News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Avenue in this sense does not necessarily mean a given streetname.  It can also mean mode.

mightyace

Quote from: Grzrd on August 29, 2010, 10:37:51 PM
they're going to find another avenue...

It's an expression for "we'll have to try something else" and it is often used for something other than highways.  Still, hard to say whether they wordplay was intended or not.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alps

Quote from: Grzrd on August 29, 2010, 10:37:51 PM
they're going to find another avenue...

Quote from: froggie on August 30, 2010, 06:35:32 AM
Avenue in this sense does not necessarily mean a given streetname.  It can also mean mode.

Quote from: mightyace on August 30, 2010, 06:39:01 AM

It's an expression for "we'll have to try something else" and it is often used for something other than highways.  Still, hard to say whether they wordplay was intended or not.

Um, guys, he did say "Intended or unintended?"  The more people who explain a joke, the less funny it becomes...

Grzrd

I got careless and accidentally removed wrong post (thought I had found a good Aug. 27 article to pass on; only problem was it was from 2009 and not 2010) before I could remove the dated post.

It was something along the lines of:

From a Dec. 9, 2009 Memphis Daily News article:

Quote from: Grzrd on August 21, 2010, 02:02:53 PM
Lamar Avenue has a host of problems that need to be resolved if Memphis wants to continue its role as a critical link in the global supply chain... With the freight community, ‘real-time, on-time' is what's important to them ... And if they can't do it via truck, they're going to find another avenue.

:hmmm: Intended or unintended?  :sombrero:

Should allow previous 3 posts to make sense.

Grzrd

After a bumpy detour into a bad pun, it's time to merge back onto the main topic.  I received an email from MDOT re the anticipated letting of the New Albany interchange (pertinent part as follows):

MDOT anticipates letting the New Albany interchange project by the end of 2011.  Additionally, there are some other minor upgrades needed along US 78 to bring it up to interstate standards.   There is also a major rubblization project planned for Desoto and Marshall Counties in 2011.

Link to map of the interchange:
http://www.gomdot.com/Home/Projects/Studies/Northern/US78/pdf/MapOfProposedInterchange.pdf

codyg1985

^ Those upgrades would complete the needed upgrades to interstate standards. There are now paved shoulders everywhere else as jdb1234 said.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

froggie

Including western Marshall County (west of Holly Springs) and east of Fulton?

Grzrd

I emailed a reply to MDOT in which I asked them to identify the "other minor upgrades", as well as each respective current status and/or anticipated letting date(s).  My overall intent is to see if MDOT intends to complete the upgrades by the anticipated Oct. 15, 2014 completion of ALDOT's I-22/ I-65 interchange, which should then allow signing of the route as I-22.

Will post appropriate parts of reply if and when I receive it.

Scott5114

Come now. Bad puns are a hallowed tradition in the roadgeek community. :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Grzrd

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 04, 2010, 10:11:43 PM
Come now. Bad puns are a hallowed tradition in the roadgeek community. :P
Thx. I'm still working on my delivery. Disappointed at lack of groans to my most recent GHT "Any Isolated Counties..." post.

froggie

QuoteMy overall intent is to see if MDOT intends to complete the upgrades by the anticipated Oct. 15, 2014 completion of ALDOT's I-22/ I-65 interchange, which should then allow signing of the route as I-22.

http://www.gomdot.com/Home/Projects/Updates/Northern/Home.aspx

Grzrd

Quote from: froggie on September 05, 2010, 08:42:23 AM
http://www.gomdot.com/Home/Projects/Updates/Northern/Home.aspx
Is it then accurate to say Mississippi cannot sign their portion as I-22 until a final decision is made on the location of the western terminus because of the "exit mileage number" problem created by the possible I-69/ 269 terminus if Tennessee concludes that it will not be cost-effective to create an I-22/ I-240 link?

rickmastfan67

IMO, they can just use the current US-78 exit numbers for I-22 if they have it end @ I-269.  They do this with I-265/KY-841 in Louisville.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on September 03, 2010, 10:47:55 AM
There is also a major rubblization project planned for Desoto and Marshall Counties in 2011.
Here is notice for rubblization project with target completion date of June 28, 2013 (Sept. 28, 2010 letting): http://www.gomdot.com/bidsystem_data/20100928/PROPOSALS/105510901.pdf

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on August 26, 2010, 03:19:34 PM
Just received a reply from TDOT regarding the status of the Cambridge Systematics Lamar Corridor study:

"The draft of the study being done by Cambridge Systematics is now expected to be ready the second week in September. After review by the Memphis Metropolitan Organization and the Department's Systems and Policy Planning office, the final report should be ready around the middle of October.

