News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 73/74

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strider

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 24, 2021, 01:31:41 PM
In the meantime, maybe the interchanges on US 220 north of Interstate 73's present terminus should be numbered (with Interstate 73 mileage-based numbers). That is, unless any of 220's existing exits are bypassed by a new alignment in the future.

That section of US 220 will not be bypassed. The plan is to upgrade the existing US 220 to interstate standards with frontage roads in some sections all the way to VA state line.

tolbs17

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/I-5105_Feasibility-Study_0408A_Report_2007.pdf

When looking at this, there used to be a proposed flyover from the Asheboro bypass to I-73 South and I-74 East. Wonder why they removed it...

Dirt Roads

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 03, 2021, 12:05:28 AM
https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/I-5105_Feasibility-Study_0408A_Report_2007.pdf

When looking at this, there used to be a proposed flyover from the Asheboro bypass to I-73 South and I-74 East. Wonder why they removed it...

The old "main exit" for Asheboro is for both US-64 and NC-49 from the west.  Traffic from Richfield and Baden Lake is typically headed up US-220 towards Greensboro.  Traditionally, most of the US-through 64 traffic from the west is headed south on US-220 (this was the main route from Ohio/West Virginia to Myrtle Beach back in the 1960s and 1970s).  Very little of the northbound traffic on either US-64 or NC-49 would head that far south on the Asheboro Bypass to get onto US-220.  The new bypass may take the through traffic off of the main drag in Asheboro, but doesn't do much to relieve congestion at the old "main exit".  Which is now numbered Exit 72A/B.

sprjus4

My guess would simply be because upon a further review, they deemed the volumes did not warrant a flyover for any of the loops. Given the two highways locations, I can't see much traffic switching between the two routes in any large volumes.

However, I will make an exception to this, and say that because of the Zoo access road interchange built on the bypass just east of the I-73 interchange, a flyover between I-73 South and US-64 East might have been warranted to accommodate zoo traffic from the north (likely busier than from the south). But that would strictly depend on how busy the loop gets during peak times.

Strider

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 03, 2021, 10:39:45 AM

My guess would simply be because upon a further review, they deemed the volumes did not warrant a flyover for any of the loops. Given the two highways locations, I can't see much traffic switching between the two routes in any large volumes.

However, I will make an exception to this, and say that because of the Zoo access road interchange built on the bypass just east of the I-73 interchange, a flyover between I-73 South and US-64 East might have been warranted to accommodate zoo traffic from the north (likely busier than from the south). But that would strictly depend on how busy the loop gets during peak times.

They removed the flyover because of cost-saving. Instead of a flyover, they replaced it with the collector distributor lanes and the loop ramps. Also, you're right. traffic volumes did not warrant a flyover at this time.

tolbs17

Quote from: Strider on July 03, 2021, 11:35:18 AM

They removed the flyover because of cost-saving. Instead of a flyover, they replaced it with the collector distributor lanes and the loop ramps. Also, you're right. traffic volumes did not warrant a flyover at this time.
And the proposed interchange that they are making, I still like the proposed SPUI. Right now it seems like they are doing minor improvements to the existing interchange.

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 03, 2021, 01:40:37 PM

And the proposed interchange that they are making, I still like the proposed SPUI. Right now it seems like they are doing minor improvements to the existing interchange.
Agreed, that whole segment of I-73/I-74 will need to be reconstructed at some point through Asheboro. Many geometrical deficiencies and overall being substandard. They reconstructed the mainline in the past decade to meet basic interstate standards and brought the speed limit up to 65 mph, but there's still much more work to do, which that feasibility study did outline some solutions.

Alex4897

Having been on that bypass a few times since it's opened, they definitely made the right call on cutting the flyover out. The US 64 bypass is generally pretty desolate every time I use it to link to NC 49. The buffer lane they added at the cloverleaf with I-73/74 between the thru lanes and the merge / exit lane is more than adequate to safely handle people entering and exiting US 64. Given how quick cities along / near I-85 are growing it may become necessary in the future, but for now they've built more than enough to suffice for a while.
👉😎👉

Strider

NCDOT still needs to look at that dreadful interchange design for I-73/I-85/US 421 south of Greensboro. The interchange was built with in mind that I-73 was to continue on US 220 towards I-40 and turn west. But, now that I-73 is routed northwest on the Loop, that interchange needs to be fixed. Hopefully in the next decade or sometime in the distant future.

