News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2016, 02:03:25 PM
Quote from: Georgia on July 14, 2016, 10:07:37 AM
I-22 is still the only place where i have gone #2 on the side of a road due to lack of services in western Alabama.
Had lunch in Tupelo and something did not sit right with my stomach.

TMI!
Nah, that nuclear explosion happened decades ago.

I know what you mean. I have also done it in areas that don't really have anything. There is also that sudden urge to go #2.

rte66man

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 18, 2016, 02:44:36 AM
I-22 is still the only place where i have gone #2 on the side of a road due to lack of services in western Alabama.

TMI!

I know what you mean. I have also done it in areas that don't really have anything. There is also that sudden urge to go #2.

Sorry, I didn't realize the subject of this thread is now "Interstate #2"   :bigass:
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

noelbotevera

Quote from: rte66man on July 20, 2016, 07:27:42 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on July 18, 2016, 02:44:36 AM

TMI!

Sorry, I didn't realize the subject of this thread is now "Interstate #2"   :bigass:
We can mention Interstate #1 if you'd like.

sparker

I can't believe you folks are talking about the same old shit!  Someone took a dump alongside a freeway -- alert the media!

Avalanchez71

So has anyone contacted ALDOT to ask how they are going to handle US 78?  I was looking at the SC website and US 29 mas moved off the freeway facility and back to the old road.

GreenLanternCorps

Has construction started on the connection to US 31?

codyg1985

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on October 04, 2016, 08:10:41 PM
Has construction started on the connection to US 31?

It hasn't. There is no time frame that I know of when that connection will be made.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

US71

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 21, 2016, 09:16:36 PM
So has anyone contacted ALDOT to ask how they are going to handle US 78?  I was looking at the SC website and US 29 mas moved off the freeway facility and back to the old road.
Well, east of Jasper, 78 appears to split off 22, yet it's also co-signed east of there along 22,but "disappears" before I-65

SGH-I337

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US71

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on July 11, 2016, 10:06:22 PM
I drove the I-22 from Birmingham to Memphis Sunday, as part of a 7 day family business roadtrip I'm on.

A few observations:

In Alabama, for the reassurance sign assemblies, it looks like they just swapped out the old blue US 78 trailblazers and replaced them with I-22 shields.  There is no indication of US 78 existing on that alignment; it's now I-22/AL 4 (Corridor X).  However, in Mississippi, it looked like they just added an I-22 trailblazer either before or after the existing reassurance assemblies.

We popped off I-22 to get gas and make a bio break at Alabama exit 85, still signed as US 78 (the old 4 lane Bankhead Highway).  There really needs to be a requirement about signing distance to advertised services, and perhaps a tighter standard about how distant services may be to get signed, since we drove several miles to find the advertised gas station.  Returning, the exit from west bound US 78 to westbound I-22 is still mostly signed as being to US 78/AL 4/Corridor X.  It wouldn't surprise me if I-22 is thinly signed at several interchanges in Alabama.

Back in the day, I mostly didn't need to stop on US 78 between Memphis and Birmingham.  However, this trip I was traveling with my wife, who has health problems, and since the night before was a short one, I was consuming a significant amount of caffeine Saturday.  Those facts conspire to instill an appreciation for how sparse the services really are along I-22 in Alabama.  There are signs of new construction at some interchanges, however.

At the future interchange with I-269, I-22 westbound simply disappears.  No "END" sign....you just simply stop seeing I-22 trailblazers.   It could be my imagination, but much of the US 78 freeway between I-269 and the TN state line seems like it hasn't been upgraded since it was constructed, and I'd wonder if it would meet current Interstate standards.  I could be mistaken, however, some stretches of I-22 didn't seem significantly upgraded from what I remember as a frequent traveler of that highway 20ish years ago.

The I-22/I-269/US 78 interchange should be a nice one when complete.  It looked like the major overpasses and earth-moving for the interchange were done.

20ish years ago, I normally didn't take US 78 all the way into Memphis; I instead used TN 385 out to wherever it was built, and then local roads to cut down to US 78.  However, being a mindless follower of the GPS, I allowed myself to follow US 78 all the way up to Airways in Memphis.  There is a lot of development along Lamar between I-240 and the state line, including a large intermodal facility.  You really have to travel that stretch of road to gain a full appreciation for why TDOT is in no hurry to upgrade the road to interstate standards.  I'm sure that some of the panhandlers appreciate TDOT not being up to that challenge.  Since I'll probably be a regular traveler of that corridor again in a few months....I'm looking forward to I-269 being completed between I-22 and TN 385.

