News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The 1-2-3 Road Sign CHALLENGE!!

Started by paulthemapguy, April 12, 2016, 10:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: Zeffy on April 17, 2016, 11:58:20 AM
I don't have any large collections of sign photos, so I'm going to use photos from Steve Alp's site (all credit to him):

Last time I checked, it never said the photo had to be yours. If it does, well I guess I can't participate.

Well, I think we're up to 58 now, actually.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SignGeek101

Provincial Trunk Highway 59 at Perimeter Hwy (PTH 101) Westbound Exit
by Sign Geek, on Flickr

Used to be on a gantry, but is now ground mounted as there's construction of a new interchange.

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: SignGeek101 on April 17, 2016, 12:12:25 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on April 17, 2016, 11:58:20 AM
I don't have any large collections of sign photos, so I'm going to use photos from Steve Alp's site (all credit to him):

Last time I checked, it never said the photo had to be yours. If it does, well I guess I can't participate.

I know I'm being anal about this, but everything you need to know is in the OP. You can post my pictures if you want, I don't mind (nothing against the rules). I have a 58 picture if you want to participate.

55 was already posted above by Vdeane. I only have 2 pictures of American highway signs.

Next number should be 58.

He brings up a good point. Are we allowed to use photos that aren't ours?
I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

Ian

Quote from: jbnv on April 17, 2016, 11:44:44 AM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on April 16, 2016, 10:05:37 PM
Not to be a jerk, but...

Quote from: paulthemapguy on April 12, 2016, 10:36:50 PM
The challenge is to post a road sign photo (actual image, no GSV)

Quote from: kphoger on April 16, 2016, 10:40:57 PM
Yes, will the owner of an actual 55 photo please respond?

So those of us who don't have extensive collections of signs aren't allowed to participate. I'd say that's jerky.

Anyone can go find a numbered route on Google and link a street view of the first shield they find. It is the road sign challenge.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

paulthemapguy

Post whatever photos you want!  They dont have to be taken by your camera lol. Though this would be a great chance to show off your photos if you got 'em.  I didn't want the rules to be too stringent- I just added the +10 rule and no-GSV rule because otherwise it would be too easy.  If I didn't say the rule in the OP, then it isn't a rule!  I'm already ranting in another thread about how people have made up too many rules there.  *insert Outback Steakhouse joke here*

Oh and here's a 60:

(look above picture for updates on rules (or lack thereof))
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

jeffandnicole

I hope not. Otherwise we got a bit of an issue with 37 & 39!!!

paulthemapguy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 17, 2016, 12:34:57 PM

To clarify, you may use photos you didn't take yourself. That's totally okay
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: paulthemapguy on April 17, 2016, 12:46:12 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 17, 2016, 12:34:57 PM

Oh yeah...I hope SO would've made more sense than I hope not!!! Lol

jbnv

Then my 55 picture is valid. I didn't take the source picture, but I sampled it and hosted it in my own Flickr account.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Zeffy

Again, from Alps' site:

(And this time it's in sequence...)
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

kphoger

Quote from: jbnv on April 17, 2016, 01:01:19 PM

Then my 55 picture is valid. I didn't take the source picture, but I sampled it and hosted it in my own Flickr account.

So are you saying the picture wasn't Google Street View?  Because GSV was specifically excluded in the second sentence of the OP, meaning such a picture is not valid.  If it wasn't GSV, then we all owe you an apology.  But I was also certain the picture was simply snipped from GSV, in which case it should not have been submitted.

Quote from: paulthemapguy on April 12, 2016, 10:36:50 PM
(actual image, no GSV)

And, for the record, I do not "have extensive collections of signs" either.  In fact, I'm basically "out" until this challenge reaches the 80s, as I don't have any sign photos between the 50s and the 80s and I don't feel like Google image searching just to post someone else's picture on this thread.  I have participated as I've been able so far and enjoy seeing what other people are contributing.  BUT, as has been mentioned, anyone can just hop on Google Maps and snip a route shield into a photo hosting site; that's not a challenge, and that's not this challenge.  I've got plenty of those images saved online I could pull from (they served a purpose in some discussion or another years ago and I'm too lazy to delete them), but a thread full of those images would be silly.