ahj2000

Quote from: Strider on July 03, 2021, 04:00:35 PM
NCDOT still needs to look at that dreadful interchange design for I-73/I-85/US 421 south of Greensboro. The interchange was built with in mind that I-73 was to continue on US 220 towards I-40 and turn west. But, now that I-73 is routed northwest on the Loop, that interchange needs to be fixed. Hopefully in the next decade or sometime in the distant future.
Does it really HAVE to? It seems like it should have a flyover when a ramp carries an Interstate highway, but does it need one? There's probably not a ton of traffic that uses that direction. W-S/High Point/Charlotte and Points West traffic would've used 74, traffic to downtown Gsboro takes 220 to Bus 85, and 85 takes the bulk of the rest. It seems it would only be a bit of airport traffic, the west side of town, and Martinsville-not really a ton. Perhaps there's a statistic that proves otherwise, though.

sprjus4

Quote from: ahj2000 on July 03, 2021, 04:10:13 PM
Does it really HAVE to? It seems like it should have a flyover when a ramp carries an Interstate highway, but does it need one? There's probably not a ton of traffic that uses that direction. W-S/High Point/Charlotte and Points West traffic would've used 74, traffic to downtown Gsboro takes 220 to Bus 85, and 85 takes the bulk of the rest. It seems it would only be a bit of airport traffic, the west side of town, and Martinsville-not really a ton. Perhaps there's a statistic that proves otherwise, though.
Only about 5,500 AADT use the loop ramp, which is the highest traffic movement at that particular interchange. It's not a pressing priority for a flyover, given the lower volume, especially when compared to what some loops have to handle (much higher!), but it should eventually be constructed.

Strider

Oh, it is going to be necessary in the future even if AADT may seem low right now. I live in the city and use that road everyday. There is more traffic on I-73 than it is on I-74. FYI.

Strider

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 03, 2021, 04:13:41 PM
Only about 5,500 AADT use the loop ramp, which is the highest traffic movement at that particular interchange. It's not a pressing priority for a flyover, given the lower volume, especially when compared to what some loops have to handle (much higher!), but it should eventually be constructed.

Exactly why I said in the future or in the distant future. I don't know what traffic will be like after the I-73/I-74 Rockingham bypass is finished, but eventually traffic is going to increase and that half cloverleaf will not handle the amount of traffic.

sprjus4

Quote from: Strider on July 03, 2021, 04:21:29 PM

Exactly why I said in the future or in the distant future. I don't know what traffic will be like after the I-73/I-74 Rockingham bypass is finished, but eventually traffic is going to increase and that half cloverleaf will not handle the amount of traffic.
I don't know that the completion of the Rockingham Bypass is what is going to draw in traffic increases. Perhaps once I-73 is complete down to I-95 or up to I-81... and well... maybe in 50 years?

Strider

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 03, 2021, 04:23:22 PM
Quote from: Strider on July 03, 2021, 04:21:29 PM

I don't know that the completion of the Rockingham Bypass is what is going to draw in traffic increases. Perhaps once I-73 is complete down to I-95 or up to I-81... and well... maybe in 50 years?

After the Rockingham Bypass is finished, the new signages will divert traffic currently taking US 1 up to US 220 North going points north.... towards the Bypass. Also, it will link the current I-73/I-74 with I-95 via I-74/Future I-74/US 74 whatever that area signs that way. That may bring good amount of traffic. Other than that, you're correct. There will not be any significant traffic increases until I-73 is complete to either interstate.

Eventually I-74 is going to bring more traffic as soon as the WSEB is complete to US 52. It will be completed in within a few years.

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If I were NCDOT, I'd just find a way to identify some funds and construct I-73 more or less atop NC 38 right down to the SC state line (4 miles, give or take) -- i.e., essentially informing SC that the ball is now in their court!  While it is technically possible for NB I-95 traffic to simply use the I-74 corridor west to Rockingham and thence north to Greensboro and W-S to reach that area, it's a bit of an oblique angle, adds 30+ miles over the projected I-73 corridor along SC 38, and would be useful primarily to those folks who want to remain on an Interstate -- period!  But given the various controversies and/or funding issues endemic to the I-73 corridor in SC, its development is certainly not a given -- so any incentive provided from NC might at least provoke some renewed interest "south of the border" toward a resolution. 

Strider

Quote from: sparker on July 03, 2021, 05:40:41 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If I were NCDOT, I'd just find a way to identify some funds and construct I-73 more or less atop NC 38 right down to the SC state line (4 miles, give or take) -- i.e., essentially informing SC that the ball is now in their court!  While it is technically possible for NB I-95 traffic to simply use the I-74 corridor west to Rockingham and thence north to Greensboro and W-S to reach that area, it's a bit of an oblique angle, adds 30+ miles over the projected I-73 corridor along SC 38, and would be useful primarily to those folks who want to remain on an Interstate -- period!  But given the various controversies and/or funding issues endemic to the I-73 corridor in SC, its development is certainly not a given -- so any incentive provided from NC might at least provoke some renewed interest "south of the border" toward a resolution.

