News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Any Amazon Fire TV Stick users?

Started by golden eagle, July 13, 2019, 06:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

I've had mine connected for a week and I love it! I have it for my bedroom TV since it's not hooked up to satellite or cable. The one weird thing is I get major network affiliates from other cities but not my locals. ABC comes from New York, CBS from Cincinnati, and central PA affiliates for Fox and CW. I'm supposed to have an NBC, but it doesn't seem to connect. No big deal since I don't watch a lot of NBC. I do like that I get most major cable stations, as well as a number of international stations like Sky News, BBC and CTV. I also get local Fox newscasts from Atlanta, Detroit, Houston, New Orleans, Tampa, Twin Cities and Washington. I have noticed that I may have a station from another location now and a while later, it's either gone and may or may not be replaced with another station.

I plan on getting another one for my living room TV when I get home internet service set up.

1995hoo

We have two Fire Sticks and a Fire Cube. Primary user is my wife for Acorn TV and PBS Passport. Later this year we plan to drop DirecTV in favor of Sony's Vue service. We did a free trial of that earlier this year and it worked fine on the Fire devices. I think I may get a refurbished Apple TV 4K device for the new TV downstairs, though, because it's supported by a lot more content providers.

We use a Mohu powered antenna on the bedroom TV for local channels and it works quite well, even pulls in some Baltimore stations, but that's the sort of thing where your experience may vary bigtime in different locations.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

rawmustard

As of this moment I run a Samsung Smart TV, which has a platform which supports the most popular streaming services, but I've been thinking of getting a streaming stick to supplement possible things which might not ever get a native Samsung app (e.g., while there is a general NBC app, there hasn't yet been made an NBC Sports app for Samsung's platform). I've had experience with Chromecast back when I gave one to my mother to use on her older TV before she got a new Roku TV last fall, and it would work best with the Google Home Minis I already have (I would get the Ultra version which supports 4K), but I am impressed by Roku's robust platform. I'm least likely to get a Fire stick unless it would offer something I couldn't get through Chromecast, Roku, or my TV's native platform. My new laptop also has an HDMI connection, so there have been instances where I've streamed video from that, but I see that as a last resort type of thing.

Max Rockatansky

My wife has one but I have no idea how to use and haven't been motivated to learn.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.