News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

WPLJ In NY calls it quits

Started by roadman65, May 08, 2019, 10:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

AM radio is only popular cause of Conservative Talk and religious.  Remember FM became popular only because of stereo and the fact that FM radios later no longer were an option in cars as it became standard.  Talk don't need no stereo and of course since the average Joe now has taken a side in the political world (as previously people only identified their party preference only to vote in primaries) where before people did not care too much about the state of politics at one time as the 85 percentile thought all politicians were crooks.  When I was younger people hated Carter not because he was Democrat but because he sucked at his job!  Ditto for Reagan as he was disliked who he was not cause he was a GOP man.

Its all demographics and that is why AM is still alive as the push for conservative talk don't need stereo and has become alive due to political hype but SiriusXM is only alive because of the rare travelers who travel from market to market so they don't have to change stations.

Something happened in NYC to change the demos as its all about age in the radio market.  Just like Magic FM in Orlando was in the 90's playing Barbara Streisand, Neil Diamond, Carpenter's, and borderline elevator music to define Adult Contemporary where now the station is still Adult Contemporary but with more upbeat artists as the age demos have different tastes now.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jon daly

the average Joe now has taken a side in the political world

That's what I hate about the internet. It makes me wary of saying something for fear of offending a large percentage of the other readers because I don't see eye to eye with them. I've wound up in scuffles because I've been accused of not checking my privilege at the door AND, in another thread, not being environmentally incorrect enough. I'm not sure if nonpartisan folks take it in the shorts more than others, but it seems that way to me.

jon daly

OK, maybe my last post is based more on perception than reality, but I feel like I burned bridges with sp cook in the Rust Belt thread and NE2 actually talked to me after a scuffle we had.

I just hope that hbelkins and abefroman still like me despite my neutrality in their feud.

jp the roadgeek

I try to check my political opinions at the door for any road (or sports) related message boards unless the road-related topic at hand has a political slant to it (ie CT's move to add tolls).  I figure I'll save my political views for boards that deal with politics, but yes, I'll be the first to admit my political leanings have shone through a couple of times, for which I have no regrets, but I keep it in check for fear of the dreaded purple font.  But I realize the purple font is more to discourage me from getting political in general, not whether or not the admin agrees or disagrees.  But it is so true that in today's over-sensitive world in comparison to even 10 years ago, the most innocent and harmless sounding statement could offend someone and lead to a series of ad-hominem attacks and a shouting match.  99% of the time I keep it light, informative, and with the occasional witty/sarcastic twist.  My goal is here is to talk about a common interest, not to get into a political bruhaha
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on May 14, 2019, 10:36:43 AM
Something happened in NYC to change the demos as its all about age in the radio market.  Just like Magic FM in Orlando was in the 90's playing Barbara Streisand, Neil Diamond, Carpenter's, and borderline elevator music to define Adult Contemporary where now the station is still Adult Contemporary but with more upbeat artists as the age demos have different tastes now.

This is perfectly defined when you listen to an 'Oldies' station.  They're playing music from the 80's and 90's.  Classic Rock will get you tunes from the 70's.  Growing up, it was more flip-flopped - Classic Rock was still the 70's, but Oldies Stations were more 50's and 60's music.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: jon daly on May 11, 2019, 03:40:05 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on May 11, 2019, 09:30:53 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on May 11, 2019, 07:17:37 AM
Over 150 choices as opposed to 5-20 at any one time. Can hear hundreds to dozens more songs and genres than terrestrial radio.

It's actually media clutter. I like to hear different kinds of music all on the same station. Regular radio stations 30 years ago had a lot more variety.

HCN back in the day used to play a great mix of classic rack, both mainstream and deep cuts.  Nowadays, the big media conglomerates have their 300-400 song playlist, with maybe one or two songs by a band.  Even 15 years ago, one guy used to joke that PLR stands for "Play a Lotta Repeats."  For example, Black Dog and Whole Lotta Love are great Zeppelin songs, but once in a while I want to hear Achillies Last Stand or The Rover instead.  But now many classic rock stations include materials from the 90's, which I consider to be rather new because I came of age in the late 80's and 90's, so much of the material from the late 60's and 70's now has to compete with a wider library.

