April 04, 2014, 08:44:44 AM

As does Texas, normally in construction areas where there is no striping. Sometimes these signs get left up after the work is completed.

I remember seeing a few PASS WITH CARE signs in the 1970s and maybe into the 1980s in a few places around TX.  Not as much now, unless in the case of Road Hog's post, when new paving is finished but not yet striped.

For a short while somewhere in TX, the early 1980s I think, there were some pennants I saw used.  Maybe they were a tryout, or drivers didn't get the hang of them; could have also been the district(s) that did have them thought it was too much to fool with.  By the mid-late 1980s I didn't see any more.  The only other place I've seen them was in IA.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

froggie

QuotePennsylvania uses NO PASSING ZONE pennants, too–I can't guarantee it's absolutely 100% of the time, but close to it.

It's definitely not 100% of the time.  In my (mostly eastern PA) experience, I'd go so far as to say they're uncommon.  Not rare, but not normal either.

DaBigE

Yep, the pennant has been standard in Wisconsin for as long as I can remember (now with fluorescent yellow sheeting), however I have seen the regulatory DO NOT PASS and PASS WITH CARE sprinkled about the state (mainly in the SE region, Milwaukee and Waukesha counties especially).

I'm a little surprised to see any snow-belt states rely solely on paint.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Big John

Quote from: DaBigE on April 05, 2014, 07:46:31 PM
Yep, the pennant has been standard in Wisconsin for as long as I can remember (now with fluorescent yellow sheeting), however I have seen the regulatory DO NOT PASS and PASS WITH CARE sprinkled about the state (mainly in the SE region, Milwaukee and Waukesha counties especially).

I'm a little surprised to see any snow-belt states rely solely on paint.
The DO NOT PASS and PASS WITH CARE signs were standard in WI until the early 1980s.

andy

In addition to the pennants, Indiana uses three small round white reflectors above eye level instead of the pass with care signs at the start of a passing zone.  I did not see any of those when I was in Ky this morning.

cjk374

Louisiana uses the pennant regularly as well as DO NOT PASS/PASS WITH CARE signs.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Bitmapped

Quote from: froggie on April 05, 2014, 07:17:06 PM
QuotePennsylvania uses NO PASSING ZONE pennants, too–I can't guarantee it's absolutely 100% of the time, but close to it.

It's definitely not 100% of the time.  In my (mostly eastern PA) experience, I'd go so far as to say they're uncommon.  Not rare, but not normal either.

They're generally pretty infrequent in SW PA, too.  It seems like I see them more in NW and northern PA.  They tend to be more common along major through routes.

mcdonaat

JCinSummerfield

In addition to using them in tandem with DO NOT PASS, Michigan will also use the NO PASSING ZONE with yellow diamond curve and intersection warnings.

doogie1303

Pennants:
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Wisconsin
South Dakota
Nebraska
Kansas
New Hampshire
Pennsylvania*
Wyoming
Arizona
Utah

Rhode Island also uses them, sporadically. For instance, on one section of RI 2 near me, there were several passing zones in a mile where RIDOT uses the pennant at the end of every passing zone in each direction (I counted about 8 of them both sides within a mile of road). The next mile down the road, again several passing zones, no pennants at all. Most of the pennants look pretty old and faded, so something tells me RIDOT really isn't bothering to replace them when they taken out or stolen.

I've also seen sections of road where there was no passing zone change (solid yellows the whole way) yet there was a random pennant, makes me believe there was once a passing zone, but they took it out (painted solids) and never took down the sign.

Revive 755

No pennants, relies solely on paint:
Tennessee
Missouri

IIRC, Missouri did have the pennants on the two lane section of US 61 between the spur to US 136 and the freeway section near Canton before that section was upgraded and widened - I think it may have been due to safety issues on that section.

I also recall Missouri having little arrow signs along their roads to indicate the change from passing to no passing for the striping crews.  I don't believe those signs are installed anymore.

froggie

Going back to the OP, I'd annotate that Mississippi doesn't use them under normal circumstances, but they will use the pennant plus "DO NOT PASS" and "PASS WITH CARE" signs during construction projects involving repaving.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.