News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Key West Road Stuff

Started by njroadhorse, February 28, 2010, 12:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njroadhorse

Hey guys!

So, I am taking a trip to Key West in April, and knowing that the only major road on the Keys is US 1, is there anything significant roadwise down there to look for?  We are flying into Miami, so we'll be driving down to the Keys from there. Anything that the webmasters would like captured? Let me know! Thanks.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

agentsteel53

there's a couple of old signs in Miami, and then south of there, after a while US-1 is the *only* route.  Make sure to check out the abandoned seven-mile bridge, which is parallel to the new seven-mile bridge.  They use the old one for filming movies and whatnot (see: True Lies)

the southernmost red US-1 shield I know of is in Miami, but if you find one further south, that would be great.

there is the obligatory beginning and end of US-1 (it's a one-way pair so the beginning is different than the end).  And of course the scenery. 

remember, speed kills key deer!  You won't be able to go much over 35 due to all the RVs clogging up the road, though.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

florida

In Tavernier, there should be that C-905 shield that's on a parallel side road to US 1, and also in Islamorada, too....if they're still up.
So many roads...so little time.

Alex

Justin and I drove extensively in the Keys in 2006 conducting research for a fold map. We drove several of the old alignments, but signage wise you are not going to find much outside of those C905 shields Florida mentioned. We went down in early May and surprisingly did not have many issues with RV's and otherwise slowly traveling vehicles...

The U.S. 1 work at Jewfish Creek should be completed, and I'd like to see photos of that. Not much else has probably changed in the last four years. See our page and U.S. 1 guides to take a look at what you will see.

20th Street represents an old section of Overseas Highway out to Boot Key. The alignment was partially overgrown and not really used when we took it. It may be worth checking out among others.

florida

Quote from: AARoads on February 28, 2010, 03:10:30 PM
20th Street represents an old section of Overseas Highway out to Boot Key. The alignment was partially overgrown and not really used when we took it. It may be worth checking out among others.

Speaking of that, another old alignment is CR 939 from Sugarloaf Key, south and southwestward tying into CR 941 on Boca Chica, which heads across the southern part of the island which then ties into Peninsular, Maloney and MacDonald Avenues on Stock Island to join current US 1.
So many roads...so little time.

bugo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 28, 2010, 12:38:27 PM
there is the obligatory beginning and end of US-1 (it's a one-way pair so the beginning is different than the end).  And of course the scenery. 

It's a 1 way pair?  It must have changed since 1998.

agentsteel53

Quote from: bugo on February 28, 2010, 04:55:21 PM
It's a 1 way pair?  It must have changed since 1998.

it was a one-way pair in April, 2006 when I was there.  I believe it ends on Duval St and begins on Whitehead St, but google maps seems to contradict me, labeling Whitehead St as two-way, with the US-1 designation.  So I am not quite sure what the situation is!

jake@aaroads.com

dfilpus

Streetview shows that US 1 comes southwest on Truman and turns northwest on Whitehead. There are directional signs in both directions at Whitehead and Truman and Start and End signs at Whitehead and Fleming.

bugo

Quote from: dfilpus on February 28, 2010, 06:42:06 PM
Streetview shows that US 1 comes southwest on Truman and turns northwest on Whitehead. There are directional signs in both directions at Whitehead and Truman and Start and End signs at Whitehead and Fleming.
That's how it was in 1998:

un1

US 1 between Miami and Key West was beautiful, but the traffic is terrible or at least compared to most two lane roads (however in my opinion Miami is worse). Though US 1 is by far my favourite spot in Florida, its soooo scenic.
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

Alps

Quote from: un1 on February 28, 2010, 09:23:40 PM
US 1 between Miami and Key West was beautiful, but the traffic is terrible or at least compared to most two lane roads (however in my opinion Miami is worse). Though US 1 is by far my favourite spot in Florida, its soooo scenic.
When I went that way (during spring break weekend, no less) the traffic was not that bad at all.  From Miami to Key Largo was a little heavy, but it moved pretty well beyond that.  Dunno when you went, but I don't see how much worse than spring break weekend it can be.  Anyway, living in NJ, I have a skewed perspective how what "heavily trafficked" is.

