News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Several weeks ago (before TrevorB posted the news that MDOT will have I-22 end at I-269), I emailed FHWA's Washington office and asked whether I-22 could end at the state line, if that was in accordance with MDOT's wishes.  Basically, I was informed that they cannot directly answer hypothetical questions; however, the individual who wrote the response provided some background information that sheds some light on Congressionally designated corridors, which is as follows:

Thank you for your question regarding future I-22.  We can only provide specific answers to formal system modification requests submitted by State(s) for evaluation.  While we cannot provide concrete answers to hypothetical questions, we can provide background information that you might find helpful.
You are correct High Priority Corridor (HPC) #45 was designated as future Interstate route with the numbering of "I-22"  in Section 1105 of ISTEA, as amended.  Congress has designated a handful of High Priority Corridors (or portions thereof) as future Interstates.  In some cases, Congress has specified the specific routing, as they did with future I-22.  In cases where the language is not exact, the States retain the authority to select routes, provided they are following existing law and regulation in doing so.  Unless Congress specifically exempts a State from provisions of existing law and regulation, those remain in effect.
Neither FHWA nor the State DOTs can "ignore the congressional designation."   However, a State (or States) that didn't wish to build a designated future Interstate could not be compelled to do so. 
In general, under the Federal-aid Highway Program, States have the authority on where, when, and how Federal-aid highway funds are spent.  Since MAP-21, States can have segments of unconnected congressionally designated future Interstates added to the system, provided they are planned to connect to the System by October 1, 2037.  However, there is no time limit on when the States have to request these additions.
Since HPC #45 states that the corridor extends from Memphis, TN to near Birmingham, AL without specific endpoints specified, it is up to the States to suggest logical endpoints.  FHWA will, of course, work with the Mississippi and Tennessee DOTs to answer any questions about appropriate routing and termini

It looks like FHWA will have absolutely no problem with an I-269 terminus.  That said, the response, with the reference to 2037 and the Tennessee DOT, leaves the door open for some type of future extension into Tennessee ........

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on September 15, 2014, 02:35:01 PM
This article reports that there will be a ribbon cutting for the Coley Road bridge over US 78/Future I-22 on September 25.  It is unclear from the article whether the interchange itself will open to traffic on that date.  Recent email correspondence with MDOT indicates that it is destined to be signed as Exit 82:
The plans show it as Exit 82.

Google Street View has July 2014 imagery of construction on the interchange.

Google's map of the interchange seems to show two open ramps, but Google has not designated the interchange as Exit 82:

Does anyone know if the interchange has been opened to traffic, and, if so, whether it has been signed as Exit 82?

clong

Drove thru the I-22/I-65 interchange area yesterday both northbound and southbound on I-65.

The first ramp now has its final girder set in place. Northbound traffic now drives on the C/D and southbound drives on the future northbound lanes (at least for most of the zone) as they are working on the bridges over the former southbound lanes and grading and paving the former median area.

Sorry no pics this time.

clong

]http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2014/12/i-22_interchange_construction_1.html]

Thanks to the Birmingham News for picking me up with some pics that are much better than the ones I could have taken driving down the road.

Molandfreak

Nooooooooooooooo! I-22 should take over future I-555! Not end at a bypass.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on September 15, 2014, 02:35:01 PM
the email correspondence seems to indicate that this bridge and/or or other bridge(s) are playing a role as to when the I-22 shields will go up in Mississippi:
The US 78 / Coley Rd. location is going to be a full access, grade separated interchange. It is scheduled to open later this year. We are still awaiting a ruling from Congress on the bridge weight limits before any signing will be changed from US 78 to I-22.

This MDOT Press Release announces that the recent omnibus bill signed by President Obama includes a provision that the allowable weight limits on U.S. 78 will not change when it is converted to I-22.  Also of interest is that the bill covers U.S. 78/ Future I-22 from mile marker 0 to mile marker 113, which means that would allow an I-22 designation all of the way to the Tennessee state line:

