Most terrible speed limits.

Started by Roadgeekteen, June 01, 2017, 11:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: 7/8 on June 12, 2017, 10:12:25 PM
Besides the maximum 100 km/h limits on Ontario's 400-series highways, there's also the 90 km/h limit on the freeway portion of highway 7/8 between New Hamburg to Kitchener. The part west of Kitchener is a rural freeway which could easily handle 100 (should be even higher, but that would require the MTO to get over their 100 limits).

Hwy 1 through Burnaby and Vancouver also has a rather low limit, despite the full-freeway nature of the road (even if the median gets rather narrow around the Ironworkers). I can't quite remember where it starts and ends, but large stretches of the freeway are 90 km/h. I swear there's even a short stretch of 80, but I can't remember where. All other urban stretches of Hwy 1 are 100, even though they have the same design standards.

Though, that speed limit along Hwy 7/8 is far more ridiculous. 90 in the middle of nowhere? That's bizarre.

roadman65

I used to think that the many 25 mph zones on suburban arterials in NJ was terrible.  South Plainfield comes to mind as other than I-287 that either is 55 or 65 now, and Hamilton Blvd is 35 are the only two roads with a higher than 25 limit.  Oh, yes and Stelton Road, but considering it shares a border with Piscataway, it is not totally within its jurisdiction.

Than US 1 in Camden, SC with a very long 40 mph speed zone I have to say is ridiculous.
The FDR Drive in NYC with its 40 mph on a freeway.
The 55 mph on the LIE even in Suffolk County and parts of Nassau that should be 65 like on Upstate Freeways.
US 19 between the FL State Line and Thomasville, GA is only 55, considering its rural and in FL (across the line ) its 65.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ukfan758

I-65 and I-265 in Southern Indiana and the new I-265 extension in KY. 65 goes to 55mph the moment the freeway becomes concrete and goes to six lanes. It could easily be 65 mph until mm1. Indiana state police are aware that people drive 65-70 on it and thus have a heavy presence and love to ticket. All of 265 in Indiana and the new Kentucky section is 55mph when it should be 65. The new segment from the bridge to I-65 should be (rural area, also tolled with the bridge) and the new Kentucky section should be 65 (Bridge, tunnel, and six lane section before I-71).

Mr. Matté

Sorry for the bump but the Hightstown Bypass, NJ Route 133, is a freeway with a 50-mph speed limit. Originally opened with a 45-mph limit, it is now enshrined on Google Earth why the town wants to keep it so low:

MNHighwayMan

No mention of St. Paul's I-35E? I don't care about what's legally mandated, the 45 speed limit is ridiculous (and poorly adhered to regardless of the number of signs MnDOT wastes money on).

Truvelo

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on September 04, 2017, 11:32:09 AM
No mention of St. Paul's I-35E? I don't care about what's legally mandated, the 45 speed limit is ridiculous (and poorly adhered to regardless of the number of signs MnDOT wastes money on).

If that's 45 x 3 then I'll be happy doing 135 :colorful:
Speed limits limit life

Max Rockatansky

55 MPH and 45 MPH over the Calumet River on the Chicago Skyway seemed excessively slow given the redesign.

SidS1045

One that I believe has been fixed:  When I-190 in MA opened in 1983, it was built with three lanes in each direction, gentle curves, a wide median, wide and banked shoulders (to keep runoff out of a nearby reservoir)...and a posted limit of 55.  Needless to say, it was paradise for state troopers with empty citation books.  Posting it at 70 or above would have been perfectly safe.

I'm pretty sure it's now posted at 65.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

PHLBOS

Quote from: SidS1045 on September 08, 2017, 03:18:37 PM
One that I believe has been fixed:  When I-190 in MA opened in 1983, it was built with three lanes in each direction, gentle curves, a wide median, wide and banked shoulders (to keep runoff out of a nearby reservoir)...and a posted limit of 55.  Needless to say, it was paradise for state troopers with empty citation books.  Posting it at 70 or above would have been perfectly safe.

I'm pretty sure it's now posted at 65.
Actually, the lastest GSV doesn't show any speed limit sign along I-190 northbound until here; MM 2.2 & north of Exit 2.

Along I-190 southbound, the speed limit takes a 20 mph nosedive here; MM 1, south of Exit 1.

If one studied & took their driver's test in the Bay State; the assumed speed limit of a divided highway (unless otherwise posted) is 50 mph; so such would mean the speed limit along I-190 northbound from I-290 to MM 2.2 is 50.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

thenetwork

I-70 thru Glenwood Canyon, CO uses Variable Speed Limit signs that cap off at 45 MPH.  When roads are dry (and not under construction) during daylight hours, most vehicles are doing at least 55 MPH around most of the curves. 

Further west, along I-70 in Debeque Canyon, the speed limit through that less-curvy canyon was capped at 50 MPH, but CDOT finally raised it up to a more reasonable 60 MPH earlier this year.

Then you have those roads where the posted speed limit pretty much can only be met or exceeded in the overnight hours, due to daytime congestion, poorly-timed lights and left lane idiots who do 35 in a 45 because they will be turning left -- 5 miles down the road!!!!

fillup420

In North Carolina, I have never seen a 2-lane highway with a limit higher than 55. There are plenty of these that could be 65 or even 70. Mostly down east, on the way to the coast. US 64, 264, 117, 158, 421, and NC 11, 211, 133 all come to mind. There are also a few up in the mountains, like NC 105 that could easily be posted at 60 since the road follows an old rail grade so its nice and straight and flat-ish.

