Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

An unusual Pedestrian Crossing sign in Hernando Beach, Florida.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Blue_Pelican_Marina.JPG

I should've taken this one myself.

tckma

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on August 09, 2017, 06:50:23 PM
I actually like this sign and idea:

Saw it in the south end of New Britain, CT today (August 9, 2017).

It's missing "WORK ZONE - ROAD USE RESTRICTED - STATE LIABILITY LIMITED - CT LAW 138947812.2359812348.1395 PARA 3.4175734a et. seq." that is omnipresent on orange construction signs in Connecticut, isn't it?

JKRhodes

https://goo.gl/maps/ZLRUHocCcVP2

This intersection warning sign in Tucson, AZ has a supplemental plaque that says "303 FT," a rather precise number. Unfortunately the street view image fell victim to google's blurring algorithm. I have a picture of it on my phone, just need to find a reliable hosting service.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: roadiejay on August 11, 2017, 08:43:55 PM

This intersection warning sign in Tucson, AZ has a supplemental plaque that says "303 FT," a rather precise number. Unfortunately the street view image fell victim to google's blurring algorithm. I have a picture of it on my phone, just need to find a reliable hosting service.
I'd recommend Flickr or Imgur.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

hotdogPi

Quote from: freebrickproductions on August 11, 2017, 09:44:04 PM
Quote from: roadiejay on August 11, 2017, 08:43:55 PM

I'd recommend Flickr or Imgur.

Definitely Flickr. Flickr allows editing the description, tags, etc. of an image in a public album without having to delete the album first. On Imgur, doing any of these requires deleting the album. Not only that, but pictures can't be added to a public album without deleting the album and re-uploading the whole album with the newly added pictures.

Also, Imgur has a problem with downvotes; almost all photographs get downvoted. (Internet memes get upvoted; almost everything else, like photographs or screenshots, gets downvoted.) Flickr does not have an upvote/downvote system, so it is not a problem there.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

jakeroot

Quote from: 1 on August 11, 2017, 09:52:58 PM
Flickr allows editing the description, tags, etc. of an image in a public album without having to delete the album first. On Imgur, doing any of these requires deleting the album. Not only that, but pictures can't be added to a public album without deleting the album and re-uploading the whole album with the newly added pictures.

None of that is true. Not a single thing you wrote (in relation to Imgur).

Also, Imgur has a problem with downvotes; almost all photographs get downvoted. (Internet memes get upvoted; almost everything else, like photographs or screenshots, gets downvoted.) Flickr does not have an upvote/downvote system, so it is not a problem there.

If this keeps you from using the service, you should see a psychologist.

Use Flickr if you want to hit a thousand buttons before trying to upload. Use Imgur if you just want to upload images to share *somewhere else*. (Imgur has drag+drop uploads, so super-fast to share).

Credit where credit's due: Flickr has a much friendlier social-interaction interface. But unless you use that aspect of the site, it's a waste of time.

MNHighwayMan

If we're talking about construction project signs, here's one for St. Louis County, MN. I saw a few of these around last month:

D-Dey65

freebrickproductions

"We didn't make the sign wide enough for the longer street name! What should we do?"
"Just reduce the kerning on that line. No-one will notice."
Memorial Parkway (US 231) Southbound, Huntsville, AL - 8-10-17
Inconsistent Kerning by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

thenetwork

Quote from: freebrickproductions on August 12, 2017, 09:16:32 PM
"We didn't make the sign wide enough for the longer street name! What should we do?"

And if anyone really takes notice, lets off-balance the letter "S" in Spring, to really piss them off!!!

jakeroot

I despise this, but is it uncommon? I see it every now and then in Washington.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: thenetwork on August 13, 2017, 10:30:39 AM

And if anyone really takes notice, lets off-balance the letter "S" in Spring, to really piss them off!!!
I didn't even notice that! :ded:

Quote from: jakeroot on August 13, 2017, 03:15:36 PM

First time I've ever seen it. It certainly fits the "Odd" and/or "Ugly" categories for the thread, that's for sure.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

Quote from: freebrickproductions on August 13, 2017, 03:43:44 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on August 13, 2017, 03:15:36 PM

First time I've ever seen it. It certainly fits the "Odd" and/or "Ugly" categories for the thread, that's for sure.

Absolutely. Completely hideous. Just make the sign wider, guys!

Example near me: https://goo.gl/KPFYDg

chays

Apologies if this is a repost.

Ran across this in my browsing.  I appreciate the detailed nature of this sign.

Scott5114

Set it to show to "just me" instead of "everyone" and people will only be able to see it if they're given the link, so no up/downvotes. If you set it to display to "everyone", it gets posted to the social-media-ish part of the site. You wouldn't want to see photos from people you don't know on your Facebook feed, either.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

KEVIN_224

Andrews Street in New Britain (CT) has now been repaved. The sign I linked a few days ago is now gone. Anyways, speaking of signs in this worn industrial city, this neat little one went up by Broad Street a few days ago:

BABCIA is Polish for grandmother. It's in the Little Poland neighborhood, immediately north of our downtown.

SignGeek101

https://goo.gl/maps/cz7stnCQY2N2

Found this oddity. A new (installed between Aug 2015 and Aug 2016) I-19 metric sign, written in series EEM.

cjk374

Quote from: SignGeek101 on August 20, 2017, 02:08:46 AM

Found this oddity. A new (installed between Aug 2015 and Aug 2016) I-19 metric sign, written in series EEM.

