News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 73/74

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob7374

Google Maps now has June 2023 Street View coverage of the under construction I-73/I-74 Rockingham Bypass interchange at Cartledge Creek Road (the only exit along the Bypass between US 220 and US 74):

Additional screen captures at: https://malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i73seg11.html#photos

bob7374

NCDOT announces weekend traffic shift and lane closures along Kernersville Road as part of I-74/Northern Beltway construction project:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-09-07-project-traffic-shift-forsyth-county.aspx

The shift was postponed to this weekend, Sept. 16-17, meanwhile here is a Street View capture from July looking along Kernersville Road to the construction area, the road being built on the left is what they are opening this weekend:

Along with the weekend closure of the I-40 East exit to Union Cross Road:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-09-07-forsyth-county-temporary-i-40-closure.aspx

bob7374

New September photos courtesy of David Gallo show the interchange in Boardman on US 74/NC 130 West is now open:

Other photos in Boardman and new construction photos of the NC 130/72 interchange project to the west available at:
https://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i74seg17.html#segment

Meanwhile, work along US 74/76 in Lake Waccamaw for the new interchange and bridges there continues:

More photos by David Gallo at: https://malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i74seg18.html#photos

bob7374

Google Maps has updated its Street View coverage along I-74 (old US 311) east of Winston-Salem to September. I took some screen shots of the Winston-Salem Bypass interchange construction near the Union Cross Road exit:

Other images at: https://malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i74seg4.html#photos

The Ghostbuster

Street View still lists the Interstate 74 and future NC 192 segments as US 311, even though that designation was truncated to Exit 110B on US 52 in January 2019. Also, it is my understanding that there is still some 311 signage along the old alignment between Randleman and High Point that has yet to be removed.

bob7374

Winston-Salem Journal article about the current delay in building the western section of the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway (Future I-274), the first section not scheduled to start construction until 2030. Plus an update on when the Future I-74 Beltway interchange with US 52 will open:
https://journalnow.com/news/local/western-ws-beltway-delayed/article_ad8f518c-2af2-11ee-9b29-53109ad9542f.html

The Ghostbuster

I wonder if they will decide to build the 274 segment of the WSNB as a tollroad, like the NC 540 (and NC 885) Triangle Expressways. Then the roadway may have to be signed as NC 274, or signed as NC 452.

carbaugh2

I came across this article with an update on the Beltway.

https://wstoday.6amcity.com/winston-salem-northern-beltway

I'm not sure what is meant by partial opening, but I'm hoping that means I-74 through traffic.

-- Fixed URL. -rmf67

sprjus4

Partial opening before Thanksgiving. Likely the northerly ramps, with the southern ramps opening next year. I-74 / US-52 traffic to I-40 East should be able to fully bypass Winston-Salem in a week or two.

Strider

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 09, 2023, 06:44:25 PM
I wonder if they will decide to build the 274 segment of the WSNB as a tollroad, like the NC 540 (and NC 885) Triangle Expressways. Then the roadway may have to be signed as NC 274, or signed as NC 452.

If the road is being built as a toll road (I highly doubt it will happen.. there will definitely be backlash because almost nobody likes to pay toll), it will more likely to be signed as Toll NC 274.

Mapmikey

It is already NC 452 so I don't see the need to renumber as already-in-use NC 274. Also, it can be I-274 even if tolled.

The Ghostbuster

I believe the Interstate 274 segment of the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway will not start construction until the 2030s. Would it have been possible to make the Interstate 74/274 beltway a full 360-degree beltway, connecting US 158 with future Interstate 74/future NC 192 along the southern side of the Winston-Salem area? Or was proposed construction of Interstate 274 to end at US 158 instead of continuing to 74/192 because doing so had too many impacts, or was financially or otherwise impractical?

ARMOURERERIC

IMHO, there are much more important priorities in NC than 274.  It mostly seems to serve the Ashley distribution center in Advance.  I'd rater see the $$ go to slowly 6 laning 40 going west.

Strider

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 10, 2023, 01:23:38 PM
I believe the Interstate 274 segment of the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway will not start construction until the 2030s. Would it have been possible to make the Interstate 74/274 beltway a full 360-degree beltway, connecting US 158 with future Interstate 74/future NC 192 along the southern side of the Winston-Salem area? Or was proposed construction of Interstate 274 to end at US 158 instead of continuing to 74/192 because doing so had too many impacts, or was financially or otherwise impractical?

There was an early plan for the southern beltway from US 158 to where I-74 meets future NC 192 but it was dropped because no alternative were chosen and NCDOT did not include that part in their future plans. However, it is possible to revive that when the entire beltway is finished (after 2030s).

bob7374

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 06, 2023, 08:15:02 PM
Partial opening before Thanksgiving. Likely the northerly ramps, with the southern ramps opening next year. I-74 / US-52 traffic to I-40 East should be able to fully bypass Winston-Salem in a week or two.
This 'incident' has appeared on the NCDOT Traffic Map along US 52:
The left hand land of US-52 southbound [starting at the Westinghouse Road exit] will be closed in order to tie the existing roadway to the upcoming shift that will be on November 17th. Please use caution proceeding through the work zone and pay attention for workers.

Could this be when they plan to partially open the Beltway interchange?

bob7374

Quote from: bob7374 on November 11, 2023, 11:08:39 AM
The left hand land of US-52 southbound [starting at the Westinghouse Road exit] will be closed in order to tie the existing roadway to the upcoming shift that will be on November 17th. Please use caution proceeding through the work zone and pay attention for workers.