The study will identify possible alternative solutions for improving the movement of freight, relieving congestion, levels of service, etc. Some of the categories of solutions are expected to be directed at capacity enhancements, diversion routes, operational solutions, and improvements to other roadways in the study area. Exactly what the report will recommend will not be known until it is finalized."
Received an email update from TDOT this a.m. Cambridge Systematics has not met the anticipated "second week in September" goal for delivering the draft study to Memphis MPO and TDOT.  TDOT still expecting it "any day now".

codyg1985

I drove through the area where the I-65/I-22 interchange is supposed to be constructed. I thought construction was supposed to begin now, but nothing has happened at the site. Any word as to what's causing the delays?
Cody Goodman

Grzrd

Quote from: codyg1985 on September 21, 2010, 03:42:25 PM
I drove through the area where the I-65/I-22 interchange is supposed to be constructed. I thought construction was supposed to begin now, but nothing has happened at the site. Any word as to what's causing the delays?

Phase I of the construction is supposed to be linkage of Daniel Payne Drive to I-65 North.  Could you tell if anything was going on there?

The work, which must be completed by Oct. 15, 2014, will be performed in three or four individual phases to prevent traffic problems, said Steve Hausler, project manager for Archer Western Contractors.
The first part of the project will link Daniel Payne Drive to I-65 North. After that, work will be done on northbound I-65. While that is happening, northbound traffic will shift to I-65 south.
(http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2010/07/birmingham_i-65corridor_x_proj.html)

codyg1985

Quote from: Grzrd on September 21, 2010, 04:47:09 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on September 21, 2010, 03:42:25 PM
Phase I of the construction is supposed to be linkage of Daniel Payne Drive to I-65 North.  Could you tell if anything was going on there?

"The work, which must be completed by Oct. 15, 2014, will be performed in three or four individual phases to prevent traffic problems, said Steve Hausler, project manager for Archer Western Contractors.

The first part of the project will link Daniel Payne Drive to I-65 North. After that, work will be done on northbound I-65. While that is happening, northbound traffic will shift to I-65 south. "

I couldn't tell if anything was going on there. Construction signs are still up for the project to widen I-65 from I-20/59 to Daniel Payne Dr, but I think there are just some punch list items left on that project since most of the major items have been completed. There are no construction signs between Daniel Payne Dr and Walker's Chapel Rd where the work is supposed to take place.

My guess is that utilities still need to be moved before the work can begin.
Cody Goodman

Tourian

The first part of the project will link Daniel Payne Drive to I-65 North. After that, work will be done on northbound I-65. While that is happening, northbound traffic will shift to I-65 south. "

I'll probably drive through their Sunday to check it out but I doubt anything's changed like you've said. Even still, I thought the interchange was further north then that. I don't even see how Daniel Payne/41st Ave has anything to do with it - or whatever link is needed that isn't already there. The two on and off ramps have already been upgraded.

Grzrd

Looking at the interchange illustration on the link, it looks like they will extend the Daniel Payne/41st on ramp and have it parallel I-65 North for a while so that it can fork for either I-65 North or I-22 West.  Since they may still be clearing utilities, it is very possible there is not anything noticeable yet.

jdb1234

Quote from: Tourian on September 21, 2010, 06:55:37 PM

I'll probably drive through their Sunday to check it out but I doubt anything's changed like you've said. Even still, I thought the interchange was further north then that. I don't even see how Daniel Payne/41st Ave has anything to do with it - or whatever link is needed that isn't already there. The two on and off ramps have already been upgraded.

Actually, only the Northbound I-65 ramp to Daniel Payne Drive and the ramp from Daniel Payne Drive to I-65 Southbound have been upgraded.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on September 21, 2010, 08:25:06 PM
Looking at the interchange illustration on the link, it looks like they will extend the Daniel Payne/41st on ramp and have it parallel I-65 North for a while so that it can fork for either I-65 North or I-22 West.  Since they may still be clearing utilities, it is very possible there is not anything noticeable yet.
Quote from: jdb1234 on September 21, 2010, 08:27:13 PM
Actually, only the Northbound I-65 ramp to Daniel Payne Drive and the ramp from Daniel Payne Drive to I-65 Southbound have been upgraded.
Although the interchange illustration does not indicate it, I assume the far-right lane of the I-22 East to I-65 South ramp will, because of close proximity of Daniel Payne Drive, become an exit-only lane for Daniel Payne Drive, which would explain why there is no current upgrade from I-65 South to Daniel Payne Drive ramp.

Tourian

Quote from: jdb1234 on September 21, 2010, 08:27:13 PM

Ooops, yeah - of course. That's what I meant to say. Those are the only two I've used on a regular basis.