I agree with you. I'd extend I-73 until at least 2 miles before the state line. It is proposed to have an interchange with Ghio Rd. between I-74/US 74 and SC state line (future Exit 2). The traffic can go either west to NC 38 (which will change in SC 38 and is one of the major roads to Bennettsville and eventually US 501 towards Myrtle Beach) or east to NC 381 (another route that changes into SC 381, with meets US 15 and US 401 and eventually SC 9).

However, NCDOT prefers to wait until SCDOT does something about I-73. I don't know the status of I-73 down in SC since I last heard about the Horry County/surrounding cities settlement based on hospitality fee. However, I also heard that Sen. Graham (R-SC) requested $12 million to fund the I-73 Project as of 4 days ago. Other than that, I can't really speak for the status of I-73 in SC.

sparker

Quote from: Strider on July 03, 2021, 05:54:28 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree with you. I'd extend I-73 until at least 2 miles before the state line. It is proposed to have an interchange with Ghio Rd. between I-74/US 74 and SC state line (future Exit 2). The traffic can go either west to NC 38 (which will change in SC 38 and is one of the major roads to Bennettsville and eventually US 501 towards Myrtle Beach) or east to NC 381 (another route that changes into SC 381, with meets US 15 and US 401 and eventually SC 9).

However, NCDOT prefers to wait until SCDOT does something about I-73. I don't know the status of I-73 down in SC since I last heard about the Horry County/surrounding cities settlement based on hospitality fee. However, I also heard that Sen. Graham (R-SC) requested $12 million to fund the I-73 Project as of 4 days ago. Other than that, I can't really speak for the status of I-73 in SC.

Sounds like the NC/SC dilemma has taken on an "after you, Alphonse" aspect; somehow the ice needs to be broken in decisive fashion.  $12M sounds like just enough $$ to do or continue a study; hardly enough to make a dent in a project of that magnitude. 

tolbs17

I don't see a collector distributor.

Strider

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 06, 2021, 01:06:32 PM

I don't see a collector distributor.

They're on I-73/I-74. You have to zoom really close to see it.

wdcrft63

Quote from: sparker on July 03, 2021, 06:11:53 PM
Quote from: Strider on July 03, 2021, 05:54:28 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds like the NC/SC dilemma has taken on an "after you, Alphonse" aspect; somehow the ice needs to be broken in decisive fashion.  $12M sounds like just enough $$ to do or continue a study; hardly enough to make a dent in a project of that magnitude.
I'm quite sure NC won't do anything about extending I-73 south of I-74 until we see a credible commitment from SC to build all of its I-73 route. So far we see nothing at all resembling that commitment.

bob7374

I have posted photos taken by David Johnson of the construction area for the future I-73/I-74 Rockingham Bypass taken from along US 74 West and Business 74 East:

The project at the end of June was now over 1/3 complete, still estimated to be completed in late 2023 or early 2024. The rest of the photos are at:
https://malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i73seg11.html#photos

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: bob7374 on July 10, 2021, 10:29:17 PM
I have posted photos taken by David Johnson of the construction area for the future I-73/I-74 Rockingham Bypass taken from along US 74 West and Business 74 East:

The project at the end of June was now over 1/3 complete, still estimated to be completed in late 2023 or early 2024. The rest of the photos are at:
https://malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i73seg11.html#photos

The top photo on the linked page has a nice view of the northern end of the bypass.  The section that had been graded  during the construction of that interchange has been paved.

bob7374

I've posted new photos taken by Val Melvin of future I-74 construction along US 52 north of Winston-Salem, which includes new shoulder widening between the future Beltway and the Interstate standard King-Tobaccoville exit and further construction on the future Beltway interchange:

The photos are available on my I-74 Segment 3 page:
https://malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i74seg3.html
and Segment 4 page: https://malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i74seg4.html#photos

carbaugh2

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 03, 2021, 01:42:35 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 03, 2021, 01:40:37 PM

Agreed, that whole segment of I-73/I-74 will need to be reconstructed at some point through Asheboro. Many geometrical deficiencies and overall being substandard. They reconstructed the mainline in the past decade to meet basic interstate standards and brought the speed limit up to 65 mph, but there's still much more work to do, which that feasibility study did outline some solutions.

Here is the last proposal of reconstructing the 64/49 exits in Asheboro that I found on the NCDOT website: https://www.ncdot.gov/news/public-meetings/Documents/U-5813-map-2.pdf. Unfortunately, there is very little detail regarding how they would treat existing 73/74/220.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.