I never saw the metric sign, but I found something up the road that was odd (to me, not being familiar with AZ signing practices):

I-19

http://maps.google.com/maps?layer=c&panoid=yYBJ4WiOnDU7hCANaxiC6A&cbp=1%2C121.83321%2C%2C3.0%2C7.183922

First weird thing...a frontage road with a milepost...in this case, MP 34. So I start thinking this is a state highway playing the role of a frontage road, especially since the next exit on I-19 is 56.

But then I see milepost 34 posted alongside the fence, facing perpendicular to I-19. Then I look to the other side of I-19 and see another MP 34 facing me. Can someone explain this odd use of mileposts?

The other weird thing Google will have to answer: Irishes in Support of Whipple? (from the litter patrol sign posted on the frontage road)  :hmmm:  :confused:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

thenetwork

Quote from: cjk374 on August 20, 2017, 08:06:12 AM

I never saw the metric sign, but I found something up the road that was odd (to me, not being familiar with AZ signing practices):

I-19

http://maps.google.com/maps?layer=c&panoid=yYBJ4WiOnDU7hCANaxiC6A&cbp=1%2C121.83321%2C%2C3.0%2C7.183922

First weird thing...a frontage road with a milepost...in this case, MP 34. So I start thinking this is a state highway playing the role of a frontage road, especially since the next exit on I-19 is 56.

But then I see milepost 34 posted alongside the fence, facing perpendicular to I-19. Then I look to the other side of I-19 and see another MP 34 facing me. Can someone explain this odd use of mileposts?

The km markers along I-19 are posted in the traditional way ala mile markers -- facing traffic.  For whatever reason, the distance in miles is posted as well, but posted on the fences to avoid confusion with the metric km posts. 

cjk374

Quote from: thenetwork on August 20, 2017, 09:59:44 AM

I-19

The km markers along I-19 are posted in the traditional way ala mile markers -- facing traffic.  For whatever reason, the distance in miles is posted as well, but posted on the fences to avoid confusion with the metric km posts. 

So the exit numbers are based on the metric system...very interesting. Is this statewide or just I-19?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hotdogPi

Quote from: cjk374 on August 20, 2017, 10:25:25 AM
So the exit numbers are based on the metric system...very interesting. Is this statewide or just I-19?

Just I-19.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

J N Winkler

Quote from: cjk374 on August 20, 2017, 08:06:12 AMI never saw the metric sign, but I found something up the road that was odd (to me, not being familiar with AZ signing practices):

I-19

The milepost is actually on mainline I-19, not the frontage road, but turned 90° in plan so that it faces the roadway centerline rather than traffic.  The generally accepted (but not, as far as I am aware, officially confirmed) explanation for dual-posting of mileposts and km-posts on I-19 in this fashion is to allow mileposting to be reinstated simply by unscrewing each milepost panel and moving it to the side that faces traffic.  (The square posts Arizona DOT uses for small signs have perforations both front to back and side to side.)

I-19 was originally signed in English units but changed to metric in 1981, as an experiment.  The original 1981 signs were replaced, not quite in kind but also with metric units, in 1999.  They are due for replacement and Arizona DOT has expressed the desire to return to English units, but seems to have backed away from this plan due to local complaints.  Speed limit and advisory speed signs have been left in English units, presumably for enforceability (though this explanation has also not been officially confirmed).  The original 1981 signing plans have drawings for metric speed limit and advisory speed signs and it has been claimed that these were posted very briefly in 1981, but I have not seen photographic proof.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

SignGeek101

Quote from: cjk374 on August 20, 2017, 10:25:25 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on August 20, 2017, 09:59:44 AM

I-19

Exit numbers and signs are almost completely metric. Most of the signs are old, button copy signs that are due to be replaced according to ADOT. There are a couple Clearview metric signs near the northern terminus:

https://goo.gl/maps/DtoxBhBrx4m

https://goo.gl/maps/i54mLm4QLe22

I've always found I-19 to be interesting.

roadfro

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 20, 2017, 11:46:08 AM
Quote from: cjk374 on August 20, 2017, 08:06:12 AMI never saw the metric sign, but I found something up the road that was odd (to me, not being familiar with AZ signing practices):

I-19

The milepost is actually on mainline I-19, not the frontage road, but turned 90° in plan so that it faces the roadway centerline rather than traffic. The generally accepted (but not, as far as I am aware, officially confirmed) explanation for dual-posting of mileposts and km-posts on I-19 in this fashion is to allow mileposting to be reinstated simply by unscrewing each milepost panel and moving it to the side that faces traffic.   

That Street View link didn't really do the original comment justice... If you back up a step and jump to the frontage road in Street View, you'll see the mileposts on the Frontage Road (and still see the mainline milepost turned as described.

The sideways milepost is still interesting though, and the explanation makes sense.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

thenetwork

Quote from: roadfro on August 20, 2017, 12:56:02 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on August 20, 2017, 11:46:08 AM

I-19

The milepost is actually on mainline I-19, not the frontage road, but turned 90° in plan so that it faces the roadway centerline rather than traffic. The generally accepted (but not, as far as I am aware, officially confirmed) explanation for dual-posting of mileposts and km-posts on I-19 in this fashion is to allow mileposting to be reinstated simply by unscrewing each milepost panel and moving it to the side that faces traffic.   

That Street View link didn't really do the original comment justice... If you back up a step and jump to the frontage road in Street View, you'll see the mileposts on the Frontage Road (and still see the mainline milepost turned as described.

The sideways milepost is still interesting though, and the explanation makes sense.

Ironic that for a supposedly "all-metric" highway, I don't believe I ever saw any speed limit/advisory signs with km-only or dual km/MPH listings, at least from I-10 down to just south of Tubac, this spring.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.