What's the easternmost (US) pickup truck model name?

Started by kurumi, October 16, 2018, 11:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: Rothman on October 21, 2018, 12:06:17 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 20, 2018, 10:23:08 PM
The one in Maine is actually pronounced like "chalice,"  as far as I recall from the most recent time I was there.
Nah.  "Callous" is how they say it.

Entirely possible they were messing with us!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

Perhaps in Maine, but not in Vermont.  Ours is pronounced close to "callous" but more with an "i" at the end instead of an "ou".

hotdogPi

Quote from: froggie on October 23, 2018, 09:00:51 AM
Perhaps in Maine, but not in Vermont.  Ours is pronounced close to "callous" but more with an "i" at the end instead of an "ou".

That's probably a difference between how all words ending in -ous are pronounced, i.e. a difference of dialect only; both locations would probably both be pronounced the same for any particular person.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Rothman

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 22, 2018, 09:02:41 PM
The one in Maine is actually pronounced like "chalice,"  as far as I recall from the most recent time I was there.

I am just speaking from my experience with the folly that was the east-west highway proposal from Calais, ME to Plattsburgh, NY...which was even to tie into the Rooftop, and we all know what the status of that is.

(personal opinion emphasized)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Road Hog

I reckon the Tundra has the northernmost name locked up.

jon daly

Henry

Quote from: Road Hog on October 23, 2018, 10:26:57 AM
DUH!

Quote from: Rothman on October 23, 2018, 09:15:45 AM
The one in Maine is actually pronounced like “chalice,” as far as I recall from the most recent time I was there.

I am just speaking from my experience with the folly that was the east-west highway proposal from Calais, ME to Plattsburgh, NY...which was even to tie into the Rooftop, and we all know what the status of that is.

Perhaps this may be the reason why I cringe when people do not pronounce the name like the car (which I used to drive, BTW). For example, take Calais Campbell, who, IIRC, is the defensive end for the Jacksonville Jaguars. Every time I hear the announcers say his name ("ka-lay-is"), I just want to throw something at the TV and wonder how the hell his parents screwed it up so badly.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ghYHZ

Not a truck but east...Dad had a Pontiac 'Acadian' which was basically a Chevette.

PHLBOS

Quote from: ghYHZ on October 24, 2018, 12:11:31 PM
Not a truck but east...Dad had a Pontiac 'Acadian' which was basically a Chevette.
In the US market from 1981 through 1987; Pontiac's version of the Chevette was the T-1000 (1000 from '84 onward).  From 1962-1971, Arcadian was actually a separate Canadian-only GM brand using the Chevy II/Nova body.

More recently & even though such is a CUV; there is the GMC Arcadia Acadia.
Above-correction courtesy of ghYHZ
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ghYHZ

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 24, 2018, 01:54:10 PM
More recently & even though such is a CUV; there is the GMC Arcadia.

I think it's 'Acadia'....as in Acadia National Park.....which is getting quite far downeast in Maine

hbelkins

Quote from: Henry on October 24, 2018, 09:06:49 AM
Quote from: Road Hog on October 23, 2018, 10:26:57 AM
DUH!

Quote from: Rothman on October 23, 2018, 09:15:45 AM

Perhaps this may be the reason why I cringe when people do not pronounce the name like the car (which I used to drive, BTW). For example, take Calais Campbell, who, IIRC, is the defensive end for the Jacksonville Jaguars. Every time I hear the announcers say his name ("ka-lay-is"), I just want to throw something at the TV and wonder how the hell his parents screwed it up so badly.

So, how is the name of the animal pronounced? Shouldn't that be the pronunciation for both the car and the football team? I always thought that people who pronounce the car "Jag-you-are" are being pretentious. Same with "Porsh" vs. "Porsha."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

The VW Touareg is named after a north African tribe. I think that would count?

Technically, although it's named after the city (where I live in WA), or perhaps the nearby mountain, Tacoma is also the name of a suburb in Sydney, NSW.

EDIT: I see "US" in the title now. Guess my contributions won't count. I saw Ateca mentioned above but didn't see the whole comment.

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on October 24, 2018, 08:06:53 PM
So, how is the name of the animal pronounced? Shouldn't that be the pronunciation for both the car and the football team? I always thought that people who pronounce the car "Jag-you-are" are being pretentious. Same with "Porsh" vs. "Porsha."

Since the animal comes from a language in which the root word has three syllables, and the derived word has two, then something similar to "yag-whar" would be a closer pronunciation.

The pronunciation of the German car brand is named after someone's last name, so "Porsch-a" (although the final syllable sounds halfway like an "eh") would be correct.

At the end of the day, they're product names...and if the manufacturer says it's a Jag You War because it's a vehicle, not an animal, then that's the way the ball bounces. If it sells, then they shouldn't care what it's called by the owner.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.