Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on January 21, 2020, 11:59:28 AM
When you get to be in your 40's and 50's one whole year passes in a blink!   Just like Christmas 2020 will be here before you know and next summer will pass by in a matter of what was two days before.

Getting old sucks as you now have to move fast to plan things. Unlike teenage years which drag forever as I remember how long it took to go from 1980 to 1990 and from 2010 to 2020 went so damned fast.
In short; as one gets older, a year becomes a smaller percentage of one's life.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

Back on track, I am sort of glad to see new signage on the Parkway, but do miss the old.  In some cases with Exit 98 going SB the signs were overwhelming.  You had 3 main controls and 3 supplemental plus the Allaire State Park, and the Allaire Airport (if its not another new name as it was originally Monmouth Airport) plus Six Flags and the Aquarium in Camden.

Too bad NJ 166 could not have an exit  going SB even if its with CR 571.  You can't have everything even though it would help a lot.  Also a SPUI if not a flyover at NJ 37 as those cloverleaf ramps are not only outdated but dangerous.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

I think only one button copy sign remains on the GSP.... the advance for Exit 81 & 82 northbound just south of Exit 80. It survived the widening, but eventually they'll renumber Exit 82 to a standard A-B setup.

https://goo.gl/maps/8nTnvR5M2Ke4EpbJ7

In other news, the New Gretna express E-ZPass gantry is coming along. The toll plaza is in its final configuration, just have to get the actual gantries up at the plaza along with the advance signing as only the piers are done.

roadman65

Quote from: NJRoadfan on January 21, 2020, 10:46:22 PM
I think only one button copy sign remains on the GSP.... the advance for Exit 81 & 82 northbound just south of Exit 80. It survived the widening, but eventually they'll renumber Exit 82 to a standard A-B setup.

In other news, the New Gretna express E-ZPass gantry is coming along. The toll plaza is in its final configuration, just have to get the actual gantries up at the plaza along with the advance signing as only the piers are done.

I am surprised 82-82A still exists after all the other setups being renumbered.

It is sad to see the old Birch Street overpass demolished.  Yes, I know it was not designed for the Parkway to be widened beneath it, but one of the last of the concrete arch bridges left.  I think the NB local lanes still has it at Exit 105 and County Route 547 passing under both local lanes in Tinton Falls is still with those types, but other than that I know of I think there are none other.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadrunner75

Quote from: roadman65 on January 21, 2020, 10:31:42 PM
Too bad NJ 166 could not have an exit  going SB even if its with CR 571.  You can't have everything even though it would help a lot.  Also a SPUI if not a flyover at NJ 37 as those cloverleaf ramps are not only outdated but dangerous.
That southbound exit (83) to 166/9/571 is coming...hopefully.   I went to a public information session about 3 years ago where they showed preliminary designs.  If I recall the ramp would exit right after the southbound tolls to a t-intersection with a light at 571 behind the CVS.  That exit is sorely needed in this area, and it would help take some load off 82 (Route 37).  I agree on a reconfiguration at 82 to eliminate the cloverleafs - That interchange is a weaving mess during evening rush hour.

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on January 21, 2020, 11:14:25 PM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on January 21, 2020, 10:46:22 PM

I am surprised 82-82A still exists after all the other setups being renumbered.

It is sad to see the old Birch Street overpass demolished.  Yes, I know it was not designed for the Parkway to be widened beneath it, but one of the last of the concrete arch bridges left.  I think the NB local lanes still has it at Exit 105 and County Route 547 passing under both local lanes in Tinton Falls is still with those types, but other than that I know of I think there are none other.

IIRC, they were holding off on replacing its signage until they do interchange improvements there and will roll the new signs into that. It is also why they didn't replace signage at 109, as they will do it as part of that interchange reconfiguration project.

