Anyone else like the studio verson of "Coming Up" better than the live version?

Started by bandit957, August 17, 2019, 04:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Am I the only person who liked the studio version of Paul McCartney's hit song "Coming Up" better than the live version? When you heard it on the radio, it was almost always the live version, but the studio version was played once in a great while. 'American Top 40' may have played the studio version, but I don't remember.

In the studio version, Sir Paul had sort of an electronically modified voice, which was tailor-made for the '80s.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

jp the roadgeek

My feelings are similar for Maybe I'm Amazed.  The classic hits station in my market usually played the live version, but it was totally butchered and missing verses, and was shorter than the original 1970 version.  I'm a fan of the full live version, but not the Readers' Digest 2 1/2 minute chop job that station played.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

golden eagle

I never heard the recorded version until a couple of months ago. I agree the live version is astronomically better.

D-Dey65

Quote from: bandit957 on August 17, 2019, 04:51:00 PM
Am I the only person who liked the studio version of Paul McCartney's hit song "Coming Up" better than the live version? When you heard it on the radio, it was almost always the live version, but the studio version was played once in a great while. 'American Top 40' may have played the studio version, but I don't remember.

In the studio version, Sir Paul had sort of an electronically modified voice, which was tailor-made for the '80s.
Actually, I like the studio version better too. I'm pretty sure AT40 wasn't the only radio show/station that played it, but the live version got a lot more airplay.

amroad17

Has anyone watched the video for "Coming Up"?  Rather interesting.  If you do, or have, pay attention to the "characters".

I like the live version better.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

jakeroot

Related: after hearing the songs on Peter Frampton's Comes Alive live album hundreds of times, the studio versions (available on YouTube) do sound rather strange.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.