The legion of mindless followers of GPS might explain why traffic on I-22 between Jasper and Birmingham seemed so light.  My car's on-board navigation system doesn't know about I-22 and simply chose to be unhappy while traveling an allegedly nonexistent road.  I wonder if usage will seem low until the various satnav database updates propagate out into the wild.
A little detective work seems to indicate 22 ends at the county line west of Byhalia. Last sign WB is just past 309. Exits are numbered beginning at Byhalia
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

lordsutch

Quote from: US71 on October 08, 2016, 08:20:20 AM
A little detective work seems to indicate 22 ends at the county line west of Byhalia. Last sign WB is just past 309. Exits are numbered beginning at Byhalia

The signage plans for the I-269 paving project show I-22 starts/ends in the middle of the interchange (between the two I-269 mainline bridges), which is a few hundred feet west of the county line.

Voyager75

Well, east of Jasper, 78 appears to split off 22, yet it's also co-signed east of there along 22,but "disappears" before I-65

SGH-I337
[/quote]

When I drove up to Jasper early last week I took several exits to look at signage. Needless to say ALDOT has a big project on their hands if they want to properly sign the whole I-22/US-78/AL-5 corridor. 78 is going in all directions seems like in the Graysville area with no incentive to decide where 78 should be routed by ALDOT. In some places a new 22 sign was put up with the 78 sign left up just past the 22 sign. Signs are missing altogether at some on ramps to the interstate with just a directional sign on the pole. Some that are put up are worthy of The Worst of Road Signage thread. Disappointed to say the least in the quality control of our new Interstate.

Alex

Quote from: Voyager75 on October 08, 2016, 03:25:14 PM
When I drove up to Jasper early last week I took several exits to look at signage. Needless to say ALDOT has a big project on their hands if they want to properly sign the whole I-22/US-78/AL-5 corridor. 78 is going in all directions seems like in the Graysville area with no incentive to decide where 78 should be routed by ALDOT. In some places a new 22 sign was put up with the 78 sign left up just past the 22 sign. Signs are missing altogether at some on ramps to the interstate with just a directional sign on the pole. Some that are put up are worthy of The Worst of Road Signage thread. Disappointed to say the least in the quality control of our new Interstate.

In addition to the things cited above, you can add the lack of mileage signs, then the mileage signs referencing the next two exit destinations like Carbon Hill, Nauvoo, etc. in place of Memphis, Tupelo and Birmingham (until 28 miles or so out) that still needs addressing. With the exception of the newest section to the east, the mileposts are still the smaller style used typically on US and State Routes as well.

vdeane

I think the mileage sign situation is an Alabama thing.  I noticed that their mileage signs tend to be "Vermont style", using the next exit and the next decent sized city rather than the most major cities.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Charles2

Quote from: vdeane on October 11, 2016, 07:53:35 PM
I think the mileage sign situation is an Alabama thing.  I noticed that their mileage signs tend to be "Vermont style", using the next exit and the next decent sized city rather than the most major cities.

Actually, this occurs only on I-22.  Control cities on other Interstates in Alabama:

10: Pensacola, Mobile, Pascagoula (it could be argued that New Orleans should be substituted, but since Mississippi doesn't, why should Alabama?)
20: Meridian (maybe Jackson should be substituted, but since Meridian is where 20 and 59 split, makes sense), Tuscaloosa (fifth largest metro in the state and home of the largest university in the state), Birmingham, Atlanta
59: Meridian, Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, Gadsden (OK, this one is a little sketchy, especially since Tennessee and Georgia use Birmingham), Chattanooga
65: Mobile, Montgomery, Birmingham, Huntsville, Nashville
85: Montgomery, Atlanta

IMHO, the only questionable control cities are Pascagoula and Gadsden. Everything else makes perfectly good sense.

golden eagle

Pascagoula is a control city because when I-10 was under construction in Mississippi, motorists traveling westward from Mobile had to exit the interstate near Pascagoula. Of course that's no longer the case. I would be in favor of dropping Pascagoula for New Orleans and using Biloxi & Gulfport as secondary control cities.

codyg1985

It may be worth it to email ALDOT if there are any plans to fix the mileage signs and control cities so that they are consistent across the route, as they are on the rest of the Alabama interstates. Ditto for US 78.
Cody Goodman

vdeane

Quote from: Charles2 on October 11, 2016, 10:47:34 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 11, 2016, 07:53:35 PM

Actually, this occurs only on I-22.  Control cities on other Interstates in Alabama:

10: Pensacola, Mobile, Pascagoula (it could be argued that New Orleans should be substituted, but since Mississippi doesn't, why should Alabama?)
20: Meridian (maybe Jackson should be substituted, but since Meridian is where 20 and 59 split, makes sense), Tuscaloosa (fifth largest metro in the state and home of the largest university in the state), Birmingham, Atlanta
59: Meridian, Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, Gadsden (OK, this one is a little sketchy, especially since Tennessee and Georgia use Birmingham), Chattanooga
65: Mobile, Montgomery, Birmingham, Huntsville, Nashville
85: Montgomery, Atlanta