The goal of a forum is not that every member can meaningfully contribute to every thread.  The goal is that any member can meaningfully contribute in those threads they're able to.  I have zero input to contribute to threads about construction updates in the deep south, for example, but I'm not going to complain that I'm not "allowed to participate" in those threads.  Same way here:  if you don't have photos to submit, then find a thread where you have more to contribute.  Or, better yet:  keep up with everyone else's submissions, learn about route shields in different states and countries, see what makes for a good and a bad photograph, enjoy the comments, and wait until the challenge reaches the point where you actually have a photo to submit.  Then we'll all get to enjoy your photo too, rather than digressing into petty arguments about rules and nitpicking.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: Zeffy on April 17, 2016, 01:11:09 PM
Again, from Alps' site:

(And this time it's in sequence...)

I just drove past this sign a couple of months ago, wish now I'd taken a picture.  I also drove through Sikeston, where I could have snapped a picture of 60, 61, and 62 all on one assembly.  Alas, my only image file of that assembly was snipped from GSV, so it wouldn't have counted anyway.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jbnv

Quote from: kphoger on April 17, 2016, 02:50:51 PM
... I don't have any sign photos between the 50s and the 80s and I don't feel like Google image searching just to post someone else's picture on this thread.  ...  as has been mentioned, anyone can just hop on Google Maps and snip a route shield into a photo hosting site; that's not a challenge, and that's not this challenge.

Help me understand this logic.

Using Google to find a picture that someone other than Google took and posting that picture is allowed.

Using Google to find a picture that Google took (Street View) and posting that picture is NOT allowed.

The 55 sign that I posted came from Street View. I snipped it some time ago and posted it in the Sine Salad thread. It's not my property, but I harvested and formatted the picture.

I'll agree that posting links to Street View is not in the spirit of the game. I disagree that using pictures that happened to be snipped from GSV and are hosted elsewhere is against the spirit of the game.

But hey, your thread, your rules.

BTW, here's 63.

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jbnv

[Oops, forgot about the 10+ rule.]

kphoger

Quote from: jbnv on April 17, 2016, 03:24:27 PM
Help me understand this logic.

Using Google to find a picture that someone other than Google took and posting that picture is allowed.

Using Google to find a picture that Google took (Street View) and posting that picture is NOT allowed.

You'll notice I've chosen to not post other people's pictures on this thread, and that's because I sort of agree with you that it's not in the spirit of things. But, since doing so isn't against the rules of the challenge, I'll still enjoy the pictures that other people find online and share. But I'll certainly get more pleasure in seeing pictures that the poster personally snapped.

Taking pictures of the road as you drive (or bike, walk, etc.) is a very "road enthusiast" type of thing. Knowing where to find collections of such pictures that other enthusiasts have taken is similar, and others of us might appreciate knowing where to go to find them. But any fool can find a Route ## on Google Maps and plop the Pegman down; that might be roadgeeky (trust me, I do a LOT of it and people think I'm weird), but there's no need to share that "ability" on a thread dedicated to road photos.
Male pronouns, please.

jbnv

Quote from: kphoger on April 17, 2016, 04:33:37 PM
Knowing where to find collections of such pictures that other enthusiasts have taken is similar, and others of us might appreciate knowing where to go to find them. But any fool can find a Route ## on Google Maps and plop the Pegman down; that might be roadgeeky (trust me, I do a LOT of it and people think I'm weird), but there's no need to share that "ability" on a thread dedicated to road photos.

Any fool can use image search on a popular search engine to find a picture and post the link to it as well.

Here's a slightly different way of looking at it: Let's say that I happen to know where there is a sign with the particular current number. In this case I don't have the means to go to the sign and snap it right now. What I can do is I can go to GSV and capture a picture of it. Or I can search my favorite image source for an image.

Is the latter truly more noble than the former? What if there aren't any pictures of the sign that I am thinking of other than GSV?

If your argument is that you can find really good signs through search and that GSV is a lazy way of getting a picture just to play, I will give you that.

TravelingBethelite

*AHEM* To get back on topic (and sequence), here's a classic from Indy for (I-) 65.  :nod:

"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

CobaltYoshi27

Here's 66. Sorry for not using the classic US 66.
I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

jay8g

No one said it had to be a highway route...  ;-)

Roadgeek Adam

Well, this can be 68, or 67 if the one above is DQ'd. (Kenton, OH)
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.