I think that was when AOR or album oriented rock became Classic Rock. Prior to that in my high school days I recall hearing some New Wave mixed in with "Aqualung" and "Long Train Running." My fellow Nutmeggers might recall WHCN and similar stations with a looser rotation back then.

With regards to talk radio, I don't listen to it much, but it seems like political discussion is more prevalent than it used to be and there's less talk about medicine of personal finance or investing. These were typical topics that I recall hearing on WTIC and WPOP. And sports has been ghettoized often to its own stations. That's a subject for its own thread.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jon daly

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 14, 2019, 12:29:03 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 14, 2019, 10:36:43 AM

This is perfectly defined when you listen to an 'Oldies' station.  They're playing music from the 80's and 90's.  Classic Rock will get you tunes from the 70's.  Growing up, it was more flip-flopped - Classic Rock was still the 70's, but Oldies Stations were more 50's and 60's music.

CASUAL SEXISM ALERT:

Classic rock seems to more of a guy thing while oldies are more geared towards women. I know that this is a gross overgeneralization because my wife and I like songs that fit into both of these categories.

roadman65

Well the very same for rap music of the 1980's. Now its called R & B which in the 80's  R & B were considered the heavier side of Adult Contemporary then.

Everything over time gets redefined and yes oldies now is the 70's and 80's where it used to be 50's and 60's.  Classic Rock was all rock from 1965 and forward, but now its anything from 1965 to 1993.   Now you won't find any new Van Halen on Classic Rock Stations as the last album by them to be played on classic rock stations is the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge as things from Balance onto the recent Roth fronted album are not at all played on classic stations.

Sheryl Crowe

jon daly

JP, I think WHCN was my favorite during the 80s. But WAQY was up there, too. We lived on a hill so we could pick up stations from multiple markets; even WAAF out of Worcester.

The big difference was the Sunday night Comedy Hour. It was a Godsend for a kid like me without cable or older brothers who had comedy albums. Advantage:HCN.

Thanks for this trip down memory lane.

jon daly

When I was 11 or so, I received my first transistor radio. This was around 1979. It was an AM radio so I wound up listening to WDRC. It was a TOp 40 station at the time. I'm not sure when, but soon afterwards, I got access to FM and started listening to the area rock stations.

Prior to this and during the rest of my youth, WTIC 1080 was and remained a presence. Bob Steele told me the Word For the Day and when I didn't have school. They played some Adult Contemporary stuff like "I Can't Tell You Why," a softer Eagles number and Steele played some really old stuff.

They had a half hour straight news program in the evening and also broadcast Red Sox and Whaler games. And they had an hour or hour and a half devoted to sports talk. Arnold Dean was an older fellow who got his start spinning big band records, but he morphed into a sports guy. He wouldn't be popular today; not enough hot takes.

A decade ago, I worked in a building that had a hairdresser that specialized in toupees. I saw some ESPN guy there, but I also saw Dean. He's dead now, so I feel comfortable mentioning this. I thought it odd that a radio guy would be vain about thinning hair or balding.

bandit957

WCLU was AM, but I began listening to it even though I had access to an FM radio. That's because Q-102 started their "Instant Replay" nonsense where they'd play the same song twice back to back. Usually, on the radio, the next song should be something completely different.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

jp the roadgeek

JD: I actually knew Arnold, as he used to buy cars from my dad.  I actually had the pleasure of interviewing him for a 7th Grade project that I did at school.  Very nice and down to earth gentleman.   He even announced my father's passing on the air the day after it happened, and I'm pretty sure he was at the funeral (thought I saw his name in the guest book).  I held the interview up on the 19th floor studios, and even got to sit in the prestigious Bob Steele chair (Bob was another customer of my dad's, along with Walt Dibble).  About a year later, when Scott Gray hosted, I won a junior sportscaster contest and co-hosted the sports talk show one night.  I always thought Arnold's hair was real; he looked like he paralleled Bob Barker in that he used Grecian Formula but let it go natural in the later years. 

ET21

If you don't want to pay for Sirius, they offer nice 2 week trials where its free for anyone to tune into (usually during Memorial, 4th, and Labor holidays). Outside of that, I barely listen to radio anymore since I got bluetooth and stream Spotify
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

jon daly

I was at the same table with The Dean of Sports at some rubber chicken dinner featuring Rich Gedman or some other retired ballplayer. Yes, he did seem like a pleasure to be around.