This week, President Obama signed a bill into law that included a section regarding weight limits for U.S. Route 78 in Mississippi.
The 2015 Fiscal Year Omnibus Appropriation Bill (H.R. 83) passed by Congress last week ensures the previous weight limit for harvest permitted loads of 84,000 pounds will not be changed by the new interstate designation and weight restriction of 80,000 pounds from mile marker 0 to mile marker 113 when U.S. 78 becomes Interstate 22 in North Mississippi.
"Agriculture is the number one industry in Mississippi, and without this bill, transport of these goods along the future Interstate 22 would be severely crippled,"  said Transportation Commissioner Mike Tagert. "We sincerely appreciate Congressmen Alan Nunnelee and Gregg Harper, and Sens. Thad Cochran and Roger Wicker for their efforts in passing this legislation that will greatly benefit our state's economy."
The $1.1 trillion spending bill amends Division K, Title 1 Section 125 of the United States Code to the following: "Operation of vehicles on certain Mississippi Highways - If any segment of United States Route 78 in Mississippi from mile marker 0 to mile marker 113 is designated as part of the Interstate System, no limit established under this section may apply to that segment with respect to the operation of any vehicle that could have legally operated on that segment before such designation."

I-269 in near future; state line in distant future?

cjk374

Hopefully this doesn't mean we should expect to see slow-moving farm equipment on the interstate?  Is that what they are referring to?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hbelkins

Quote from: cjk374 on December 19, 2014, 06:28:27 PM
Hopefully this doesn't mean we should expect to see slow-moving farm equipment on the interstate?  Is that what they are referring to?

Sounds more like it refers to weight than vehicle type or speed. Kentucky has special provisions for coal trucks that allow them to operate at heavier weights than other normal commercial vehicles.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on December 19, 2014, 05:43:58 PM
This MDOT Press Release announces that the recent omnibus bill signed by President Obama includes a provision that the allowable weight limits on U.S. 78 will not change when it is converted to I-22.

MDOT issued a revised Press Release on December 20 which clarifies that the omnibus bill will expire in September, 2015 and that a permanent solution is still needed:

While the bill will expire in September 2015, MDOT will continue to work with Congress to pass a permanent solution.

Will MDOT now be hesitant to install the I-22 shields until a permanent solution is finalized?

lordsutch

Quote from: Grzrd on December 04, 2014, 07:57:06 PM
Does anyone know if the interchange has been opened to traffic, and, if so, whether it has been signed as Exit 82?

It's fully open now. It was dark when I got to Tupelo so I didn't get a good look at the guide signage off US 78, so I can't confirm the exit number (I drove Barnes Crossing west from US 45 west to US 78 to get speed limits to put in OSM).

Grzrd

Quote from: lordsutch on December 20, 2014, 10:48:22 PM
It's fully open now. It was dark when I got to Tupelo so I didn't get a good look at the guide signage off US 78, so I can't confirm the exit number

After having driven from Atlanta to Oxford, MS yesterday, I can now answer my own question and confirm that it is signed as Exit 82.

codyg1985

Quote from: Grzrd on December 31, 2014, 05:58:49 PM
Quote from: lordsutch on December 20, 2014, 10:48:22 PM
It's fully open now. It was dark when I got to Tupelo so I didn't get a good look at the guide signage off US 78, so I can't confirm the exit number

After having driven from Atlanta to Oxford, MS yesterday, I can now answer my own question and confirm that it is signed as Exit 82.

I am a bit curious if the signage on the intersecting roads has any covered up I-22 shields, or greened-out ones.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

lordsutch

Quote from: codyg1985 on December 31, 2014, 09:08:28 PMI am a bit curious if the signage on the intersecting roads has any covered up I-22 shields, or greened-out ones.

There was no I-22 signage in place, either visible or covered, and nothing greened out; Mississippi rarely puts shields on guide signs anyway unless they're overheads or on expressways/freeways.

SteveG1988

I drive the length of I-22/US78 from birmingham to memphis on a rather frequent basis, past week i did it at least three times, but i mostly drive it at night, we got an overnight run from Atlanta to Memphis, this road makes that run a cakewalk.

Once you cross the state line the most you get is Future I-22 Corridor in MS, and even that is infrequent. Several overheads on the AL section still say 78 TUPELO.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

codyg1985

Quote from: SteveG1988 on January 01, 2015, 09:01:26 AM
I drive the length of I-22/US78 from birmingham to memphis on a rather frequent basis, past week i did it at least three times, but i mostly drive it at night, we got an overnight run from Atlanta to Memphis, this road makes that run a cakewalk.

Once you cross the state line the most you get is Future I-22 Corridor in MS, and even that is infrequent. Several overheads on the AL section still say 78 TUPELO.

