News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 98 re-extended to Natchez?

Started by usends, February 16, 2010, 02:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

Actually, my guess is these are errors on the part of whoever's responsible for signage at the newly-opened continuous-flow-intersection (considering that MS officially truncated US 98 to Bude in 1999, and just removed/changed US 98 signage between Bude and Washington in 2008).  I don't think MS has applied to AASHTO for an extension of US 98... anyone have any info on this?  These were all shot from southeastbound Junkin, approaching Sgt. Prentiss, except the last one is the confirming assembly on northeastbound Prentiss.  (Older signage at this intersection can be viewed on this page:) http://usends.com/Focus/Natchez/index.html

usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

froggie

Errors.  Not surprisingly.  No longer within range of Jackson so I can't check the signage plans, but I'd hazard a bet that they were simply replaced in-kind, without someone (either the contractor or the designer) bothering to check first...

usends

Quote from: froggie on February 16, 2010, 02:31:17 PM
...I'd hazard a bet that they were simply replaced in-kind...

That seems likely, but the surprising thing to me is that the signs they replaced didn't say "US 98"... they said "TO US 98".
http://usends.com/Focus/Natchez/index.html
Seems like if they were going off an existing-sign inventory, they would've caught that.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

US71

I caught these along the Natchez Parkway

Yet, down the road is this one:

Probably just sloppy work  :pan:

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Hot Rod Hootenanny

<shrugs>  I thought US 98 was only truncated to Washington (@ US 61).  That's what I enterpreted the signage as saying when I was last through there in October.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

US71

Quote from: osu-lsu on February 17, 2010, 01:08:02 AM
<shrugs>  I thought US 98 was only truncated to Washington (@ US 61).  That's what I interpreted the signage as saying when I was last through there in October.

Who knows? MDOT seems really wonky on their signing practices. Business 61 in Natchez no longer exists, yet is still signed in places.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

froggie

I have long noted that MDOT signage practice is inconsistent.  For another example:  it should be noted that the US 278 extension west from US 45, though approved in 1997, was not signed for close to 10 years.

As for US 98, after some further research, there is a discrepancy here.  MDOT publications (including their Selected Highway Statistics, which is as close to a route log as they get) denote the western terminus as Bude, and have done so for years.  However, AASHTO's US route log still shows it as the US 61/84/former-65/now-425 intersection in Natchez.  And there were no requests to AASHTO to truncate it to Bude.  In fact, dating back to 1989 I only saw 3 requests from Mississippi, period...extending US 278, and relocating US 45 and US 98 to the Meridian and Lucedale bypasses respectively.

So it's a case of which agency you choose to believe....MDOT, or AASHTO.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on February 17, 2010, 12:21:58 PM
So it's a case of which agency you choose to believe....MDOT, or AASHTO.

Given that MDOT is an official agency and AASHTO is not, I'd tend to go with the former.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.