Henry

I think we can all agree that the NMSL was the worst idea that ever happened. I realize that it was mainly for economy purposes, but still, who'd want to drive 55 on a stretch of highway that could easily handle 70 and over?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 09, 2017, 07:50:36 AM
Worse....these $#!+ 85 MPH speedometers that used to be everywhere:

A Corvette that has an 85 mph speedometer just plain violates the laws of nature.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman on September 11, 2017, 02:00:21 PM

A Corvette that has an 85 mph speedometer just plain violates the laws of nature.

Thankfully they didn't last, I don't know how anyone really that was going to keep anyone from going over the 55 MPH speed limit.  We probably got lucky that 60-65 MPH speedos get mandated. 

PHLBOS

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 11, 2017, 03:16:18 PM
Quote from: roadman on September 11, 2017, 02:00:21 PM

Thankfully they didn't last, I don't know how anyone really that was going to keep anyone from going over the 55 MPH speed limit.  We probably got lucky that 60-65 MPH speedos speed limits get mandated were allowed again.
FTFY

The above created a (short-term) market for aftermarket higher-calibrated speedometers.

I'm sure many of the original 0-85 speedometers on the early 3rd generation Camaros ('82-'85(?)) were swapped out.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

texaskdog

Quote from: US 81 on June 02, 2017, 02:02:48 PM
The ubiquitous (in Texas at least) country lane signed 35-40mph is STILL signed 35-40 mph after being upgraded to divided four-lane.

A lot of time two lane roads will be 55 and then break out into four and become 50 (with the obligatory speed trap of course).  Ridiculous.

Max Rockatansky

Why is almost every surface street in Duluth, MN 35 MPH?   I was just there on a recent vacation and it was one of the most obnoxious things ever to drive on when 45-50 was more reasonable.

Ingsoc75

Many roads that cross the state line from Texas to Louisiana.

TX        LA
70/75 - 55
Check out my Speed Limit Sign Gallery.

nexus73

I-55 south of Memphis wound up with decreasing speed limits to the Mississippi border, getting as low as 45 MPH.  Once into the Magnolia State the freeway was up to 70 MPH.  Tennessee's highway patrol units were along this stretch, thick as fleas.  This was back in 1996.  Whether it is still the same today is something I do not know.  Maybe someone here can let us know if the Mother Of All Speedtraps is still causing trouble.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Ingsoc75 on September 23, 2017, 05:33:52 PM

TX        LA
70/75 - 55
Texas should probably lower speed limits in east Texas to match.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 23, 2017, 11:48:43 PM

TX        LA
70/75 - 55

Why wouldn't Louisiana just raise their speed limits to match Texas or get close to it?  Slower isn't necessarily better, just look at how states like Oregon operate.

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 23, 2017, 11:54:35 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 23, 2017, 11:48:43 PM

TX        LA
70/75 - 55

Why wouldn't Louisiana just raise their speed limits to match Texas or get close to it?  Slower isn't necessarily better, just look at how states like Oregon operate.

I think the easy answer is, most states don't post two-lane roads at 70 or 75, therefore Texas is an outlier, and should change to be more in-line. However, I think Texas has it right, so I would agree that other states should follow them, rather than the other way around.

michravera

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 01, 2017, 11:15:31 PM
What speed limits make you think that the dots were drunk when coming up with the speed limit? I am not talking about the, this could be slightly lower/higher, this is the what the f**k were they thinking, this should way higher/lower.
There is a small section of CASR-58 just south and east of Mojave. It was, briefly put up to the 70MPH state maximum, but it was discovered, despite being designated as "Freeway" in the land rights book was not actually freeway on the ground and was dropped back down to 65MPH.

Lots of them around here, including Spencer St in Appleton/Grand Chute.  2 lane arterial with traffic counts in the mid to upper 4 figures, passes through medium density mixed-use neighborhoods.  The speed limit?  25.  Nobody follows that; most people do somewhere between 27 and 32, and if the speed limit was 30 or 35 (as several other similar roads are), people would probably go that speed.

Some more stupid 25's in this wonderfully messed up metropolis:
WI 47 and 9th St in Menasha.The speed limit drops to 25 a block BEFORE the traffic light, which begins a denser residential area, and to further complicate things, there's a 35 sign only a block or two before this and no reduced speed sign.  Nobody is going 25 or slower when they rach this sign, guaranteed.
Kensington Dr on the south side of Appleton.  Currently wide open, with a medium-density residential area a FEW BLOCKS ahead.  It's hard NOT to go 35, as I'm sure everyone would if it weren't for the (still universally disobeyed, often by 5+ mph) 25 sign there.
County N in Kimberly.  This is a 4 lane road in a pretty light business district and going over a bridge several blocks long over the Fox River, but the speed limit is still an impossible 25.  Even 30 feels rather slow.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

7/8

In Guelph:

Speedvale Ave between CR 32 and Elmira Rd is 60 km/h despite the fact that this segment is still undeveloped and has good shoulders. It should drop to 60 east of Elmira (or even be 70 in the city...)
https://goo.gl/maps/an7WrgQgDgL2

In Cambridge:

Middle Block Rd between Fountain St (RR 17) and Speedsville Rd is 50 km/h, despite being a rural road with only a few houses. I suspect the homeowners complained about increased through-traffic since the Fairway Rd bridge opened.
https://goo.gl/maps/S5ecYwPMPB72

In the Township of Woolwich:

There are two curves on Chilligo Rd between Lerch Rd and Woolwich-Guelph Townline. Both are signed as recommended 40 km/h, but one you can safely do 70, while the other truly requires you to go 40. If you're heading north and you're unfamiliar with the road, the first curve could give you a false impression of how slow to take the second curve.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.