Grzrd

Mississippi DOT recently awarded an approximate $40 million contract for a 3-year reconstruction of Future I-22 between Coldwater River and West Holly Springs Exit: http://www.gomdot.com/bidsystem_data/20100928/LETDOCS/20100928BidAwards.pdf

AWARDED SUBJECT TO CONCURRENCE BY THE FEDERAL HIGHWAY ADMINISTRATION
NH-0006-01(084) / 105510301 & 302
DESOTO & MARSHALL COUNTIES - Reconstruction of U.S. Highway 78 (rubblizing,
milling, removal of concrete, and overlaying) between Coldwater River and the West Holly
Springs Exit
LEHMAN-ROBERTS COMPANY
PO BOX 1603
MEMPHIS, TN 38101 $39,978,826.01

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on August 26, 2010, 03:19:34 PM
"The draft of the [TDOT-financed] study being done by Cambridge Systematics [of Lamar Corridor] ... will identify possible alternative solutions for improving the movement of freight, relieving congestion, levels of service, etc. Some of the categories of solutions are expected to be directed at capacity enhancements, diversion routes, operational solutions, and improvements to other roadways in the study area. Exactly what the report will recommend will not be known until it is finalized."

HUD, in conjunction with Dept. of Transportation, has awarded a grant of $1.26 million to Memphis:

http://cohen.house.gov/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=1320

Wednesday, 20 October 2010  
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Congressman Steve Cohen (TN-9) today announced the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has awarded Memphis a Community Challenge Grant worth $1,260,905 for development of an Aerotropolis/Lamar Corridor Master Plan.  HUD worked with the U.S. Department of Transportation in awarding these new federal funds, which will focus on spurring economic development, rehabilitating blighted and vacant properties, and improving transportation infrastructure.
"The Memphis Aerotropolis is more than a transportation network — it is an economic development engine for the Mid-South,"  said Congressman Cohen, who met recently with Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood to discuss this grant.  "These new federal funds will help Memphis maximize the economic impact of the Aerotropolis and enable us to compete more effectively in a 21st Century global economy..."

Here is text of a related bill that Congressman Cohen introduced in May that could potentially generate more federal funds for Lamar Corridor:

H.R.5236 -- Aerotropolis Act of 2010 (Introduced in House - IH)
HR 5236 IH
111th CONGRESS
2d Session
H. R. 5236
To amend SAFETEA-LU to ensure that projects that assist the establishment of aerotropolis transportation systems are eligible for certain grants, and for other purposes.
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
May 6, 2010
Mr. COHEN (for himself, Mr. DINGELL, Ms. MOORE of Wisconsin, Mr. TANNER, Mr. CHILDERS, Mr. BERRY, Mr. CONYERS, Mr. JOHNSON of Georgia, Ms. GRANGER, Ms. EDDIE BERNICE JOHNSON of Texas, Mr. PERLMUTTER, Mr. PAYNE, Mr. PASCRELL, and Mr. YARMUTH) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
BILL
To amend SAFETEA-LU to ensure that projects that assist the establishment of aerotropolis transportation systems are eligible for certain grants, and for other purposes.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the `Aerotropolis Act of 2010'.
SEC. 2. PROJECTS OF NATIONAL AND REGIONAL SIGNIFICANCE.
(a) Eligible Project Defined- Section 1301(c)(2) of SAFETEA-LU (23 U.S.C. 101 note) is amended to read as follows:
`(2) ELIGIBLE PROJECT-
`(A) IN GENERAL- The term `eligible project' means any surface transportation project eligible for Federal assistance under title 23, United States Code, including freight railroad projects and activities eligible under such title.
`(B) INCLUSION OF AEROTROPOLIS TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM PROJECTS- The term `eligible project' includes a combination of projects described in subparagraph (A) that, as a group--
`(i) assist the establishment of an aerotropolis transportation system; and
`(ii) satisfy the requirement under subsection (d).'.
(b) Aerotropolis Transportation System Defined- Section 1301(c) of SAFETEA-LU (23 U.S.C. 101 note) is amended by adding at the end the following:
`(4) AEROTROPOLIS TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM- The term `aerotropolis transportation system' means a planned and coordinated multimodal freight and passenger transportation network that, as determined by the Secretary, provides efficient, sustainable, and intermodal connectivity to a defined region of economic significance centered around a major airport.'

It will be interesting to see how, if at all, current Cambridge Systematics study on Lamar Corridor being conducted for TDOT and Memphis MPO will be integrated into this study.

My guess is that officials would like to see an I-22 on east side of airport, know that it would be incredibly expensive, and are proactively looking for justifications and money to do it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.