Alps

BTW - yes Whitehead is two way.  And every little bridge has an old alignment next to it, so stop and check out one or two of those on your way.  Old 7 Mile Bridge is neat, but no need to walk on it - Bahia Honda Bridge requires a toll to enter the park but you can walk out on top of the truss there, so your call.  Otherwise, they're all pretty much the same, little flat concrete two-lane bridges that don't carry traffic.  I spied one C-905 shield so they DO exist.  Then you can drive FL A1A while on Key West.

Alex

Quote from: AlpsROADS on March 01, 2010, 12:15:44 AM
BTW - yes Whitehead is two way.  And every little bridge has an old alignment next to it, so stop and check out one or two of those on your way.  Old 7 Mile Bridge is neat, but no need to walk on it - Bahia Honda Bridge requires a toll to enter the park but you can walk out on top of the truss there, so your call.  Otherwise, they're all pretty much the same, little flat concrete two-lane bridges that don't carry traffic.  I spied one C-905 shield so they DO exist.  Then you can drive FL A1A while on Key West.

Which was only signed at the east end in 2006. And C5A only had a substandard Walton County type sign for it from FL-A1A, that being a no parking sign blank with "C5A" written with in it. If you see any new signage for either route, I'll gladly update the page and host those photos on your behalf.

Sadly, the JCT and Divided Highway banners remained from when it was a "Keys" shield.

The lone FL-A1A reassurance shield posted at Key West.

J N Winkler

Google Maps says it is 163 miles from Miami to Key West.  My question:  how many stoplights are there between Key West and the most convenient freeway for accessing the Keys?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

TheStranger

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 01, 2010, 12:47:19 PM
Google Maps says it is 163 miles from Miami to Key West.  My question:  how many stoplights are there between Key West and the most convenient freeway for accessing the Keys?

Though I can't answer the stoplight question per se (having never been to Florida)...the nearest limited-access road to Key West looks to be the Homestead Extension of the Florida's Turnpike, 126 miles northeast from Key West.
Chris Sampang

Lyle

Quote from: AARoads on February 28, 2010, 03:10:30 PM
The U.S. 1 work at Jewfish Creek should be completed, and I'd like to see photos of that. Not much else has probably changed in the last four years.

I believe the whole stretch of U.S. 1 between Homestead and Key Largo has been rebuilt. When I was there last April, the Jewfish Creek Bridge was completed, and there was some widening work being done on the whole section north of it. OKRoads has some pictures of the completed bridges on http://www.flickr.com/photos/okroads/collections/72157611696256500, but I would like to see how the rest looks now.

xcellntbuy

The last "freeway" to the Keys would be the Palmetto Expressway, FL 826, then southbound on US 1 (South Dixie Highway) all the way to Homestead and Florida City.  MANY traffic lights, six lanes, all the way to the junction of FL 905--Card Sound Road, the original Overseas Highway to Upper Key Largo.

The only other limited access highway available is the Florida's Turnpike.  Traffic in Miami-Dade County is very low on Saturday mornings until about 10 or 11 am, then the usual insanity picks up quickly.

hm insulators

Quote from: AARoads on March 01, 2010, 12:11:01 PM
Quote from: AlpsROADS on March 01, 2010, 12:15:44 AM
BTW - yes Whitehead is two way.  And every little bridge has an old alignment next to it, so stop and check out one or two of those on your way.  Old 7 Mile Bridge is neat, but no need to walk on it - Bahia Honda Bridge requires a toll to enter the park but you can walk out on top of the truss there, so your call.  Otherwise, they're all pretty much the same, little flat concrete two-lane bridges that don't carry traffic.  I spied one C-905 shield so they DO exist.  Then you can drive FL A1A while on Key West.

Which was only signed at the east end in 2006. And C5A only had a substandard Walton County type sign for it from FL-A1A, that being a no parking sign blank with "C5A" written with in it. If you see any new signage for either route, I'll gladly update the page and host those photos on your behalf.

