News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Texas Cities misplaced on The Weather Channel's new maps

Started by Brian556, November 24, 2013, 12:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

On the Weather Channel's new maps, the dots for Texas cities appear to be 30-70 miles southeast of the city's actual location. The is very irresponsible of them to display maps with this big of a error.

With them being this far off, of course, results in viewers getting a false impression that certain types of weather are expected in their city.

BTW...The new white background maps are ugly in my opinion. The brown background looked better. I , however, can understand the logic behind using the white background, because it makes it easier to see the areas that are shaded in different colors.

JMoses24

Quote from: Brian556 on November 24, 2013, 12:32:36 AM
On the Weather Channel's new maps, the dots for Texas cities appear to be 30-70 miles southeast of the city's actual location. The is very irresponsible of them to display maps with this big of a error.

With them being this far off, of course, results in viewers getting a false impression that certain types of weather are expected in their city.

BTW...The new white background maps are ugly in my opinion. The brown background looked better. I , however, can understand the logic behind using the white background, because it makes it easier to see the areas that are shaded in different colors.

Someone really blew it there. WTF? Last I checked, Amarillo was a little further NW. For sure, El Paso was a bit more west or NW.

Scott5114

This is apparently an issue plaguing cities throughout the country. TWC is rolling out new software for the IntelliStar–the computers that generate the local forecast. The new software has misplaced cities on many units.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Scott5114

jeffandnicole

The Weather Channel is only concerned about one thing: Naming Snowstorms.  Or something that could be a snowstorm.  Nevermind that some areas of the country will experience snow weekly for the next 4 months, the Weather Channel now wants to give it a name.

In 2nd: Making sure something...anything...can be used as 'Breaking News' on their website.

pctech

The new WC graphics look like something created on an Apple II! :spin:

on_wisconsin

Quote from: pctech on November 25, 2013, 08:53:26 AM
I disagree, the whole refresh looks very modern, clean, and to the point, although I agree the new radar graphics are a big step down from before. Also a plus, the muzak/ soft rock background music is history as the Local on the 8's has its own theme now.

As for the topic: The 'cities in the wrong location' thing must very by region because they are only about 1-3 miles off around here.

EDIT, here is a sample clip (of the new layout):
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

hm insulators

Quote from: pctech on November 25, 2013, 08:53:26 AM

I'm of the same opinion: when I first saw them, my immediate reaction was "What'd they do, go back to 1980s graphics?"
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Dr Frankenstein

It seems like they've taken their inspiration from the Android/Windows/iOS UIs for handheld devices.

PHLBOS

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 25, 2013, 11:24:55 AMEDIT, here is a sample clip (of the new layout):
Okay...

1. They mark I-395 as I-95

2. They show I-90 running northeast into Winthrop, Revere & possibly Lynn; it ends at MA 1A at Logan Airport.  Assuming that the intent of the map is only showing Interstates and/or highways; what's shown is not correct.

The old graphics were more accurate IMHO.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hotdogPi

It thinks MA 3 is I-93 (which is why it's even shown at all).
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Scott5114

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.