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 21, 2020, 01:37:36 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 21, 2020, 11:59:28 AM
When you get to be in your 40's and 50's one whole year passes in a blink!   Just like Christmas 2020 will be here before you know and next summer will pass by in a matter of what was two days before.

Getting old sucks as you now have to move fast to plan things. Unlike teenage years which drag forever as I remember how long it took to go from 1980 to 1990 and from 2010 to 2020 went so damned fast.
In short; as one gets older, a year becomes a smaller percentage of one's life.

Age progresses like a phonograph record.  The closer you get to the end, the shorter the revolutions become.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Roadrunner75

Quote from: storm2k on March 04, 2020, 02:33:55 PM
IIRC, they were holding off on replacing its signage until they do interchange improvements there and will roll the new signs into that.
Have you actually heard about plans for interchange work at 82?  I'm only aware of the new southbound 83 exit.

Alps

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on March 04, 2020, 11:34:51 PM
IIRC, they were holding off on replacing its signage until they do interchange improvements there and will roll the new signs into that.
Have you actually heard about plans for interchange work at 82?  I'm only aware of the new southbound 83 exit.

I'm not aware of anything myself. If you were recalling my deleted post, I deleted it because I was thinking of 83.

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on March 05, 2020, 09:29:15 AM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on March 04, 2020, 11:34:51 PM

I'm not aware of anything myself. If you were recalling my deleted post, I deleted it because I was thinking of 83.

That's possible. I thought they were looking at improvements at 82 as well.

roadman65

Other states would have Exit 82 converted to either a SPUI or DDI.  Considering that SB loop ramp on 82 has been a danger for well over many decades (a half a century of modern drivers) that was not on the list before adding the Route 70 full interchange.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on March 07, 2020, 10:30:29 AM
Other states would have Exit 82 converted to either a SPUI or DDI.  Considering that SB loop ramp on 82 has been a danger for well over many decades (a half a century of modern drivers) that was not on the list before adding the Route 70 full interchange.

A DDI should only be considered if most traffic enters or exits the highway. The drastically limit thruput for those stating on the local road. A SPUI also adds what can be a long signal to an area where no signal exists now.

Flyover ramps would resolve some of the issue without creating a stop condition where none exists.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 07, 2020, 10:43:19 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 07, 2020, 10:30:29 AM

A DDI should only be considered if most traffic enters or exits the highway. The drastically limit thruput for those stating on the local road. A SPUI also adds what can be a long signal to an area where no signal exists now.

Flyover ramps would resolve some of the issue without creating a stop condition where none exists.

I agree with the flyover concept as that would work better especially SB to EB.   Yes many states ( I did not say I agree with them) would opt for a diamond or DDI or a SPUI.  And many states have added lights to places that never did before, which I find annoying. 

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: NE2 on March 07, 2020, 10:50:12 AM
PARCLO B4

Might work, but the loops must be made a lot loose than they are now.  Then a left turn signal would be needed on Route 37 for the left turns needed.  The flyovers would require property acquisition and create weaving for right turns at Route 166.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadrunner75

Quote from: roadman65 on March 07, 2020, 11:33:25 AM
Quote from: NE2 on March 07, 2020, 10:50:12 AM
PARCLO B4

Might work, but the loops must be made a lot loose than they are now.  Then a left turn signal would be needed on Route 37 for the left turns needed.  The flyovers would require property acquisition and create weaving for right turns at Route 166.
Without work on the bridge to widen 37 for double left turning lanes with enough stacking room, it's not going to work.  There's a lot of traffic that makes those movements from 37 WB  to GSP SB and EB to NB.  The Toms River has only two crossing points in the immediate area, and traffic can be heavy from the 37 corridor (big shopping district) to the towns to the south (significant personal experience as I pass through here at least twice a day and make this exact move frequently).  I think the Parclo A4 might actually work better without bridge reconstruction, even if it adds an additional light in each direction.  I don't think flyovers are realistically ever going to happen here.  The planned southbound 83 exit would definitely take a lot of load off this interchange in the evening though.