Sadly, the JCT and Divided Highway banners remained from when it was a "Keys" shield.

The lone FL-A1A reassurance shield posted at Key West.

Those are some big, beefy power poles in your second picture! Are they concrete or unpolished metal of some sort?
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Alex

Quote from: hm insulators on March 03, 2010, 12:00:00 PM

Those are some big, beefy power poles in your second picture! Are they concrete or unpolished metal of some sort?

I reedited both photos to 1024x768 pixels in width (scroll up; they are clickable for the larger size now). It appears those poles are concrete.

Most coastal areas in the southeast utilize concrete for the power poles due to the threat of hurricane winds.

realjd

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 01, 2010, 12:47:19 PM
Google Maps says it is 163 miles from Miami to Key West.  My question:  how many stoplights are there between Key West and the most convenient freeway for accessing the Keys?

Quote from: xcellntbuy on March 01, 2010, 06:02:27 PM
The last "freeway" to the Keys would be the Palmetto Expressway, FL 826, then southbound on US 1 (South Dixie Highway) all the way to Homestead and Florida City.  MANY traffic lights, six lanes, all the way to the junction of FL 905--Card Sound Road, the original Overseas Highway to Upper Key Largo.

Don't take the Palmetto. From the Miami airport, take the Dolphin (SR-836) west to the Turnpike and follow it south until it ends. Taking the Palmetto instead of the Turnpike will add at least half an hour or more to the trip. US-1 moves very slowly through that part of town.

As for stoplights, when the Turnpike ends at US-1, there are a few lights in Florida City, then nothing for about 20 miles until you reach Key Largo. That segment of road is called the "18 mile stretch", and it cuts through the edge of the Everglades. They've been rebuilding it over the past few years. The south end (including the new bridge over Jewfish Creek) is done, but the north part is still heavily under construction.

Key Largo is very suburban and has a number of lights, but traffic usually moves well because the road is 4 lanes. Past that, you'll have a handful of lights in Marathon, one on Big Pine Key, then pretty much nothing until you get closer to Key West. The speed limit alternates between 45 and 55, and it is very heavily policed. It usually takes about 2 hours to get from Key Largo to Key West.

Be sure to check out the old Bahia Honda Bridge, it's IMO the coolest one down there. They built the road deck on top of the railroad trusses. If you stop by the state park, you can actually climb up the old road alignment and  out onto a part of the bridge itself that the state turned into an observation platform.

Be patient on the drive. It's a 2-lane road most of the way, and traffic often moves at or below the limit. Enjoy the scenery and don't get worked up about it and you'll enjoy it much more. You'll get there eventually, even if you're stuck behind a slow driver. Besides, you're in the Keys, what's the rush?

bugo

Quote from: realjd on March 03, 2010, 04:36:24 PM
Be sure to check out the old Bahia Honda Bridge, it's IMO the coolest one down there. They built the road deck on top of the railroad trusses. If you stop by the state park, you can actually climb up the old road alignment and  out onto a part of the bridge itself that the state turned into an observation platform.
Picture taken in 1998:

realjd

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 28, 2010, 06:08:05 PM
it was a one-way pair in April, 2006 when I was there.  I believe it ends on Duval St and begins on Whitehead St, but google maps seems to contradict me, labeling Whitehead St as two-way, with the US-1 designation.  So I am not quite sure what the situation is!

I go down there several times each year and it's never been a one-way pair that I can remember. It's always gone down Truman, then a right turn onto Whitehead, ending in front of the courthouse.

There was an out of place US-1 sign on Fleming St. just east of Duval, last weekend when I was there. Also, on US-1 just "north" of Duval St, there's one of the last white guide signs remaining in Florida:

realjd

Alex

We sat on the end of the one Bahia Honda Bridge stub for a few minutes and took this pic:

More pics can be found on the US 1 Florida overview page.

agentsteel53

maybe that's why I remembered Duval Street for being distinctive.

gotta love the overhead white signs.  They're getting hard to find.  Especially the ones with colored shields on them.

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.