News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Odd "jerry-rigged" Roaunabout

Started by Brian556, February 04, 2012, 09:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/fox_4_features/street_squad/street-squad%3A-roundabouts-020212
Click on the link annd watch the video.
The roundabout is in Garland, TX.
Pay attention to the following in the video:
"YIELD TO TRAFFIC IN CIRCLE" signs
Rubber curbs rather than reconstructing the street properly.
The overhead flashing lights and the colors of them.

txstateends

I saw this the other night.  I thought, what's with the wobbly-wavy asphalt curbs?  And the span-wire blinking yellows?

The guy Ch.4 talked to said they want to do more of these in Garland; hopefully the rest will be more conventional-looking without the weird curbs and blinking lights.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Kacie Jane

I worked in Lynden, WA, for about three months (about 12 miles north of Bellingham), and sadly during that time, SR 539 -- the highway linking the two -- was under construction to (a) dualize the roadway and (b) construct four roundabouts at the key intersections.

Point of this story is, that "jerryrigged" roundabout is very reminiscent to me of the way those new roundabouts looked about halfway through construction.  I wonder if over time they're going to do more, i.e. landscape the curbs.

1995hoo

That looked like very temporary construction in the video. Makes me wonder if they intended it as an experimental thing that could be reversed if it didn't work out. I remember we once had a small roundabout here in Fairfax County that had a pile of old tires as the center "island" (it was later removed when the whole area was reconfigured).

I liked the use of "Yield to Traffic ON Circle," rather than "in Circle," but I wonder why the signage standard isn't taken one step further to allow "Yield to Traffic on Roundabout" (instead of "Circle").
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NE2

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 06, 2012, 05:46:37 PM
I wonder why the signage standard isn't taken one step further to allow "Yield to Traffic on Roundabout" (instead of "Circle").
Because then there would be arguing about whether it's truly a roundabout. But it's clearly a circle.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.