Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on February 26, 2014, 06:13:15 PM
Quote from: Brian556 on February 26, 2014, 05:15:33 PM
This is just like those girls that change their hair color for no reason. They have a perfectly good hair color, and change it to something that looks like shit on them.
Only if those new colors give you a headache. Otherwise who gives a fuck?

"looks like shit" and "gives a headache" are two entirely different classes of color.

that, or Brian really needs to go see a doctor.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

on_wisconsin

No stability issues whatsoever here, BUT they got rid of the 45° aerial imagery, a nice feature (a Bird's Eye fighter) they had only added about a year ago. Because of that fact it tended to have the most up to date views as well.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

agentsteel53

Quote from: on_wisconsin on February 26, 2014, 06:34:46 PMa Bird's Eye fighter

I would love to have one of those.  I'm always constantly under attack by frozen peas.

jake@aaroads.com

Mr_Northside

I use it for work, and it's pretty unusable right now. 
Horrible.

I've been using Bing the last couple of days since.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

SSOWorld

Never had major problems in Firefox.  Google Chrome, however, MAJOR FUCKING HANGUPS running any Google Maps!!! One would think google's own software would run it best...
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Molandfreak

Where's the option for people who just hate how it looks/runs and don't have any browser trouble?

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=11696.0

I don't want to know what the fastest mode of transportation is to get somewhere. I just want my goddamn driving directions, which google maps used to be about.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Molandfreak

Quote from: roadman65 on February 26, 2014, 05:42:02 PM
Quote from: bugo on February 26, 2014, 05:07:38 PM
It's just like Flickr - they took a wonderful tool and made it into a fucking piece of shit.  I didn't mind paying for Flickr Pro and I didn't want to be switched to the buggy new interface.  Why do internet companies think they have to constantly change their products when there is nothing wrong with them in the first place?  Facebook, I'm looking at you.
Its called progress!  Things must change if it gets a few years old, whether broken or not.
Screw progress if it inconveniences the user. I didn't ask for this lightbox crap in new flickr, and I didn't ask for non-driving directions to be a priority in google maps.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Molandfreak on February 26, 2014, 07:41:06 PM
Screw progress if it inconveniences the user. I didn't ask for this lightbox crap in new flickr, and I didn't ask for non-driving directions to be a priority in google maps.

lightbox is inscrutably hieroglyphic.  it took me quite a while to figure out that the standard right-click-and-save had been replaced by "..."

that's worse than VCR level of intuitive.

but hey, at least Flickr takes about a minute and a half to crash.  that's way better than Google Maps.

jake@aaroads.com

Thing 342

Quote from: Zeffy on February 26, 2014, 04:01:52 PM
No problem. I'm not sure what the new Google Maps' problem is, but here's a fun fact: Memory usage of Firefox with Google Maps open and NO OTHER TABS:

604 MB!!!! THAT'S A SINGLE TAB!

Mine doesn't crash, but here's what usually ends up happening:
* It's always slow (always)
* City and town names disappear. Route shields disappear. All I fucking see is lines. And no matter what I do, until I refresh the page and rape my memory more, it won't fix itself.
* I get frustrated in Street View because it's so clunky

To be fair, Firefox is a notorious memory hog. Loading the new maps in Chrome took up just 80MB.

dgolub

I haven't had stalls or freezes, but I still like the old version better.

iwishiwascanadian

Has anyone switched back and taken the survey?

Alex

Not a big fan of the new Google maps either. Fortunately Internet Exploder still loads the old Google Maps for me, and I almost exclusively use that for Google Maps as it is.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Alex on February 26, 2014, 09:15:46 PM
Internet Exploder

BOOM!

Has anyone other than me and NE2 not autoswitched? (Maybe it's because we were both logged in at the time of the change.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

NE2

Quote from: 1 on February 26, 2014, 09:22:10 PM
Has anyone other than me and NE2 not autoswitched? (Maybe it's because we were both logged in at the time of the change.)
I never log into the Goog unless I need to edit my route log or mark a video as spam.

It's not the browser - I just loaded IE and it too has the old style. Maybe it's the OS (XP)?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hotdogPi

Quote from: NE2 on February 26, 2014, 09:31:32 PM
Quote from: 1 on February 26, 2014, 09:22:10 PM
I never log into the Goog unless I need to edit my route log or mark a video as spam.

It's not the browser - I just loaded IE and it too has the old style. Maybe it's the OS (XP)?

Mac 10.6.8.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Eth

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 26, 2014, 03:37:35 PM
as far as hidden designations, and new truck routes, and what have you... again, I physically cannot get that far.  it gulps down about one gigabyte of RAM in 10-15 seconds, which makes Flickr look like an Atari 2600.

That is...interesting, certainly.

No problems on my end - for what it's worth, as of this writing, the new Google Maps, Twitter, and this AARoads forum thread (all in Chrome) are combining to use a mere 174 MB of RAM.

vdeane

I didn't auto-switch either.  Still on the old one, and still will be no matter how much they prompt me (though my old Google account I did switch for testing purposes).  In my case, I suspect that Linux/ATI not getting along with WebGL has something to do with not switching.  Any attempt to use the new version forces me onto the "lite" version.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NE2

Hmmm. Everyone who's not getting switched go here: http://get.webgl.org/
I receive
QuoteHmm. While your browser seems to support WebGL, it is disabled or unavailable. If possible, please ensure that you are running the latest drivers for your video card.

Does WebGL have a point other than making a computer slow EMACS-style?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ET21

I had to look up about 50 cities to do a weather METAR coding map (METAR is coded weather data), and I had no issues whatsoever with it this afternoon.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

bugo

Quote from: roadman65 on February 26, 2014, 05:42:02 PM
Quote from: bugo on February 26, 2014, 05:07:38 PM
It's just like Flickr - they took a wonderful tool and made it into a fucking piece of shit.  I didn't mind paying for Flickr Pro and I didn't want to be switched to the buggy new interface.  Why do internet companies think they have to constantly change their products when there is nothing wrong with them in the first place?  Facebook, I'm looking at you.
Its called progress!  Things must change if it gets a few years old, whether broken or not.

Hi Steve Gum!

(steveg1988)

bandit957

You folks do realize you can switch back to "classic" Google Maps. I already did.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

KEVIN_224

they had me switched to the new version last week. I was able to switch back to the old version as mentioned above and it's fine. I use Mozilla Firefox here, in case that matters. :)

SteveG1988

Switching back to the old version is easy, the new one sucks on my laptop, mostly due to lag issues
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

myosh_tino

Quote from: iwishiwascanadian on February 26, 2014, 08:36:19 PM
Has anyone switched back and taken the survey?

I did!  I told them the new interface sucks big time and everything is slow as hell.  What used to take a single click now takes multiple clicks and getting the map to redraw because I panned or zoomed is painfully slow.  Will it make a difference?  Probably not.  I don't think Google gives a flying f*&k about those of us using traditional computers.  :angry:
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

kurumi

Not being able to remove labels (and street lines) on aerial view is annoying.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.