IMHO, the only questionable control cities are Pascagoula and Gadsden. Everything else makes perfectly good sense.
I was talking mileage signs, not guide signs.  On I-59 south from the Georgia state line to Birmingham, the mileage signs are Fort Payne/Gadsden, Collinsville/Gadsden, Gadsden/Birmingham, Ashville/Birmingham, Springville/Birmingham, and Trussville/Birmingham.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Voyager75

I also failed to mention that there is no indication of 22 existing on 65 Northbound until you get to the Daniel Payne exit with a 3/4 mileage sign. I realize they are about to completely rebuild the 20/59/65 area downtown so I assume they will instill all new signage with I-22 trailblazers for the truckers that might still be using Arkadelphia. 65 North could have at least some temp To-22 signs on a pole at the 20/59 Junction at least.

codyg1985

Quote from: Voyager75 on October 15, 2016, 10:09:55 AM
I also failed to mention that there is no indication of 22 existing on 65 Northbound until you get to the Daniel Payne exit with a 3/4 mileage sign. I realize they are about to completely rebuild the 20/59/65 area downtown so I assume they will instill all new signage with I-22 trailblazers for the truckers that might still be using Arkedelphia. 65 North could have at least some temp To-22 signs on a pole at the 20/59 Junction at least.

There is a gantry on I-65 north that just has the pull through for I-65/Huntsville that I would assume was placed there to include a sign for I-22, but a sign has not been installed yet.

The signage plans I saw for the I-20/59/65 interchange revamp had no mention of I-22.
Cody Goodman

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 17, 2016, 11:49:45 AM
Quote from: Voyager75 on October 15, 2016, 10:09:55 AM
I also failed to mention that there is no indication of 22 existing on 65 Northbound until you get to the Daniel Payne exit with a 3/4 mileage sign. I realize they are about to completely rebuild the 20/59/65 area downtown so I assume they will instill all new signage with I-22 trailblazers for the truckers that might still be using Arkedelphia. 65 North could have at least some temp To-22 signs on a pole at the 20/59 Junction at least.

There is a gantry on I-65 north that just has the pull through for I-65/Huntsville that I would assume was placed there to include a sign for I-22, but a sign has not been installed yet.

The signage plans I saw for the I-20/59/65 interchange revamp had no mention of I-22.
I would like it to say I-22, and maybe in the future, I-422!
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Interstate 69 Fan

Why did the Northern Beltway had to be numbered I-422? At the least I know, Birmingham is the only city that has a 2-digit interstate ending in it, and having a auxiliary highway in it. (Yes, I know New York has I-87/I-78, but they are spreader out in different communities) And yes, this includes Future and former routes.

Charles2

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on November 06, 2016, 09:37:43 PM
Why did the Northern Beltway had to be numbered I-422? At the least I know, Birmingham is the only city that has a 2-digit interstate ending in it, and having a auxiliary highway in it. (Yes, I know New York has I-87/I-78, but they are spreader out in different communities) And yes, this includes Future and former routes.

Mobile has I-165, Savannah has I-516, Chattanooga has (now unsigned) I-124, Dallas has (unsigned) 345, Chicago has 355, San Diego has 805, Los Angeles has 110 and 710, Cleveland has 271, Montgomery will eventually have 685...

I would agree, though, that the 422 number doesn't make a lot sense.  Quite honestly, the route as it's designed now doesn't make a lot of sense.  That being said, if I had my druthers it would have been given either 259 or 659, or better yet, 459.

Revive 755

IMHO the first choice for the number should have been a reference to the route the new corridor would be a bypass or alternative to, so I agree I-422 should be an I-x59. 

I also wouldn't consider it a big deal if a 2di also has one or more auxiliary routes in the same metro area that the 2di ends in.  If there was such a prohibition, it would be impossible to have any 3di's in San Diego, and extremely difficult to do so in a few other areas.  Sure I-165 in Mobile and I-124 in Chattanooga could become an I-110 and I-175, but doing so would require some odd 2di/3di overlaps.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: Revive 755 on November 06, 2016, 10:05:54 PM
IMHO the first choice for the number should have been a reference to the route the new corridor would be a bypass or alternative to, so I agree I-422 should be an I-x59. 

I also wouldn't consider it a big deal if a 2di also has one or more auxiliary routes in the same metro area that the 2di ends in.  If there was such a prohibition, it would be impossible to have any 3di's in San Diego, and extremely difficult to do so in a few other areas.  Sure I-165 in Mobile and I-124 in Chattanooga could become an I-110 and I-175, but doing so would require some odd 2di/3di overlaps.
Interstate 165 was once to be Interstate 210, but was redesignated I-165 due to no connection to I-10 due to community opposition (the usual).

codyg1985

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on November 06, 2016, 09:37:43 PM

Don't forget the connector route between I-22 and I-422 that will be designated as I-622, if the road is ever built.
Cody Goodman

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.