News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

opspe

New Limited Visibility sign in Vancouver, BC (stamped CoV 2016).  Design looks like it's based on Quebec's D-240-2, but with a tab below.

Compare with the old standard below, also from Vancouver, dated 2014 I think.  Also note the unusual speed tab - technically that's not an advisory speed, that's a tab-size speed limit.  I think I've only ever seen one other instance of that, and it was white instead of yellow.

machias

Spotted this sign on I-25 NB in Colorado this past weekend. I didn't find a lot of lettering oddities in Colorado while traveling around, but the selection of letters, especially in "Rocky Mtn" grabbed my eye.

slorydn1

Quote from: upstatenyroads on May 31, 2016, 06:20:21 PM

Spotted this sign on I-25 NB in Colorado this past weekend. I didn't find a lot of lettering oddities in Colorado while traveling around, but the selection of letters, especially in "Rocky Mtn" grabbed my eye.

All I'm seeing is the placeholder for the picture....

Of course after waiting 5 minutes for it to load I type this and then it loads #gofigure
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

jakeroot

Quote from: slorydn1 on May 31, 2016, 06:27:29 PM

Of course after waiting 5 minutes for it to load I type this and then it loads #gofigure

It was very slow loading for me as well. Must be Upstate NY's servers.

machias

Quote from: jakeroot on May 31, 2016, 07:57:13 PM
Quote from: slorydn1 on May 31, 2016, 06:27:29 PM

It was very slow loading for me as well. Must be Upstate NY's servers.

I attached a lower quality image.

thenetwork

That sign is a CRaiG CoUntY wannabe.  That and it should be a brown recreation sign, no?  All references to RMNP on I-70 are on brown signage.

roadfro

Quote from: thenetwork on June 01, 2016, 01:26:30 AM
That sign is a CRaiG CoUntY wannabe.  That and it should be a brown recreation sign, no?  All references to RMNP on I-70 are on brown signage.
It doesn't have to be a brown rec guide sign, especially if Estes Park isn't a recreational area (I'm not familiar with it).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on June 01, 2016, 02:57:58 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on June 01, 2016, 01:26:30 AM

It doesn't have to be a brown rec guide sign, especially if Estes Park isn't a recreational area (I'm not familiar with it).

Could they have used a half green/half brown sign? WSDOT has quite a few of these on overhead gantries.

rarnold

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

noelbotevera

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

tckma

Quote from: noelbotevera on June 02, 2016, 11:35:56 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 02, 2016, 02:32:38 AM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/26803725433/

This one has to be very odd and interesting and might even be unique.
What road are they talking about there?

None is needed.  Disney World extracts a hefty toll from everyone who visits.

Might be Ossecola Parkway.

Kacie Jane

jbnv

Check out this unusual service mileage sign. It's on the wrong side of the highway and advertises exits that are several miles away. The intended audience: Drivers who would be using the left lanes to go north (contraflow) during a hurricane evacuation.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

roadman65

Quote from: noelbotevera on June 02, 2016, 11:35:56 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 02, 2016, 02:32:38 AM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/26803725433/

This one has to be very odd and interesting and might even be unique.
What road are they talking about there?
Good question and its the Osceola Parkway.  Its looking NB on Poinciana Blvd. at the actually roadway above and the tolled WB ramp just under the underpass.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tckma

Quote from: jbnv on June 02, 2016, 05:27:02 PM
Check out this unusual service mileage sign. It's on the wrong side of the highway and advertises exits that are several miles away. The intended audience: Drivers who would be using the left lanes to go north (contraflow) during a hurricane evacuation.

That IS interesting... Are those guaranteed service points though?  As in, they'll be open, and won't run out of gas or food because they'll be governmentally supplied during an emergency evacuation requiring contraflow lane usage?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: tckma on June 03, 2016, 12:45:47 PM

That IS interesting... Are those guaranteed service points though?  As in, they'll be open, and won't run out of gas or food because they'll be governmentally supplied during an emergency evacuation requiring contraflow lane usage?

How does anyone guarantee any of those things will be available?  If the electric is out, there's not much they can do if they don't have generators.  If a gas station runs out of gas, it's not like they have a direct line into an oil field to pump more in.

They're service signs.  Not emergency shelters.

opspe

This one is in northwest Portland, posted at either end of NW 29th Av between Raleigh and Savier.  I think it's a PBOT custom design, because I've never seen them elsewhere.

jbnv

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 03, 2016, 12:53:32 PM
Quote from: tckma on June 03, 2016, 12:45:47 PM

How does anyone guarantee any of those things will be available?  If the electric is out, there's not much they can do if they don't have generators.  If a gas station runs out of gas, it's not like they have a direct line into an oil field to pump more in.

They're service signs.  Not emergency shelters.

They're the only two exits between Hammond and the state line that have an appreciable number of services (the towns of Amite and Kentwood). I suspect that state and parish police would close off all of the southbound on-ramps other than these two to keep people from entering the interstate into contraflowing traffic.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

kphoger

Is Wichita the only place with this much overkill for frontage road signage?
https://goo.gl/maps/nC5WxzpRts82
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jbnv

kphoger

Quote from: jbnv on June 04, 2016, 03:34:12 PM
Quote from: kphoger on June 04, 2016, 02:46:19 PM

No.

But that's the opposite situation:  exit signage from a major highway.  Texas would be full of examples like that, where no route number is assigned to an exit.  My example is signage on a surface street.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jbnv

Quote from: kphoger on June 04, 2016, 03:40:28 PM

No.

But that's the opposite situation:  exit signage from a major highway.  Texas would be full of examples like that, where no route number is assigned to an exit.  My example is signage on a surface street.

You didn't clarify that you're referring specifically to signage on the frontage road itself.

Is this a one-off or one of many such signs? Perhaps there is a good reason to call that much attention to the frontage road at that particular point.

The example I posted is definitely an example of overkill. This is not an exit but an ordinary intersection. There is no justification for signing this intersection like an exit, especially with an overhead gantry.

hotdogPi

MA 28 at I-495, Exit 41 has overhead signs. MA 28 is not a frontage road, but it is a surface road here. The entrance to I-495 has "Exit ->" signs.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

Quote from: jbnv on June 04, 2016, 04:03:23 PM
Quote from: kphoger on June 04, 2016, 03:40:28 PM

No.

You didn't clarify that you're referring specifically to signage on the frontage road itself.

Is this a one-off or one of many such signs? Perhaps there is a good reason to call that much attention to the frontage road at that particular point.

The example I posted is definitely an example of overkill. This is not an exit but an ordinary intersection. There is no justification for signing this intersection like an exit, especially with an overhead gantry.

Not a one-off. No good reason for the overkill; trust me, it's less than a mile from my house.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.