News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

This article reports that Mississippi may start installing I-22 shields, "possibly in a few months":

Tupelo Major Thoroughfare Committee chairman Greg Pirkle thanked a long list of cooperating officials and agencies whose work led to the opening of the east link in the new West Barnes Crossing Road, a five-lane connector from North Gloster Street via Mount Vernon Road to U.S. 78 near Belden ....
Pirkle told about 100 people who stood on the bridge or sat in metal folding chairs that it was difficult deciding precisely how to get a direct connection to U.S. 78, which will become Interstate 22, possibly in a few months, depending on other connections.

MDOT has posted a video of the overnight demolition of the Pigeon Roost Road Bridge, near the I-269 interchange.

codyg1985

This report indicates that lane closures will be in place this weekend in order to shift traffic onto the newly constructed lanes on I-65 through the I-22 interchange. This is a pretty big milestone for the interchange project, as it will allow some bridges to be finished over I-65 as well as demolishing the remaining bridge north of the I-22 interchange.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

clong

Drove up I-65 and the lane shifts for Northbound are now in effect. Some of the C/D lanes even being utilized. It appears most of the work is now in the median/former Northbound lanes.

msunat97

How's the work on Coalburg Road progressing?

SSF

I hope it is about done, i hate Arkadelphia Road and having to take it. 

I am also wondering how the Jasper detour work is progressing. 

codyg1985

I think Coalburg Road is back open from what I have heard from news outlets, but I have not been down there to see.

As for the Jasper detour, the westbound lanes are finished, and the eastbound lanes are now closed. Work should be done in November.
Cody Goodman

msunat97

I94RoadRunner

Looks like I will have to reclinch I-22 on my trip to Florida this year .....
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

clong

Quote from: I94RoadRunner on August 13, 2014, 07:42:12 PM
Unless you're heading to Florida for Christmas (and even that I think is idealistic based on construction progress), you'll probably be more likely to clinch it to I-65 next spring.

Charles2

According to al.com, I-65 southbound lanes are now routed along the new northbound lanes. 

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: clong on August 15, 2014, 02:29:53 PM
Quote from: I94RoadRunner on August 13, 2014, 07:42:12 PM
Unless you're heading to Florida for Christmas (and even that I think is idealistic based on construction progress), you'll probably be more likely to clinch it to I-65 next spring.

Late February ..... Spring training!
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

codyg1985

If it isn't one thing, it is another with the I-22/65 interchange project. This time, it was raveling asphalt on the new travel lanes that traffic was just shifted to: http://www.abc3340.com/story/26309255/aldot-crews-works-to-find-what-cause-portions-of-interstate-65-to-crumble
Cody Goodman

Tourian

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/news/2014/08/21/i-22-interchange-with-i-65-wont-be-completed-until.html

QuoteBut according to Brian Davis, third division engineer for the Alabama Department of Transportation, the interchange won't be finished until October 2015.

And that's only if ALDOT approves a proposal by Georgia-based contractor Archer Western to modify the design of bridges that will arch over I-65.

Sigh.

codyg1985

Two more articles about the delays facing the I-22/65 interchange project:

Bridge design question factors into Interstate 22 construction delay (includes updated pictures of the interchange since one of the I-65 main line lane shifts took place)
13 INVESTIGATES: I-22 delays
Cody Goodman

rcm195

Just letting everyone know, eastbound lanes of I-22 around Jasper are now reopened.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on June 11, 2014, 11:11:05 PM
This MDOT Press Release reports that there will be lane closures on US 78/Future I-22 in order for beams to be set for a new bridge between Exits 81 and 85, which I assume will be for the new Coley Road/ Barnes Crossing interchange ....
As previously posted in another thread, the interchange is expected to be completed in late summer or early fall

This article reports that there will be a ribbon cutting for the Coley Road bridge over US 78/Future I-22 on September 25.  It is unclear from the article whether the interchange itself will open to traffic on that date.  Recent email correspondence with MDOT indicates that it is destined to be signed as Exit 82:

The plans show it as Exit 82.

Also, FWIW, the email correspondence seems to indicate that this bridge and/or or other bridge(s) are playing a role as to when the I-22 shields will go up in Mississippi:

The US 78 / Coley Rd. location is going to be a full access, grade separated interchange. It is scheduled to open later this year. We are still awaiting a ruling from Congress on the bridge weight limits before any signing will be changed from US 78 to I-22.

froggie

Guessing that's a typo, as that would be some serious micro-managing from Congress in an Excecutive branch if they were ruling on bridge weight limits.  They probably meant FHWA.

SteveG1988

I-22 is nice, i've driven it from US78 where you have to go through town to get to the eastern end (semis are not allowed past the exit there for now) to US78 in TN, it is a common route for me, so i should be able to provide updates but not photos, as the route that takes me along it is an all night drive from Atlanta GA to Lamar Ave in Memphis. I have only driven it once in the daytime, eastbound but have taken it several times at night, at least twice a month.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Gnutella

Quote from: Grzrd on July 26, 2014, 10:56:18 AM
This article reports that Mississippi may start installing I-22 shields, "possibly in a few months":

Tupelo Major Thoroughfare Committee chairman Greg Pirkle thanked a long list of cooperating officials and agencies whose work led to the opening of the east link in the new West Barnes Crossing Road, a five-lane connector from North Gloster Street via Mount Vernon Road to U.S. 78 near Belden ....
Pirkle told about 100 people who stood on the bridge or sat in metal folding chairs that it was difficult deciding precisely how to get a direct connection to U.S. 78, which will become Interstate 22, possibly in a few months, depending on other connections.

MDOT has posted a video of the overnight demolition of the Pigeon Roost Road Bridge, near the I-269 interchange.

Has Mississippi improved the shoulders on that highway? When I drove it back in 2008, it honestly looked like the shoulders were made of gravel. :confused:

codyg1985

A lot of the shoulders along Future I-22 in Mississippi are now asphalt with rumble strips, thanks to resurfacing projects or projects to pave the shoulders. I can't think of any stretches off-hand that still have the tar and gravel shoulders.
Cody Goodman

clong

TrevorB

Just got a confirmation from MDOT that I-22 will end at I-269.

NE2

Quote from: TrevorB on November 05, 2014, 04:25:19 PM
Shit. FHWA will probably force them to renumber exits so mile 0 is at I-269.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

MikeSantNY78

Quote from: TrevorB on November 05, 2014, 04:25:19 PM
Will the current US 78 exit numbers continue to the Tenn. state line, or will there be a fresh re-numbering from I-269 onward? Seems an obvious answer is keep them as they are...

TrevorB

Not sure, but I would assume they would keep them as they are

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.