I thought it funny that Walt was an award winning newscaster while his son Rob's radio shows were not, as far as I know, critically acclaimed.

jon daly

I was listening to an Adult Alternative station from Long Island and I heard The Byrd's "Eight Miles High." I think that Classic rock stations don't play as much late 60s psychedelia as Album oriented rock stations did.

roadman65

Quote from: jon daly on May 14, 2019, 07:01:13 PM
I was listening to an Adult Alternative station from Long Island and I heard The Byrd's "Eight Miles High." I think that Classic rock stations don't play as much late 60s psychedelia as Album oriented rock stations did.
In NY when WNEW was on radio playing rock they went back to the mid 60's as Paint it Black by the Stones and the Beatles Help and A Hard Day's Night were considered in their playlist.  Even very old Bob Dylan was played.

Came to Florida and when I heard WHTQ's A to Z weekend playing their library in its entirety they excluded songs like Derek and The Dominos Anyday and their cover of Little Wing.  However HTQ did include the original Little Wing by Hendrix even though they bragged that their library was so huge!

Each area is different.  When HTQ in Orlando cut off post 93 songs, a similar station in Tampa kept playing all rock songs before and after 1993 which I thought was great.  Then their format went Country and that ended that.  When NEW went off the air that was a shame even though been down here for years when that happened.

I wish I can guess but I would say that Dopey and Anthony did not help as I heard they brought that station a lot of lawsuits especially telling some couple to have sex in a public church which brought controversy to their station.

Edit: Found that WNEW did fire the two after a dare on Sex for Sam that resulted in a couple making love inside a church.  Can't find backing info to claim if they endangered WNEW as a station, but learned they slowly stopped playing music and went for more talk and were risky like Howard Stern and Don Imus as far as being more like tabloid news to gain a following even if it hurt some demographics in the process.  Surprising both shock jocks went national before SiriusXM picked them up, who also dropped one for absurd comments.

Sheryl Crowe

kevinb1994

That one was given a response by The Who with "˜I Can See For Miles', which was given a response by The Beatles with "˜Helter Skelter'. Also there was a cover done by Golden Earring (originally known as The Golden Earrings). Also Bob Seger's "˜Sunburst' samples The Who's answer song at least somewhat during the middle eight. And of course, "˜Helter Skelter' was covered by numerous other artists, including (but not limited to) Aerosmith and Motley Crue.

jon daly

WNEW where rock lives! Back in the 90s I remember driving to NYC and hearing Scott Muni.

roadman65

Quote from: jon daly on May 14, 2019, 08:12:15 PM
WNEW where rock lives! Back in the 90s I remember driving to NYC and hearing Scott Muni.
RIP to Scott. He was great and he was an interviewer too as he interviewed many of rock's great acts including the Beatles.

Sheryl Crowe

jon daly

Quote from: kevinb1994 on May 14, 2019, 07:34:50 PM

That one was given a response by The Who with "˜I Can See For Miles', which was given a response by The Beatles with "˜Helter Skelter'. Also there was a cover done by Golden Earring (originally known as The Golden Earrings). Also Bob Seger's "˜Sunburst' samples The Who's answer song at least somewhat during the middle eight. And of course, "˜Helter Skelter' was covered by numerous other artists, including (but not limited to) Aerosmith and Motley Crue.

I knew the bass lines were similar, but I had no idea that The Who made that as an answer song.

I learn something every day.

bandit957

Does that agricultural station out in the middle of Nebraska still exist?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: roadman65 on May 14, 2019, 08:24:28 PM
Quote from: jon daly on May 14, 2019, 08:12:15 PM
RIP to Scott. He was great and he was an interviewer too as he interviewed many of rock's great acts including the Beatles.

I remember he had a lunchtime show on Q 104-3 after WNEW flipped and he passed away. 

jon daly

The New York stations that came in really well in my neck of the woods east of Hartford we're the network flagships 660 770 and 880.

I can still pull in 880 while commuting thru Rhody.

bing101

http://www.insideradio.com/cumulus-media-s-mary-berner-more-dealmaking-ahead/article_113340c6-7612-11e9-9e13-93f6e0417b09.html

Part of the reason here is to get Cumulus out of debt there are more stations besides WPLJ and KLOS that were sold though.

roadman65

Is Clearchannel still around?  The stations here in FL owned by them are now part of IHeart Radio.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.