Another construction incident has popped up for US 52 today (11/14), this one definitely for the upcoming Beltway interchange opening:
US-52, Near NC-65
• Near Rural Hall / Mile Marker 117 to 118 Heading North
• Forsyth County
Construction: Lane Closed
The right lane will be closed on US-52 northbound to tie in the upcoming traffic shift from NC-74 to existing US-52. Please use caution when proceeding through the work zone and pay attention for workers.
1 of 2 lanes closed.

LM117

Quote from: bob7374 on November 14, 2023, 12:03:01 PM

Another construction incident has popped up for US 52 today (11/14), this one definitely for the upcoming Beltway interchange opening:
US-52, Near NC-65
• Forsyth County
The right lane will be closed on US-52 northbound to tie in the upcoming traffic shift from NC-74 to existing US-52. Please use caution when proceeding through the work zone and pay attention for workers.
1 of 2 lanes closed.

NCDOT press release:

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-11-15-lane-traffic-shift-beltway-forsyth.aspx
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

bob7374

Quote from: LM117 on November 15, 2023, 03:11:12 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on November 14, 2023, 12:03:01 PM

US-52, Near NC-65
• Forsyth County
1 of 2 lanes closed.

NCDOT press release:

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-11-15-lane-traffic-shift-beltway-forsyth.aspx
Coverage of opening in the Winston-Salem Journal:
https://journalnow.com/news/local/gallery-northern-beltway-section-opens-this-weekend/collection_82f7507c-8403-11ee-994f-d35d76e1d58f.html
(behind paywall if you have already exceeded their article limit)

The Ghostbuster

Will they wait until the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway is completed between US 52 and Interstate 74/future NC 192 before replacing the NC 74 signs with Interstate 74 signs?

Strider

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 16, 2023, 03:52:56 PM
Will they wait until the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway is completed between US 52 and Interstate 74/future NC 192 before replacing the NC 74 signs with Interstate 74 signs?

Good question. I believe they're going to signing that part as NC 74 until it is at least finished towards I-40. If not, then yes until it meets current I-74/future NC 192. But NCDOT has done crazy things before, so I will not be surprised if they went ahead and sign it I-74.  :-D :-D

bob7374

Another good question is whether NCDOT plans to renumber the US 52 exits to I-74 mileage after the Beltway interchange is open or wait until the entire I-74 section of the Beltway is completed. The sign plans with the new exit numbers were issued with the final contract for the section south/east of I-40. The exit renumbering was to happen along with the placement of Future I-74 signs, which may not make sense for when the Beltway is signed as NC 74. 

The Ghostbuster

I think the exits on US 52 should have already been renumbered to correspond with the mileage of future Interstate 74 and Interstate 285 (present and future segments). Maybe NCDOT will wait until all of the US 52 freeway is completely up to Interstate Standards before renumbering the exits.

Strider

The NC 74/US 52 partial interchange is open. It is just like the original "Y" interchange that goes to NC 66 (US 52 S to NC 74 E, and NC 74W to US 52 N).

I think they rushed on to open it too soon. Both directions of US 52 lanes are moved to future I-74 West lanes between the split and Westinghouse Rd interchanges while they're working on future I-74 East lanes (that is why they did not open the future eastbound lanes for I-74 as there are a lot of work to be done... including the bridge that will carry traffic to US 52 South and future I-274.)

The VMI ground mounted signage is kind of poor though.

Going to NC 74 East from US 52 South (using future I-74 Westbound lanes) is the left exit, which begins as a one single lane and immediately gained an extra lane before going under the permanent US 52 North bridge and then returns back to NC 74 Eastbound lanes at the current NC 66/University Parkway interchange).

As for going West on NC 74 past the NC 66/University Pkwy interchange, there is only one lane that immediately detours onto the future US 52 South (I-274, I-285) ramp because NC-74 East lanes are using the westbound lanes for now. However, you're forced to divert to US 52 North as the ramp to US 52 South is still under construction, and then when you merge onto US 52 North, that lane ends almost immediately leaving you a little time to merge onto US 52 North.. not to mention that the exit ramp for the NC 65 interchange is immediately ahead. I can imagine a temporary weaving issue in that area.

If you are driving in that area while the construction is ongoing.. pay attention. It is a mess. For now.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Strider on November 20, 2023, 10:00:06 PM
If you are driving in that area while the construction is ongoing.. pay attention. It is a mess. For now.

It has to be better than a month ago when (making the connection from NC-74 -to- US-52) there was construction on both sides of University Parkway between Coral Drive -and- Hanes Mill Road.  Fortunately, that construction was done when I came back through the next day.  On a different note, I've kinda gotten attached to the Waffle House at Hanes Mill Road.  Won't need to go that way ever again.

bob7374

On the other side of the state, NCDOT has advertised for the pavement rehabilitation project along US 74 (Future I-74) from NC 41 to just beyond the Lumber River bridges in Columbus County. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this contract is improving any of the route to interstate standards. The plans appear to call for placing new pavement for two 10 foot lanes in each direction and a 4 foot shoulder. The contract is also creating a reduced conflict intersection at the Creek Road intersection, though its planned to be turned into an interchange in 2027. There is an interesting type on the second page of the SigningPlans3 file, signs on US 74 West for NC 150 are marked as NC 220, fortunately they're not replacing them.

The sign plans are at: https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/dsplan/2023%20Highway%20Letting/12-19-23/Plans%20and%20Proposals/COLUMBUS_ROBESON_HI-0016_HI-0017_C204845/HI-0016/Standard%20PDF%20Files/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.