02 Park Ave

Has any section of the GSP ever been designated as Route 444?
C-o-H

storm2k

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on March 09, 2020, 10:40:59 AM
Has any section of the GSP ever been designated as Route 444?

That's the state's hidden designation for the entire highway. It's never been publicly signed as such, however.
445 is the Palisdades Pkwy
446 is the Atlantic City Expwy
700 is the Turnpike south of Exit 6

storm2k

Turnpike Authority has published a Public Notice for toll adjustments.

Highlights of proposed projects for the Parkway include:
- AET conversion. If there was ever a road that is ripe for that, it is the Parkway.
- Widening the express and local lanes in Monnmouth county (definitely needed)
- Widening the original Route 4 section in Middlesex and Union. That will be an undertaking and a half given all the bridges that will need to be replaced since they've wedged as many lanes as I think they can under most of them. And I don't know what they do about the conrail overpasses in Woodbridge.
- Widening from 142 to 153, though I'm going to be hard pressed to see where they can widen in those areas without massive property takings and it won't solve things in the cemetery between 144 and 145.
- Widening from 154 to 163. Probably much easier to do than in southern Essex.
- Completing missing movements for a bunch of old partial exits (6, 13, 17, 20, 29, 40, 123, 124, 147, 168). 83 is not on this list, but there is talk of widening the roadway there.

Will be interested to see some more of these details.

NJRoadfan

The public notice is very vague about what they actually want to widen. I suspect its widening to add full shoulders and 12ft lanes in areas that currently lack them. Ideally the whole GSP from Exit 129 to 145 (or beyond!) is ripe for some sort of managed lane setup. The demand is certainly there!

The whole thing reads like a wish list though, so only expect a few things on it to happen.

SignBridge

Where on the GSP are there not 12-foot lanes? The entire road was built from the 1950's on, so all lanes should have been built to those specs.

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on March 09, 2020, 07:57:44 PM
Where on the GSP are there not 12-foot lanes? The entire road was built from the 1950's on, so all lanes should have been built to those specs.
The entire 5-lane section is narrower because it's shoehorned in over a former 4-lane section. In fact, the arched overpasses in Union County were built for 3 lanes under each! (Hence the lack of shoulders.) I want to say there's another section somewhere up in Passaic as well, but don't quote me on anything outside Union.

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on March 09, 2020, 06:51:46 PM
The public notice is very vague about what they actually want to widen. I suspect its widening to add full shoulders and 12ft lanes in areas that currently lack them. Ideally the whole GSP from Exit 129 to 145 (or beyond!) is ripe for some sort of managed lane setup. The demand is certainly there!

The whole thing reads like a wish list though, so only expect a few things on it to happen.
Keep in mind that some number of these projects haven't been designed yet. There's nothing that indicates whether the whole project would be funded, some part of it, or just one or more phases of design, or even just a conceptual study. If you're interested to learn more about any particular one or what they plan to do in general with these, do pop into one of the public info sessions or - I don't have the poster in front of me - contact whoever at the NJTA it says to contact if you can't make it.

SignBridge

Thanks Alps. I assume the lanes are 9 to 10 feet wide in the five-lane area? I suppose it's marginally acceptable being as there are no heavy trucks on the Parkway that far north. Surprising though that the Authority was desperate enough for another lane that they would go narrower than 12 feet on an otherwise modern road.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SignBridge on March 09, 2020, 09:30:51 PM
Thanks Alps. I assume the lanes are 9 to 10 feet wide in the five-lane area? I suppose it's marginally acceptable being as there are no heavy trucks on the Parkway that far north. Surprising though that the Authority was desperate enough for another lane that they would go narrower than 12 feet on an otherwise modern road.

They certainly wouldn't be 9 feet wide. That wouldn't be safe in a 30 mph zone, much less a 55 mph zone.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.