I'm surprised ALDOT hasn't replaced overheads. The most that has happened is the installation of mainline I-22 shields and some at a few intersecting roads in Marion County. No overheads, and no consistency as to what to do to sign existing US 78, either.
Cody Goodman

rcm195

Went through the I-22 I-65 construction zone today. If I'm wrong, please, someone correct me, but I see no way this project will be finished by August of this year. And isn't that the new date to be finished? There is a lot of unfinished work there.

Charles2

Quote from: rcm195 on January 16, 2015, 09:54:44 PM
Went through the I-22 I-65 construction zone today. If I'm wrong, please, someone correct me, but I see no way this project will be finished by August of this year. And isn't that the new date to be finished? There is a lot of unfinished work there.

I drove through there today for the first time in about a month and thought the same thing.  I saw a fair amount of progress from my last trip through there, but I'm rather skeptical that the 22/65 interchange will be finished in seven months, much less the new ramp from US 31 north onto I-65 north. 

A couple of questions that maybe someone knows the answer to: (1) What is the status of the connection between I-22 and US 31?  Will that be a separate project? (2)  Will the existing exit from I-65 S onto US 31 remain, or will it be torn down?

Tourian

I think they are just claiming "by then end of 2015" and have backed off the other claim of in the summer.

rcm195

Just wondering, was Archer Western up to a project of this size? From what I remember, most of the Alabama parts of I-22 was built by Hill Brothers(Miss) and Wright Brothers(Tn). Was the so called "engineering" problems real? Or just a smoke screen?

SSF

Archer Western is not exactly a small firm, I am pretty sure they could handle something like this.

codyg1985

Quote from: Charles2 on January 17, 2015, 08:23:11 PM
A couple of questions that maybe someone knows the answer to: (1) What is the status of the connection between I-22 and US 31?  Will that be a separate project? (2)  Will the existing exit from I-65 S onto US 31 remain, or will it be torn down?

1) There was a contract let a couple of years ago to do structure demolition for the I-22/US 31 connection, but as far as the construction itself, it will be a separate project. Not sure when it will happen, though.

2) I think it will end up staying. From what I can remember years ago (maybe even in the plans for the I-22/65 interchange), the I-22 continuation to US 31 will only be accessible to and from I-22. There won't be any ramps from that connector to and from I-65.
Cody Goodman

Charles2

I drove I-22 from Tupelo to Coalburg Road today.  The inconsistency of the signage amazes me.  Of course, Mississippi still signs the route as US 78.  Between the Alabama state line and Jasper, the route is alternately signed as I-22, US 78, SR 4, and/or any number of combinations thereof.  East of Jasper the route is signed strictly as I-22 except for trailblazing signs on exits.  Confusing? Yes.  Amateurish? Beyond all description.

The control cities on what few distance signs there are in Alabama is laughable.  Signs in Mississippi have Birmingham as the principal destination.  Once in Alabama the only destination not included on the signs is Farmer Brown's Pasture.  ALDOT should be ashamed.

rcm195

And you forgot "Little Texas". Could not agree with you more. I have always wondered for instance at state highway 13, why the control signs do not say Tuscaloosa and either Haleyville, or even Florence? My personal view, it's local politics.

codyg1985

I absolutely hate how inconsistent the signage is along I-22. It is as if whoever did the design for each signing job for each segment didn't talk to the other designer, so you have all of these different control cities, and some places where you have mileage signs and some that don't, and even then you don't have mileage to the next major control city (and Hamilton doesn't count). I really hope ALDOT does a complete resigning project for I-22 once everything is done. The reason the signs in Mississippi are so consistent is because MDOT did a mass resigning job in the early 2000's along the entire stretch of US 78/I-22. The signs in Mississippi before that were woefully substandard.

i also hope US 78 is rerouted back onto its former alignment, but since AASHTO tends to frown upon that, I don't see that ever happening.
Cody Goodman

NE2

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 02, 2015, 07:36:15 AM
i also hope US 78 is rerouted back onto its former alignment, but since AASHTO tends to frown upon that, I don't see that ever happening.
AASHTO has approved a US 78 Alt. from Hamilton to Graysville, practically the entire length of I-22 in Alabama. ALDOT can always pull a North Carolina and forget the plates.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.