News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Fictional Municipality/County Changes

Started by NWI_Irish96, October 05, 2022, 03:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreySamson

Quote from: Poiponen13 on November 22, 2022, 12:13:36 PM
Like Quebec Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!, some places could have exclamation and questionmarks. Like:
Wait, this gives me an idea...

Behold!
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Poiponen13

Cities shall not cross county lines in any state.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 21, 2023, 11:52:01 AM
I actually agree with this. Multicounty cities have never made much sense to me. And how do the city governments deal with being in 2 counties?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

GaryV

It seems to work in NYC.

Also there are instances in Michigan, Holland probably being the largest.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: GaryV on February 21, 2023, 11:54:01 AM
It seems to work in NYC.

Also there are instances in Michigan, Holland probably being the largest.
Well technically NYC is more like a collection of counties that form a city. I was more talking about like your Michigan example. No towns or cities are in multiple counties in Massachusetts.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

mgk920

Lots of multi-county cities in Wisconsin and Illinois.

Mike

kphoger

I'd probably just merge some counties together in states where they're fairly small.

Something like this:

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on February 21, 2023, 12:49:07 PM
I'd probably just merge some counties together in states where they're fairly small.

Something like this:

I don't love the idea of merging big urban counties which already have lots of people with many small rural counties. And I don't love that county gore with Topeka stretching to the KC suburbs.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 21, 2023, 01:01:34 PM
I don't love the idea of merging big urban counties which already have lots of people with many small rural counties. And I don't love that county gore with Topeka stretching to the KC suburbs.

Counties already have both urban areas and rural areas in them.  For example, Sedgwick County has Wichita, but it also has Clearwater, Cheney, and Bentley.  What problem do you foresee that you wouldn't like?

Why shouldn't Topeka's county extend to the edge of the KC suburbs?  I chose that particular boundary precisely because Leavenworth County doesn't really have much "KC suburbs" in it at all–just Lansing, really, and that's pushing the definition of a suburb.

At any rate, it was a quick-and-dirty revamp.  My point is just that I'd prefer larger counties like that.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Poiponen13

Quote from: kphoger on February 21, 2023, 01:14:20 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 21, 2023, 01:01:34 PM

Counties already have both urban areas and rural areas in them.  For example, Sedgwick County has Wichita, but it also has Clearwater, Cheney, and Bentley.  What problem do you foresee that you wouldn't like?

Why shouldn't Topeka's county extend to the edge of the KC suburbs?  I chose that particular boundary precisely because Leavenworth County doesn't really have much "KC suburbs" in it at all–just Lansing, really, and that's pushing the definition of a suburb.

At any rate, it was a quick-and-dirty revamp.  My point is just that I'd prefer larger counties like that.
Wichita should be consolidated with Sedgwick County, creating city with many rural areas.

kphoger

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 21, 2023, 01:29:00 PM
Wichita should be consolidated with Sedgwick County, creating city with many rural areas.

Sounds more like you're just getting rid of cities, but keeping counties.
Male pronouns, please.

hobsini2

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 21, 2023, 11:53:06 AM
I actually agree with this. Multicounty cities have never made much sense to me. And how do the city governments deal with being in 2 counties?
It's not as difficult as you think. Aurora IL, while mostly in Kane County, does stretch into DuPage, Kendall and Will Counties.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Scott5114

Cities with many rural areas are a bad idea because the city has to choose one of two options:
1. The city is obliged to extend trash collection, water, and sewer services out into the rural areas, which is very expensive, so taxes have to be raised, which makes people angry.
2. The city instead decides to limit trash collection, water, and sewer services to only a subset of the city limits to limit expense. Everyone else has to either hire someone to pick up the trash or haul it away themselves, and install and maintain a well and septic system. Meanwhile they have to pay the same taxes everyone in the city does but get none of the benefits, which makes them angry.

But I don't expect you to say why it would be beneficial to put people through that, since that would take precious time away posting "I think [insert random phrase] should be done" and refusing to give any reason why.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CNGL-Leudimin

This is perhaps the most sensible thing said by this user so far. Here in Spain municipalities don't stretch over a provincial border, they belong to one and only one province (then there's the weird cases of Murillo and Santa Eulalia de Gallego, which are in the province of Zaragoza but due to how the provincial border is drawn they receive some services, if not most, from Huesca, another provincial capital), and this is the case for everywhere in Europe as far as I know. So I don't know how those municipalities in the USA that stretch over a county line deal with more than one of their superiors, that seems like unnecesary duplication.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Poiponen13

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 22, 2023, 03:12:41 AM

Cities with many rural areas are a bad idea because the city has to choose one of two options:
1. The city is obliged to extend trash collection, water, and sewer services out into the rural areas, which is very expensive, so taxes have to be raised, which makes people angry.
2. The city instead decides to limit trash collection, water, and sewer services to only a subset of the city limits to limit expense. Everyone else has to either hire someone to pick up the trash or haul it away themselves, and install and maintain a well and septic system. Meanwhile they have to pay the same taxes everyone in the city does but get none of the benefits, which makes them angry.

But I don't expect you to say why it would be beneficial to put people through that, since that would take precious time away posting "I think [insert random phrase] should be done" and refusing to give any reason why.
In China, there are cities with many rural areas.

kphoger

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 22, 2023, 12:52:58 PM

How does that contradict anything he said?
Male pronouns, please.

Poiponen13

Quote from: kphoger on February 22, 2023, 01:16:24 PM

What is in China, should also be in US.

hotdogPi

The "cities with many rural areas" in China are equivalent to making Rhode Island a single city. These cities are also higher-level subdivisions.

If somehow Rhode Island became a single city, I imagine its 39 cities and towns would still have the same functions they do now, as it needs to be divided somehow.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kphoger

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 22, 2023, 01:25:30 PM

That's your opinion.  Fine.  It still doesn't contradict anything he said.
Male pronouns, please.

GaryV

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 22, 2023, 01:25:30 PM

What is in China should also be in Finland.

kphoger

What is in US, should also be in Finland.
Male pronouns, please.

Poiponen13

Quote from: 1 on February 22, 2023, 01:27:28 PM
The "cities with many rural areas" in China are equivalent to making Rhode Island a single city. These cities are also higher-level subdivisions.

If somehow Rhode Island became a single city, I imagine its 39 cities and towns would still have the same functions they do now, as it needs to be divided somehow.
Chinese prefecture-level cities are divided to districts, counties and county-level cities, which are divided to subdistricts, towns and townships, which are divided to villages and residential communities. There should be more county equivalents in US which are not counties.

kphoger

There should be more brominated vegetable oil and red dye #40 in Finland.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.