News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

There should be a third highway related forum

Started by traffic light guy, January 02, 2017, 01:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traffic light guy

What ever happened to signaltrafficforums, we should bring that site back online. I already got banned from highway divides, and people here always ignore my posts.

US 41

It looks like Skyscraper City is probably the second most common place for people to talk about roads and such. I don't really think there is another "highway forum" that is as popular as this one, but I'm not 100% sure of that either.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

hotdogPi

If you create another one, make sure that the main focus is not the same as the one here. In your example, there should be more of a focus on traffic signals, compared to this one which covers a much broader range of topics, but does not cover traffic signals nearly as much. If you just create a duplicate of this forum, that means that there is competition between the forums, which we don't want, and also, a duplicate will not last long if everyone stays here (which most people will).

Quote from: US 41 on January 02, 2017, 01:30:49 PM
It looks like Skyscraper City is probably the second most common place for people to talk about roads and such. I don't really think there is another "highway forum" that is as popular as this one, but I'm not 100% sure of that either.

If there are two websites or sections of websites with exactly the same purpose, only one will be used often. However, if they differ some, it is possible for both to be used about equally.

Examples:

1. Google is used more than any other search engine by far. "By far" is even more extreme if Baidu is excluded (Google is banned in China).
2. Amazon and eBay have some notable differences, like people being able to sell things much more easily on eBay. Because of this, eBay is moderately behind Amazon, but not too far behind. On the other hand, Youtube is much more often used than any other video website, and the second-most popular and third-most popular English-language video websites are not in any way similar to YouTube (I won't say what they are).
3. There are two wikis each for the games Team Fortress 2 and Minecraft. In both cases, one is the dominant wiki by far, and the other is mostly abandoned. Road-related topics are abundant in Wikipedia, so that is why there is no separate English-language wiki for roads.

Because of this, I don't think there is another United States-based road forum that is nearly as popular as this one.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

traffic light guy

There should be a traffic signal realated forum, or someone should bring signaltrafficforums.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jeffandnicole

Quote from: traffic light guy on January 02, 2017, 01:37:04 PM
There should be a traffic signal realated forum, or someone should bring signaltrafficforums.

No one is stopping you from creating one yourself.

Bear in mind that the roadgeek community as a whole is very small.  The audience that would talk about traffic signals non-stop is probably going to be extremely few.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: NE2 on January 02, 2017, 04:23:32 PM
There should be a traffic light ghetto.

Only stop signs allowed everywhere else. Segregate the traffic lights.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Alps

freebrickproductions

The owner of the SignalTraffic Forums decided that they didn't want to run the site anymore so they shut it down. Highway Divides was created by one of the forum members on SignalTraffic so that the signal collectors who didn't like to use Facebook could stay in touch with other signal collectors more easily. That's why SignalTraffic was shut down and likely won't come back.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

traffic light guy

Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 02, 2017, 06:31:28 PM
The owner of the SignalTraffic Forums decided that they didn't want to run the site anymore so they shut it down. Highway Divides was created by one of the forum members on SignalTraffic so that the signal collectors who didn't like to use Facebook could stay in touch with other signal collectors more easily. That's why SignalTraffic was shut down and likely won't come back.
Can we get someone to take their place ?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

traffic light guy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 02, 2017, 04:35:59 PM
Quote from: traffic light guy on January 02, 2017, 01:37:04 PM

No one is stopping you from creating one yourself.

Bear in mind that the roadgeek community as a whole is very small.  The audience that would talk about traffic signals non-stop is probably going to be extremely few.

They're too expensive to create

hbelkins

Quote from: traffic light guy on January 02, 2017, 01:13:33 PM
people here always ignore my posts.

No guarantee they wouldn't at any new forum that might spring up.

If you want responses to your posts, post interesting items and ask relevant questions. Most people tend not to respond to posts just for the sake or responding. It's not like Facebook where people will just automatically click "Like" on every post their friends put up.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US 41

Don't get mad at me for this comment, but I mean traffic lights are traffic lights. They are green, yellow, and red; and some of them have turn arrows. I don't see how you could sit and possibly talk about traffic signals for days, months, or even years. That is probably why there is no longer a "traffic signal forum".

hbelkins

Quote from: US 41 on January 03, 2017, 11:19:24 AM
Don't get mad at me for this comment, but I mean traffic lights are traffic lights. They are green, yellow, and red; and some of them have turn arrows. I don't see how you could sit and possibly talk about traffic signals for days, months, or even years. That is probably why there is no longer a "traffic signal forum".

