News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csw

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on September 16, 2017, 04:38:56 PM

I don't think I've seen this in the MUTCD (east of Pulaski, TN)

That is the first time I have ever seen this sign. We have nothing but the all-text CHURCH signs around here....and LOTS of them!
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on September 16, 2017, 07:06:53 PM

Kentucky has used CHURCH diamond warning signs in the past. Now they'll typically use a "side road" sign with a "CHURCH" plate underneath it.

That particular sign looks like it was conceived by someone who considers baseball to be a religion.

Well, Arkansas does worship at the altar of the big red pig ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Michael

I saw these signs at the end of a road yesterday afternoon near Elbridge, NY.  I've never seen anything like it before.

J N Winkler

Area Speed Limit signs are NYSDOT standard for custom speed zones:  there is one around Saratoga National Historical Park.  Occasionally I see the MUTCD-standard Speed Limit 55 sign used in lieu of State Speed Limit 55 (e.g., on NY 30 just south of Speculator), and I have wondered if this is intended as a signal that the road in question has actually been upgraded to handle the posted speed comfortably.  A State Speed Limit 55 sign is, in contrast, a de facto rural derestriction sign.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SectorZ

Advanced irregular pentagon ahead?

xcellntbuy

thenetwork

roadfro

That's because it's not in the MUTCD...

Not sure why somebody would go and make up this symbol, when a text "CHURCH" warning is easier to fabricate and likely more readily understood.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

What exactly is the purpose of a church sign, anyways? I've never seen the MUTCD-spec version (with text "CHURCH") in my life.

A better symbol would be the irregular polygon as-is, with the Latin-/Christian-cross placed on top of the roof (rather than within the "building"). Assuming the sign is necessary at all.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: jakeroot on September 17, 2017, 11:53:22 PM
What exactly is the purpose of a church sign, anyways? I've never seen the MUTCD-spec version (with text "CHURCH") in my life.

A better symbol would be the irregular polygon as-is, with the Latin-/Christian-cross placed on top of the roof (rather than within the "building"). Assuming the sign is necessary at all.
I seem to recall that being the standard symbol for a church sign in Tennessee. Also, I'm pretty sure they were to warn of higher amounts of pedestrians in an area due to there being a church located there. A standard ped crossing sign works just as well, which is probably why the church sign was removed from the MUTCD, if I had to guess.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

cjk374

Quote from: jakeroot on September 17, 2017, 11:53:22 PM

Same reason for the text versions of HOSPITAL, NURSING HOME, PLANT ENTRANCE, TRUCK CROSSING (or entering, or entering & exiting highway)...warning you of possible slow moving traffic conditions.

Especially if you are in a new area, the CHURCH sign comes in handy when you are taking a Sunday drive. Any other day of the week it could be a wedding or funeral to watch out for.

formulanone

plain

Quote from: Michael on September 16, 2017, 09:05:27 PM
I saw these signs at the end of a road yesterday afternoon near Elbridge, NY.  I've never seen anything like it before.

When I panned left in that image I couldn't help but notice that low clearance sign (9'-6"!!)...even the Google vehicle wouldn't go down that street. Must be a hell of an underpass
Newark born, Richmond bred

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

plain

^What's that red & yellow sign for? Is it supposed to increase the visibility of the children sign or something?

Also, while playing around on Google Maps in the area of Michael's Elbridge, NY example, I followed the railroad tracks east to the next street then south and saw this, another low clearance sign. This time it says "underpass" on a yellow diamond and has the measurements on a separate white sign below it (7'-6"!!!!!!)

https://goo.gl/maps/SsWYDdfAkFG2

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on September 18, 2017, 09:24:22 AM
There is also this

How many signs using u-channel posts have you ever seen concreted in the ground?

chays

Someone got too happy with clip art.
Also, the middle panel seems to be slightly detached due to Hurricane Irma.

Michael

@JN: Having lived in NY all my life, I never thought the Area Speed Limit signs were weird.  I thought it was odd that they decided to use two double-arrow plaques to save the cost of two more signs and posts (one pair per direction).

@plain: I was riding with our college/young adult church group leader to an event in Syracuse.  He went down some back roads south of Elbridge to avoid the construction at NY 5 and Hamilton Rd.  We went under the bridge, and not only is it short, it's also one lane, in a dip, and on a curve!  Our leader has a daughter that works in Syracuse, and she won't go the way we went because she had a car half in her lane on a curve.  She's not sure what curve it was, but we assume it was the one under the bridge.  I told her I don't blame her for not going that way!  The bridge was pretty short, but in NY, state law requires low bridges to be posted one foot shorter than they actually are.  I wonder what the 7' 6" bridge is like!

thefraze_1020

Quote from: chays on September 18, 2017, 03:27:10 PM

I would consider this "worst of" worthy.
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

adventurernumber1

I've seen the warning signs with "CHURCH" spelled out on it, but I have never in my life seen anything like that.  :crazy:

It does look much more like a gravestone, and it also resembles something in relation to baseball.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

adventurernumber1

Quote from: chays on September 18, 2017, 03:27:10 PM

That reminds me of a certain something, but it doesn't even remotely compare to it in terms of how undeniably horrifying and absolutely hilarious it is. See here: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=13623.0

Quote from: jwolfer on October 04, 2014, 12:14:11 PM
This is a horrible version done by Putnam County on the southbound side of CR 315.. No attempt to even be remotely close to the real thing.

Fixed the image code. -rmf67

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

machias

plain

Quote from: Michael on September 18, 2017, 09:07:11 PM
@JN: Having lived in NY all my life, I never thought the Area Speed Limit signs were weird.  I thought it was odd that they decided to use two double-arrow plaques to save the cost of two more signs and posts (one pair per direction).

@plain: I was riding with our college/young adult church group leader to an event in Syracuse.  He went down some back roads south of Elbridge to avoid the construction at NY 5 and Hamilton Rd.  We went under the bridge, and not only is it short, it's also one lane, in a dip, and on a curve!  Our leader has a daughter that works in Syracuse, and she won't go the way we went because she had a car half in her lane on a curve.  She's not sure what curve it was, but we assume it was the one under the bridge.  I told her I don't blame her for not going that way!  The bridge was pretty short, but in NY, state law requires low bridges to be posted one foot shorter than they actually are.  I wonder what the 7' 6" bridge is like!

It looks like a short tunnel under the tracks. I'm definitely not too keen about driving under something like this after you described that other underpass. Here's the location, naturally there's no Street View here either

https://goo.gl/maps/RWYrrh4P5t42

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.