There's at least one fairly active Facebook group where they discuss different traffic signal manufacturers, show off the signals they've bought and hooked up in their homes, etc. So there is a specialized interest in signals as a subset of roadgeeking/road enthusiast/hobbying/viatolo (slap).

freebrickproductions

Quote from: hbelkins on January 03, 2017, 02:36:32 PM

There's at least one fairly active Facebook group where they discuss different traffic signal manufacturers, show off the signals they've bought and hooked up in their homes, etc. So there is a specialized interest in signals as a subset of roadgeeking/road enthusiast/hobbying/viatolo (slap).
There's also a fairly active forum for them as well (Highway Divides, which OP was banned from).
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

US 41

Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 03, 2017, 02:49:15 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 03, 2017, 02:36:32 PM

There's also a fairly active forum for them as well (Highway Divides, which OP was banned from).

Well that's his fault then.

Scott5114

I think there's just not as many people familiar with stoplights as there are other aspects of roadgeekery. I have no idea what brand of signals Norman uses.

Maybe you could post a "field guide to spotting signals" to see if that sparks any interest. ("This is a Durasig, you can tell because of X feature, this is an Eagle...") If you can't get anyone posting about signals, it might be because they simply feel like they don't know enough to post.

Don't get mad at me for this comment, but I mean road signs are road signs. They are green, yellow, and red; and some of them have turn arrows. I don't see how you could sit and possibly talk about road signs for days, months, or even years. That is probably why this forum has 494,784 posts in 18,172 topics by 3,085 members.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 03, 2017, 06:39:12 PM
That is probably why this forum has 494,784 posts in 18,172 topics by 3,085 members.

Only 1,606 members have posted. The other 1,479 have never made a single post.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Alex

I would not be adverse to having a separate child board under General Highway Talk devoted to signals/traffic control devices. This would better separate that content out from general signing and other topics found under "traffic control". Plus if someone has zero interest in signals, they could "mark read" all posts within that subsection and better ignore the content.

US 41

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 03, 2017, 06:39:12 PM

Don't get mad at me for this comment, but I mean road signs are road signs. They are green, yellow, and red; and some of them have turn arrows. I don't see how you could sit and possibly talk about road signs for days, months, or even years. That is probably why this forum has 494,784 posts in 18,172 topics by 3,085 members.

Well this forum doesn't just cover "stop lights" either. And it doesn't cover just "signs". It covers everything about roads. That's why it has 1606 people that have actually made a post. If we just covered signs we might have 50 people that have actually made a post and like 7 people that actually post regularly.

Quote from: Alex on January 04, 2017, 09:51:06 AM
I would not be adverse to having a separate child board under General Highway Talk devoted to signals/traffic control devices.

I'd be cool with that.

english si

Quote from: US 41 on January 02, 2017, 01:30:49 PMI don't really think there is another "highway forum" that is as popular as this one, but I'm not 100% sure of that either.
SABRE has 868383 posts and 4280 members. However that is over a longer time than here.

The Dutch Wegenforum, German AutobahnOnline and French SARA are also fairly popular, but not on the level of the Anglophonic sites IIRC. SSC is great for news, broadbrush discussion and local discussion, but I wouldn't call its roads discussions as being part of the hobbyist scene - most of the people are non-roadgeeks.

hbelkins

If the OP has been banned from the other forum, the simple solution is to go get another free email address and sign up under another name. And avoid the behavior that got him banned once he gets his new account.

traffic light guy

Quote from: hbelkins on January 04, 2017, 11:17:28 AM
If the OP has been banned from the other forum, the simple solution is to go get another free email address and sign up under another name. And avoid the behavior that got him banned once he gets his new account.
I tried that, and I got caught four times by the moderator

Alps

Quote from: traffic light guy on January 04, 2017, 04:53:05 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 04, 2017, 11:17:28 AM
I tried that, and I got caught four times by the moderator
recommendation: change IP

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.